Purple Rainbow Glitter Tom in Special Worn Finish

Timekeep69

Dude, you're going to have a helluva time selling just a tom, I suggest you at least make a matching 3 piece (bass drum and rack tom) and sell it as a set. No one is going to buy just a tom unless it already matches what they have.

Just my $.02

zen_drummer

Cheerful-Bear":1mfb4xlh said:
Why what?

Why would you think anybody would buy a single tom in a random finish?

And WHY would you think you could break even on it when you clearly must have paid retail plus shipping for every single part on that drum? This assuming you have 240 bucks invested in it, as you indicated by the -220 comment...

And WHY would anybody want it as a snare drum if you cut snare beds into it?

And by the time you have snares, beds, a decent throw-off and butt, you'll have $350.00 invested in it... WHY WOULD ANYBODY BUY IT?

so....

ummmmmm....

WHY?

zen_drummer

Cheerful-Bear":2oq2shdq said:
Because they feel like it. STFU.

EXCUSE ME?

Look, you little pissant... who the hell do you think you are telling ANYBODY to STFU on this forum?

Are you freaking KIDDING ME?

SOMEBODY needs a DML vacation...

That was COMPLETELY uncalled for.

Completely.

stump

Cheerful-Bear":1tds92sj said:
Because they feel like it. STFU.
Ok there young one. You have once again stepped over the line. Though Zen can be blunt and some folks don't like that...he is not disrespectful. You asked and he gave his side which you obviously did not like. That though does not give you the right to tell ANYONE here to STFU. I REALLY suggest that you check yourself. P.O.Y!

Timekeep69

I agree with Stump. Zen knows what he's talking about and he gives it to you straight, no sugar coating.

Anyone who builds a drum and puts it up here or any other board opens themselves to critique, both good and bad. For you to tell him to STFU was crossing the line. If you can't handle the critiques, don't post pics.

I also agree with Zen in the fact that no one is going to buy a single tom with a random finish except maybe someone who is into jelly bean kits.

If you're going to build a single drum, build a snare, people will buy snares that don't match the rest of their kit but not toms.

Brother_Bong

Timekeep69":2sessjnm said:
I agree with Stump. Zen knows what he's talking about and he gives it to you straight, no sugar coating.

Anyone who builds a drum and puts it up here or any other board opens themselves to critique, both good and bad. For you to tell him to STFU was crossing the line. If you can't handle the critiques, don't post pics.

I also agree with Zen in the fact that no one is going to buy a single tom with a random finish except maybe someone who is into jelly bean kits.

If you're going to build a single drum, build a snare, people will buy snares that don't match the rest of their kit but not toms.
+1000

cableman26

:shock: Finally I find the missing tom from my purple rainbow glitter kit!!!!!!!

............................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zen_drummer

Cheerful-Bear":1stn3l40 said:
Which is why I suggested converting it to a snare, which he for some reason totally thought was a stupid idea. Bye.

OK, let's back up here, instead of re-writing history, shall we?

You posted that you had a SINGLE 10x12 tom in a REALLY unique finish for sale.

You didn't mention "getting snare beds" until later. You simply posted a SINGLE tom tom for sale.

In a REALLY unique finish.

I, being the curious type that I am when I see something that makes absolutely NO Sense at all... Well... I asked WHY!

I can't imagine why you would list a single tom for sale that absolutely NOBODY has the match for.

No worries there, I was curious why... Innocent enough.

Then you proceeded to indicate that you were actually trying to make money with it. You didn't indicate how much you actually wanted, which of course is really a very hard way to actually SELL something, since we're all supposed to get inside your head and simply GUESS what kind of offer you would accept for it... again... not the best way to sell something, but I digress. You must have been absent when it was suggested that PRICES should be listed with items for sale in the classified section.

THEN you say you're going to be "getting snare beds" and turn it into a snare.

Fair enough... but the very concept of "getting snare beds" indicates you lack the skills and tools to actually make the snare beds yourself.

NOW... you think that I suggested that turning into a snare drum was a preposterous idea. In this case you're correct, but allow me to explain why...

You claim you have 240 dollars invested already. I believe that. Now you're going to pay somebody to cut some snare beds, buy a throw-off and a butt, and some snare wires. Thats another hundred bucks AT LEAST, if done correctly, with snares, throw-off and butt of the same quality as the rest of the hardware. Now you're in for 340-350 dollars.

And yes, I think that's a preposterous idea, to expect to even come close to breaking even at $340.00 on a 10x12 snare drum made by a 14 year old young man.

Here's the reality: From what I can surmise, you paid FULL retail for all those parts . A custom drum maker with established relationships could make that drum, in a different finish, of course... for a fraction of what you paid for it. You're not going to break-even, so why go there? It makes NO sense!

Make a floor tom and a kick that matches. Play the kit yourself. It suits your taste. If you want to make custom drums as a hobby, that's fine... get with PJ and have him show you some tricks of the trade to get stuff at the right price.

I'm not insulting your drum... I haven't done that at all. Anybody that KNOWS me knows that I really LIKE drums with... errr... LOUD finishes... even CLOWN finishes (stump... steve... bong.... back me up on this claim, you've seen my drums), in fact, I like your hardware concept a lot. I'm not loving the stripes and the execution of much of the finish, but conceptually, I don't hate the drum.

But let's get everything out in the open here, shall we? You and I have a little bit of a history... don't we? You did ANOTHER deal which was "make an offer", to which I made an offer that was completely reasonable... SO reasonable that it was within a DOLLAR of what you eventally netted, as you may recall. And in that SAME context, you were dismissive towards me, and frankly, it was a slap in the face. So... STRAIGHT UP, I don't like you, and apparently you don't like me. It's ok to disagree. If you find me to be at least as irritating as I find you to be, then I can understand that, and we should be able to agree to co-exist in this place where we spend at least SOME time each day. I don't expect to get along with everybody, all of the time.

I'm not here to MAKE friends, while it's always good to have as many as possible. I AM here, to BE a friend to those that can benefit from a few years of experience I have to offer. In many cases, I WILL make friends, in others, not so much... but my advice and comments are ALWAYS in the spirit of advancing anybody that cares to listen along the path of playing the drums, or being involved in making, selling or collecting drums.

I think my track record here speaks for itself. I can be harsh and abrasive... I can be sarcastic and aloof... but at the end of the day, I don't sugar-coat anything and call the shots the way I see 'em... win, lose, or draw. The music business can be harsh... consider me to be a part of the "head-start" program.

So feel to disagree with me... as I just so happen to disagree with you... but don't tell ME or ANYBODY else to STFU on this or any other board because SOME DAY, you're gonna do that and you'll be handed your teeth in a zip-lock bag by somebody that doesn't find you amusing.

I may be harsh, but damnit, I AM NOT disrespectful.

Now go build a bass drum and a floor tom and enjoy your kit.

BYE

Cheerful-Bear

I'm sorry about that tambourine. I thought I could make more on ebay, which I was wrong. And I can't make snare beds or bearing edges because I don't have the kind of money to get tools like that. And I wasn't planning on making profit. You won't hear from me much on this forum now.