quality crash cymbal

peterisnotyou

i seem to go through 16" crashes like crazy. they are always cracking on me after six months or so. i was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a really good crash, preferably Sabian, that can withstand the thrashing i give it while playing.

SGarrett

peterisnotyou":29gk3z30 said:
i seem to go through 16" crashes like crazy. they are always cracking on me after six months or so. i was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a really good crash, preferably Sabian, that can withstand the thrashing i give it while playing.
Your cymbal technique is either wrong or you're using the wrong sized cymbals for the music you're playing. Brand won't matter, you'll still break them. I'd recommend working on your technique and using an 18" or 19" crash.

xdoseonex

if your breaking cymbals that much your hitting them weird. make sure your not hitting into the cymbal horozontally. and try to hit them across rather than straight down. dont lay into them too much

scotttyrcha

Yes, I agree you've got to be hitting your cymbals wrong to be breaking em every 6 months or so! Either use bigger crashes or change the way you're hitting em. USE STICKS NOT A HAMMER! I've been using a 16" Paiste 2002 for the last 6 yrs. and NEVER had a problem. Before the Paistes I owned and used Zildjians and NEVER broke a cymbal. It's Got to be the way you're hitting em.

Just my 2 cents :eek:

ShadowDrummer

I would say consider what TYPE of crash are you using?
I would hope that your not one of those who buy the thin crashes and wonder why they don't hold up with intense playing...
But in any case...try using the same size but a different model...like a Sabian AA metal crash. Those things are good though I am a Paiste loyalist myself.
Also technique would be a beneficial factor as the post above me mentioned

ShadowDrummer

I would hope that your not one of those who buy the thin crashes and wonder why they don't hold up with intense playing...
But in any case...try using the same size but a different model...like a Sabian AA metal crash. Those things are good though I am a Paiste loyalist myself.

Spydr2000

peterisnotyou":1wqoj5pd said:
Sabians break really easy... I suggest something such as a power crash, also try using a lower line but great sounding cymbal, because of the alloys used they seem to take more of a beating. I use paiste's and tested "beat the hell out of" alpha, 802, and Pst5 and had a really hard time trying to get them to break...

JAdrums2k

I had the same problem a couple years ago while experimenting with different brands. 2 I found that hold up well are SABIAN AAX METAL & ZILDJIAN Z CUSTOM
Built for heavy hitters they take a lot of abuse and are also vry loud, so you tend to hit them a little lighter.
I use the Z CUSTOMS and I haven't broken anything in 2 years

ytsejammer

I use Sabian AAX Metal, and they sound great for many styles. I am a hard hitter at times, playing metal and prog. rock, and I've never broken a Sabian cymbal (been using Sabian for about 5 years). It's probably more your technique than the brand, though, if you're driving directly, straight into the cymbal, that's not very good for it, hit it with a "down and out" motion and maybe you're cymbal life will increase. I don't know how hard you hit, but, you don't need to pound a cymbal for a loud reaction even if you're playing some type of loud rock/metal.

SGarrett

ytsejammer":358oc834 said:
I use Sabian AAX Metal, and they sound great for many styles. I am a hard hitter at times, playing metal and prog. rock, and I've never broken a Sabian cymbal (been using Sabian for about 5 years). It's probably more your technique than the brand, though, if you're driving directly, straight into the cymbal, that's not very good for it, hit it with a "down and out" motion and maybe you're cymbal life will increase. I don't know how hard you hit, but, you don't need to pound a cymbal for a loud reaction even if you're playing some type of loud rock/metal.
Very true. I'm a pretty hard hitter too and I use a 16" and 19" AAX-Plosion and an 18" AAX Metal Crash. You can hit hard as long as you hit correctly. Anyone ever see how hard Dennis Chambers or Dave Weckl hit their cymbals?

A quick search on Google and/or YouTube and you should be able to find a good tutorial on proper cymbal technique.

downshifter99

Sabians do not break easy...you are lost.
I used to think that Zildjians broke easy but,it was my crappy technique.

TECHNIQUE,TECHNIQUE,TECHNIQUE!!!!!!!!

That can NEVER be said enough.

First of all,if you are playing heavy tunes and are using 16" crashes(probly for the tone,pitch)then you are going to break'em,beat the tone out of them,ect...

I play Heavy"stoner/doom/metal"and I use a 21"HH Vintage Ride(as a power crash),a 20"AA medium crash and a 18"AAXplosion crash...they can handle the abuse IF you have good technique.Using the glancing blow/flick-of-the-wrist technique feels weird at first but,it opens-up the volume and saves the cymbals.

I highly recommend the 18"AAXplosion but,first and foremost:GOOD TECHNIQUE!!!

Reggie Miller

I used to break cymbals because i had my crashes flat, so when i would hit them, i would hit the edge alot. I finally angled them down a bit so that the tip of the stick would hit. I dont know how you position your set, but that helped me when i was younger, plus my parents always bought me cheap shit like B8's or ZHT's. Ive had a 16" Ziljian Avedis thin crash for about 4 years and its still my main crash. It is mostly technique, but shitty gear wont last long.

Johnny Cat

Sigh.... Soooooo sick of this " (insert cymbal brand name here) break easily". Complete and utter horseshit.

Look at the way you're hitting your cymbal, the way you have it angled on the stand, how loose the wingnut is (that is, it SHOULD be loose), what condition your felt washers are in, even the sticks you're using, and of course, the type and DIMENSIONS of the cymbal you're hitting, including weight. What are your expectations with the cymbal you're hitting?

These two reasons can really be interchanged because they are so closely related, but I would still say the number one cause of a broken cymbal is hitting it wrong, and number two is using the wrong cymbal for the job. If you want a lot of volume out of a cymbal, DON'T buy a 16" thin or even a medium thin. It will only cause you to want to hit it harder trying to get more volume out of it, which it is completely incapable of doing, and that of course goes back to problem number 1, hitting it wrong. The result is a broken cymbal.

Don't smack the shit out of it. Don't follow through. Hit it with a glancing motion, or snap your arm back as soon as you make contact. DON'T hit it directly on the edge either.

xdoseonex

ShadowDrummer":3vj9zowx said:
thin crashes tend to "flex when you hit them. thicker cymbals dont give as much, theyre almost brittle so thin crashes in many cases accually are less likely to break then thick ones

BigDave

I haven't broken a crash in about 4 years, not since i raised my throne to get a better angle on the pedals. i was higher up, but i didn't raise my cymbals, so i was playing down onto them.

I did crack my Z custom mastersound hats a while back but that was just a mix of general wear and tear and bad technique