Primus

stump

Any Primus fans out there? I am a big fan myself. Tim Alexander brought alot to the table early on with the somewhat off kilter style and the abundance of effects cymbals. The guy is definitly original but hey when you play with Les Claypool that is a requirment. Any thoughts?

drummert2k

very weird and interesting. and thats what i love about it. i've been into primus for quite a few years now.

Call me Gideon

I've loved Primus since the early 90's but I jsut recent started rebuying they're albums (all of mine were stolen at one point.). Very cool stuff...been listening to Sailing the Seas of Cheese, for the past 2 weeks.

drumsforlife

I've been a fan of Primus since I was 16. That year I worked at the local movie theater here and one of my coworkers turned me on to them, Yes, very very good stuff.

stump

Call me Gideon":1qx17dga said:
I've loved Primus since the early 90's but I jsut recent started rebuying they're albums (all of mine were stolen at one point.). Very cool stuff...been listening to Sailing the Seas of Cheese, for the past 2 weeks.
Check out Les Claypools new one, Colonel Claypools Bucket of Bernie Brains. He has Tim back on drums and Bucket Head on the wood stump and strings. Sick stuff man! Gotta love it. Peace on ya!

iatemygoat

hell yeah!

my brother got me into them and a couple years ago i went on a Primus spree and bought like 4 of their albums. but lately i havent listened to much of them.

trstn

It was my 2nd week in the "big" city, I just started my student life and I was sitting in a friends old rusty car and he put in a tape, "Suck on this", I recognized YYZ, "hey what's that?", a joint and a tape side later I expierenced my very personal cultural revolution.

I'm a huge Primus fan :D

trstn

screamkevin

I guess I'm in the minority, in that I absolutely detest Primus. I respect the hell out of Tim Alexander's playing, but I just can't stand the band. In my opinion, Les Claypool is a joke. He needs 8 strings to do on a bass what Billy Sheehan can do with 4. You want to hear some real bass playing, buy anything from Talas (Billy Sheehan) or David Lee Roth's "Eat 'Em And Smile" (Billy Sheehan), anything from Rush (Geddy Lee), Tower Of Power (Rocco Prestia) or some old Weather Report (Jaco Pastorius).

Sorry, that's just my taste.

FelterSkelter

screamkevin":2mwrpiz2 said:
I guess I'm in the minority, in that I absolutely detest Primus. I respect the hell out of Tim Alexander's playing, but I just can't stand the band. In my opinion, Les Claypool is a joke. He needs 8 strings to do on a bass what Billy Sheehan can do with 4. You want to hear some real bass playing, buy anything from Talas (Billy Sheehan) or David Lee Roth's "Eat 'Em And Smile" (Billy Sheehan), anything from Rush (Geddy Lee), Tower Of Power (Rocco Prestia) or some old Weather Report (Jaco Pastorius).

WOW! To each their own but I wouldn't think of Claypool as a joke. I've been a Primus fan since I was about 10 or 11 when I saw a tape of them at Woodstock '94. One of my favorite discs is actually one of Les' side projects "Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel: Highball with the devil"

m

I've been listening to Primus since they started. Les can get a bit sloppy, but he has a unique style (I believe that over the past few years he's been concentrating more on playing 4-string, you'll find that's his primary instrument lately), and Ler doesn't really satisfy my guitar cravings, but Tim A has been a huge influence for me and I really enjoy his playing.

I saw them open for Rush in the early '90s; it was quite a show.
I think Tim's use of double-bass is some of the most tasteful around, and it's interesting to note that he was involved in the develpment of the Zilbel.

SmellsLikeIan

stump":2aapufhc said:
Check out Les Claypools new one, Colonel Claypools Bucket of Bernie Brains. He has Tim back on drums and Bucket Head on the wood stump and strings. Sick stuff man! Gotta love it. Peace on ya!

Yeah, and Brenie Worrell from p-funk on the keys, I think. Another good one is Frizzle Fry, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that one. One of my buds gave me the DVD last Christmas where they do the whole Frizzle Fry album. "To Defy the Laws of Tradition" "Too Many Puppies" and "When the Toys go Winding Down" are all standouts in my opinion.

stump

SmellsLikeIan":3j3cd1n8 said:
stump":3j3cd1n8 said:

Yeah, and Brenie Worrell from p-funk on the keys, I think. Another good one is Frizzle Fry, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that one. One of my buds gave me the DVD last Christmas where they do the whole Frizzle Fry album. "To Defy the Laws of Tradition" "Too Many Puppies" and "When the Toys go Winding Down" are all standouts in my opinion.
Yeah...how could I forget Bernie? I saw an awesome show when he was playing with Gov't Mule! Genius!

SmellsLikeIan

drummer912":1iwux3uv said:
primus is awesome. love the intro to john the fisherman.
Oh wow, no shit, just remembered that one....And Screamkevin, no disrespect intended, you can like Geddy Lee and not Les Claypool if you like, but Les studied with Mr. Lee and Primus opened for Rush on a tour. So I guess Geddy has a little respect for primus, even if some people don't. I went to Ozzfest a few years back (98 or 99 maybe?) and people were throwing shit at primus. What a bunch of meatheads.

shiebcte

Im a huge primus fan and a huge Tim Alexander fan. "My name is mud" is one hell of a song. As is "Winona's Big Brown Beaver"...classic.

xdoseonex

screamkevin":1kw6wvxk said:

Its kinda strange that you think of one of the best bassists around as a joke