Putting a kit together around a Ludwig acrolite

treadmarks

OK so this is probably a retarded question. I started putting my kit together ass backward- now i got everything except a bass drum! And finding a bass drum on its own has not been easy. My question: what bass drum would pair well together with a ludwig acrolite snare? Not that it really matters but also using paiste hats and sabian ride. I appreciate the advice in advance- thanks!

Airborne Ranger

The Acrolite is an underappreciated gem. The drum has a somewhat dry sound but very versatile at the same time. It would pair well with a 20" or 22" bass. It's versatility would make it work with any bass size really, especially a birch drum because those drums seem a little more mid-range-y and dryer than maple. It depends on the style you play and personal pref. I use mine with a maple Ludwig set and it always gets compliments. My favorite snare is my Ludwig hammered bronze, but the Acrolite is a close second.

dbkman

treadmarks":1e4jvsg5 said:
Someone suggested a mahogany bass to go with the acrolite. Any thoughts on that? Birch vs. Mahogany?
Go with birch. that's just my vote.

Airborne Ranger

Birch might be a better compliment. But, if you are talking about about a 50's-60's Ludwig/Slingerland/Leedy 3ply with mahogany interior/outer ply those are great sounding drums and are very responsive to head tension/selection and would work well with the Acrolite. The Acrolite has the same aluminum shell as the Supra (minus 2 lugs and the chrome plating) so it will work well with just about anything, just as a Supraphonic does. What kind of sound are you looking for? What kind of music will you play?

EOTE_drummer

depends on the "mahogany".

true mahogany is more rare than birch or maple, and personally i think sounds better. that phillipine mahogany stuff entry level kits come with is garbage though...

just go with birch