problematic lead singers

Steven McTowelie

i know pretty much everyone on the board has probably experienced a problematic lead singer in a band at some point or another. i'm dealing with one right now, and i just thought i'd ask how you guys deal with it. what do you guys consider just a pain, or when do you throw in the towel and kick them out? we'd have kicked out our guy months ago, but since he's the singer, they're pretty hard to replace without totally reinventing the band. i'm just hoping to get some feedback from fellow drummers. thanks in advance!

drummert2k

its easier to spend a month or 2 getting a new singer up to par than it is to worry about the never ending battle with him. trust me, i know. i never understood why the guy in the band that only has to show up at the show with a mic and a cable is the one to cause the trouble.

but they wont magically change and jump on board as a team player if they arent already. so maybe tell them straight out that they are very easily replaceable and to get their head out of their butt or if problems have been going on for a while just tell them that they screwed themselve and find a new singer.

Steven McTowelie

Timekeep69":7wod8orr said:
What kind of problem are you having?

I think ALL singers are problematic. :D
well just for example, we had to cancel a show last weekend because he had a tickle in his throat - i'm not even kidding - and he said he couldn't sing up to the level he wanted to. so we had to cancel, because he basically refused to play. things like that have been ongoing with him and we would've given him the boot long ago, but he sings and plays guitar, so we'd have to find someone else who can do both or just add a new singer and guitarist.

drummert2k, thanks for your advice! pretty soon we'll probably be telling him he screwed himself and just finding someone else. being in a band is hard enough without having to worry about your singer showing up to the show. at least if we replace someone at this point we can move on, but if we stick with him it seems like our rep has a good chance of being tarnished.

stump

Man....don't let it drag out!! If you guys have decided to boot him then get to it. Don't let problems continue to grow. Singers are a bit hard to come by, atleast good ones, but don't let the rest of the band suffer because of one guy and his problems. Do it and do it quick! Peace on ya!

MuzZle

I agree with everyone, it is better in the long run to part ways early then have to deal with it at the point of no return. Our old lead singer was the biggest prima donna douche and we went out of our way to cater to all his needs, practice times, sore throats, all that shit. but we had enough and we sat him don and told him professionally he had to change his attitude because it was promoting a negative atmosphere, he didn't listen and got huffy and left the band and that has been the best thing that has happened to us. Dont let one person's downfalls bring you all down.

Timekeep69

I concur with everyone else. He's causing some serious problems. You're better off canning him and taking the time to find someone else.

phoenix7289

You know.... the lead singer most often has nothing to fight with... so what we could all do, is take our instruments and beat him/her with them and basically tell them, get your ass in place man!

Steven McTowelie

thanks for all the advice and support guys. i talked to my bass player and other guitarist tonight, and we're going to sit him down and have a talk about his attitude. either he can shape up or walk. the sad thing is we just started building a name for ourselves locally, and he's thinking he's axel rose. i've had singers that were problems before, but nothing even remotely close to this guy.

Roc_Hardwell

Unless your singer defines your bands sound; he/she should get on board or get out.

A band equals the sum of it's parts and if every one involved isn't giving their best they will limit your accumulative potential.

phoenix7289

Roc_Hardwell":o4v97szz said:
Unless your singer defines your bands sound; he/she should get on board or get out.

A band equals the sum of it's parts and if every one involved isn't giving their best they will limit your accumulative potential.
Said like a true member of a real band. Very nice.

loosesticks

stump":7y7becb2 said:
Man....don't let it drag out!! If you guys have decided to boot him then get to it. Don't let problems continue to grow. Singers are a bit hard to come by, atleast good ones, but don't let the rest of the band suffer because of one guy and his problems. Do it and do it quick! Peace on ya!
very well put dont delay. we found talk is cheap and most likely the singer will walk if you tell them they need to change.. not good to keep them and bring down the rest of the band or ruin your reputation, dump his ass

drumminal

Man, I've delt with this kind of crap many times over the years. It never gets better. Can his ass. If he has a problem with that, then kick it. Also, you should be looking for a replacement now, especially if your starting to get some recognition as a band. This may sound cold, but if you have not talked to him yet you may want to hold off. That way, prospects can come to a show, provided that the little primadonna will play it, and check it out. This way you have options. If you find someone else and still feel guilty about looking behind his back, you can sit him down for a talk. This is a business, and as such you are not always notified if you head is on the chopping block.

Good luck.

Wintersongs

drummert2k":1ble4864 said:
its easier to spend a month or 2 getting a new singer up to par than it is to worry about the never ending battle with him. trust me, i know. i never understood why the guy in the band that only has to show up at the show with a mic and a cable is the one to cause the trouble.

but they wont magically change and jump on board as a team player if they arent already. so maybe tell them straight out that they are very easily replaceable and to get their head out of their butt or if problems have been going on for a while just tell them that they screwed themselve and find a new singer.
Agreed 100%! I hate to be harsh about this, but life is too short to waste on lost causes. If you see that this guy is going to be an ongoing problem, you need to cut him loose. There is no sense in trying to create music you enjoy, only to have everything involved turn into an ordeal. That's a reason that I'm sure more than one of us have left a band; someone was shitting the bed, and nothing was being done about it. Save your sanity, dump the chump.

BroadwayJoeyB

It seems really obvious that this guy is already leaning towards premadonna tendencies. If your band doesn't give him the boot, then he's in definite need of a "musical code red". The more successful you guys become, the worse his attitude is going to get. A great frontman is hard to find, but unless he's David Lee Roth, you need to make sure he knows that he's not bigger than the band. Chances are his friends are telling him that he's the entire show and he's starting to buy into it. I wish you luck

thelegendofdale

I've had quite a few problematic lead singers in my life. Two years ago, the attitude and laziness of 1 cost my former band a chance at Geffen records, and the opporotunity to go on tour. Cut your problem off at the head, and fire his ass immediately.Other wise the same thing may happen to you, and he'll screw you over when you need him to come through the most.

OzThrasher

Steven McTowelie":13mfdi61 said:
Timekeep69":13mfdi61 said:
What kind of problem are you having?

I think ALL singers are problematic. :D
well just for example, we had to cancel a show last weekend because he had a tickle in his throat - i'm not even kidding - and he said he couldn't sing up to the level he wanted to. so we had to cancel, because he basically refused to play. things like that have been ongoing with him and we would've given him the boot long ago, but he sings and plays guitar, so we'd have to find someone else who can do both or just add a new singer and guitarist.

drummert2k, thanks for your advice! pretty soon we'll probably be telling him he screwed himself and just finding someone else. being in a band is hard enough without having to worry about your singer showing up to the show. at least if we replace someone at this point we can move on, but if we stick with him it seems like our rep has a good chance of being tarnished.
Are you the new drummer for Guns 'n' Roses....lmao sorry had to say that.

All I really gotta say on the matter on a serious note tho, is I agree with t2k 100% each member should be worrying about what THEY need to do for the band. If not, find someone who will.

stump

FelterSkelter":1jg7fg40 said:
Most of the time I tune out the vocals when I hear bands, unless it's something very exceptional.
I think that you missed the point dude.

break the prism

the old singer in my band was a real asshole. he'd do shit like sit down and not be serious during practice, tell our bassist what to play, get pissed off when we would add to/change a song he wrote or when one of us wrote lyrics to a song, and he would always be playing guitar during practice louder than everyone else even though he didn't even play guitar in the band.
needless to say we cut him loose.