Protecting your ears

shiebcte

yea i just got some of those hearos, me and my brother (the bassist) and they work amazing. Its like you just turn everything down a little bit. Deffinetly recomend them

Rockula!

Whan I was using ear plugs (and will be again), I would put them in 20 minutes before going on
My ears didn't physically adjust like your eyes do with shades, but I mentally adjusted
Plus, I like to be left alone just before going on anyways so it helps to isolate myself from everyone

drummerdude_08

I Use Some Foam Ear Plugs. You Can Probably By Them At Your Local Music Store. They Are Made Specifically For Musicians! They Work Very Well. My Band Had 2 Guiatist With 150 Watt Amps Each, Vocalist, Bassist with 200 Watts, and Me! And They Worked Very Well For Me! You Can Still Hear And Its Not That Loud! Its A Comfortable Level!

xdoseonex

i m not sure if anyone reccomending those blue vic firth headphones have acually used them in a band setting. they are horrible for playing with a band. they let all the low end through while cutting out all the high end. cheap earplugs do the opposite. they cut out all the low end and let you hear only highs. try this, put a pair of earplugs in along with those blue vic firth sound isolating headphones. you drums will sound absolutely amazing. you wont be able to believe your ears. its as if theyre recorded in a professional studio, mixed, mastered and played back to you

drumur

i never wear earplugs and I've paid a price. I have constant ringing in my ears.
My reason was that I can never hear the high-end of the cymbals...especially the ride if I wear them. Also, I hit 10 times harder to compensate. I tried wearing hearos on my last gig and I ended up cracking a Zildjian A custom crash.
I'm going to try to find a pair that aren't as muffling...the ones made for musicians.

GrindheadJim

BillRayDrums":34ttquc0 said:
I use the Hearos brand
http://www.hearos.com/products-00211.htm

Don't waste your money on the custom molds. Reason why is that while they seal completely to your ear canal, when you open your mouth the shape of your ear canal changes slightly, therefore "breaking the seal". The Hearos I linked to stay sealed, and they are exponentially less expensive (like 12 times)....Custom Ear molds- $150-200. Hearos- $14.99

If you are not using hearing protection now, eventually you will have to stick something in your ears. They're called "hearing aids". I have what is called "nerve deafness" where if there is background noise and you are right in my face, I cannot understand one word you say.
I've been using Hearos for over twelve years now, and they have lessened my hearing loss considerably. Add to that five years in the Marine Corps, and a almost ten years of playing and going to shows w/o earplugs, and you have why I still developed tinnitus.

WEAR PROTECTION.

progressiveman

I used to use my in-ears shure and they worked so great for me, but since they broke, I'm using some cheap earplugs... DUHHH!!! but at least they protect my ears and i can play comfortable.
Nice.

vinniesfollower

I just recently purchased a pair of Vic Firth SIH1 Isolation Headphones and they are superb quality for less than 60 dollars Canadian. You may be passionate about drumming but ear protection is almost as important as your playing.

triggagnomic

I use 'Doc's Pro Plugs for rehearsal.... they cost about £12/$24 and cut out nearly all the high frequencies that hurt my ears. They also make the drums sound better because they cut the ultra low frequencies down a bit too. In fact they make me play a bit softer into the bargain!

For live gigs I have a cheap monitoring system I bought consisting of a 10 track mixer and headphones. That way, not only do I get a significant reduction in volume, but I can also change the mix to suit my needs. (especially useful when dealing with guitarists....!) I understand that it's a lot of money to spend, (£80/$160 for the desk, £60/$120 for Sure In-ear monitoring) but considering the money we have to spend on cymbals/drums/sticks/heads etc, it's a small price to pay to keep my hearing! Hope this helps.....

brfdrums

i use in-ear monitors at rehearsal and in live settings. yes they can get costly, but, absolutely worth it.

Alexander

BillRayDrums":2z5xxrfj said:
I use the Hearos brand
http://www.hearos.com/products-00211.htm

Don't waste your money on the custom molds. Reason why is that while they seal completely to your ear canal, when you open your mouth the shape of your ear canal changes slightly, therefore "breaking the seal". The Hearos I linked to stay sealed, and they are exponentially less expensive (like 12 times)....Custom Ear molds- $150-200. Hearos- $14.99

If you are not using hearing protection now, eventually you will have to stick something in your ears. They're called "hearing aids". I have what is called "nerve deafness" where if there is background noise and you are right in my face, I cannot understand one word you say.
BillRayDrums is right! Those Musician's Hearos are the Best! My whole band wears them during practice & gigs so that WE'RE ALL HEARING THE SAME THING AT ALL TIMES & NOT GOING DEAF :!: I used to wear those Sonic II filters from 1989-1991 but they cannot campare to those Hearos above! My hearing is perfect still! Thanx to being told to wear ear plugs when I was a basher of drums & cymbals. Now that I play more Fusionesque or Jazz type music my filters are PERFECT! BUY THEM MUSICIAN'S HEAROS FOR $14.99!

:D

jaredribble

I am surprised no one has mentioned WESTONE! http://www.westone.com/

Your audiologist will certainly know of them. They design earplugs, and in ear monitors. If you get the $150.00 molded earplugs with the filters you will be amazed. When I first put them in, I did not believe they worked because the cymbals were so crisp, etc. Visually the audience would never see them, people can talk around you, and you can still hear them, etc. They have less expensive models, but I strongly recommend the molded earplugs with the filters. Your audiologist will be able to take the molds and send them in to Westone for you.

I am actually blown away that people would buy heads, and cymbals before they would take care of their ears. You can't get new ears, but you can be patient and save up to buy new gear anytime. Be smart guys!

demonathic

just use tissues - bundled up tightly, helps out alot. Used ear plugs, and they over-did it for me... or maybe my hearing's already screwed up?
:?

BillRayDrums

jaredribble":2nhq6b1p said:
I am surprised no one has mentioned WESTONE! http://www.westone.com/

Your audiologist will certainly know of them. They design earplugs, and in ear monitors. If you get the $150.00 molded earplugs with the filters you will be amazed. When I first put them in, I did not believe they worked because the cymbals were so crisp, etc. Visually the audience would never see them, people can talk around you, and you can still hear them, etc. They have less expensive models, but I strongly recommend the molded earplugs with the filters. Your audiologist will be able to take the molds and send them in to Westone for you.

I am actually blown away that people would buy heads, and cymbals before they would take care of their ears. You can't get new ears, but you can be patient and save up to buy new gear anytime. Be smart guys!
I was saying that the custom molds (Westones) are a bit superfluous because as you move your jaw when you play, the seal breaks slightly and effects the way sound comes in....for me, anyway. I've been through 4 pairs of custom molds (as in 4 trips to the audiologist).... the Hearo's provide better results and are 10 times cheaper.

BLS2112

shiebcte":14pajdd0 said:
Theres now 3 guitarists, 2 vocalists, a bassist and me in my band, and its getting rather loud in my basement. Im starting to get worried about my hearing and im wondering if any of you know of anything to protect my ears without canceling out all the sounds i need to hear.
Shooting headsets...Firing range type...For rehearsal...
Gander Mountain or Dick's sell good ones...With various DB blocking...
They even make your drums sound better... ':eek:I