pros and cons of reinforcing rings?

break the prism

they take the overtones out without sacrificing the natural tone, but they can get in the way every now and then. also, they inhibit rimshots a little.

drummert2k

break the prism":6oodhfvn said:
they take the overtones out without sacrificing the natural tone, but they can get in the way every now and then. also, they inhibit rimshots a little.
. not real sure how they can get in the way or effect rimshots when they are on the inside of the shell under the heads. unless im not sure if you're commenting on something differant or if im thinking the wrong thing.

are we talking about the reinforcement rings on the inside of the drum.

in my opinion they absorb a little of the vibration giving the drum a little warmer of a sound. also picking up some of that vibration will help a little on the reso head. keep those over tones under control a little more than without.

this is just what i have found.

not sure if they have something to do with making the drum more "ridgid" or "solid" effecting the shell vibration. so i'd be personally interested in finding out more about them and what differant thicknesses and stuff could do to the sound of a drum.

drummert2k

then i think you're looking for "studio rings" or something similar. you talking about using them to muffle the drum andhelp control the overtones?

break the prism

not necessarily get in the way...but having them on top of the drum sometimes makes the rimshot less intense sounding.
the ones on the inside are great. you still get natural resonance, but no ringing overtones.