Question about 13" snare drums

Hack_and_Slash

Is it any more crucial to hit the center of the head than it is on a 14" snare drum? I have pretty good control but I do forget to hit the center every now and then. I'm working on it.

Brian L

honestly...yes it is. i have a ddrum 13x7, and it definatly is more important to hit in the center. otherwise, if u hit just alittle bit off, and u get more and more into a raggae almost sounding snare. but the snare i have has a huge tuning range, and is definatly a keeper.

Brian L

what kind of snare do u have??? i think after i use my ddrum s4 snare for a couple of years more, imma look into getting a high end pearl 14 snare. i think 13 inch snares have a higher pitch, probably better for punk or fast paced rock. im looking for something warm that could be used for all rock settings, that i think a 14 could offer. :shock:

Timekeep69

Mine is a Medicine Man. I've played strictly 13" snare for over 10 years. If you put a 7x13 next to a 7x14 of course you'll hear a difference but you can get a 13" to have a nice warm sound as well.

metldrummer2112

I have a 13 and a 14, and honestly it's really just about how you tune it. My 13 is near the top of it's tuning range, and if you miss the center by about an inch, then there is a noticeable difference. but when it's tuned lower it's not as big of a problem. The same goes for my 14. It's all in the tuning

jnewlon_drum

Hack_and_Slash":25yvpcvy said:
Is it any more crucial to hit the center of the head than it is on a 14" snare drum? I have pretty good control but I do forget to hit the center every now and then. I'm working on it.
if u hit the exact center on a snare drum its called a dead zone...u should aim for about an inch off the center to achieve the best timbre or tone of the drum...and about 2 years ago i switched from a 14" to a 13" and theres not really that much of a difference..i adjusted quickly

jad

What sound do you want?
Play to what you need.....if you only want one sound from a drum, you might as well trigger it, save the money from buying good snares and spend it on other equipment or grog :wink:

wmpdrummer13

if u hit the exact center on a snare drum its called a dead zone...u should aim for about an inch off the center to achieve the best timbre or tone of the drum...and about 2 years ago i switched from a 14" to a 13" and theres not really that much of a difference..i adjusted quickly
[/color][/quote]

I agree i always hit a little off center (on purpose) and i accent on the sides