pretty big dilemma, your opinions would really help!

rundylanrunn

our bass player is on his way out of the band, his heart just really isn't anymore so he's only staying until we get someone else.

a guy who used to play drums in a band we played with occasionally is wanting to come in on bass, and that's all well and good. however, he's sort of a bigger guy, not really fat or anything, just big like a viking. our singer had the idea that he could come in on drums and i could move to bass, and probably onto guitar eventually.

it's a pretty frustrating decision to make. obviously, i love drumming a whole whole lot. it's my passion. but i know that having me in front as opposed to in back of the stage would benefit the band more than having this dude in the front. he's the kind of guy that if he's behind the kit would look super tough, but if he was up front he'd just look kind of out of place.

i'll always play drums. whether it's in a band or not. i don't want to become just another bass player or just another guitar player though. i feel confident that i'd bring a lot to the band on bass with stage presence and being able to sing more than i currently can while i'm playing drums.

it's a big decision. and the dude said that if we try him on drums for a while and i hate it, we can switch and he won't be sad or anything.

so opinions? should i give it a go?

BillRayDrums

For starters, why not play drums regardless of what happens in your band? Being able to play bass will actually improve your drumming abilities. You are young, and developing proficiency on a number of instruments is a great thing.

If you dig the band then stay on, whatever your position. If playing drums means more to you than the band then find a band who needs a drummer.

You're always a drummer...at least in the eyes whom "know" you as such. :D

See how easy that is?

jermsywermsy

dude ive seen plenty of bands with huge huge dudes up front with guitars and it looks totally fine.

for example, theres this band called the handshake murders, there vocalist is god like huge, and the drummer just does his thing, and it flows like water!

so just do what you do, and let the beast of a man rock out up front!

ChrisNichols

If it was me in this situation the answer would be a huge, resounding no.

The big question is whether you like playing drums or bass more. That's the most important thing here. You're the original drummer and no one has the right to squeeze you out onto an instrument you're obviously much less passionate about just so the band looks a bit more 'normal'. Visual aspect should never have any sway in decisions like that.

And besides, the size of the guy in question makes no difference whatsoever. As long as he can actually play, he won't seem out of place just cause he's big. A guy who resembles a Viking will look tough whether he's on drums, bass, or bloody lute.

If you love the drums that much, stand your ground! This should be your decision.

rundylanrunn

don't get me wrong, it's totally my decision. they're not pushing me to choose one over the other. i just want to do what will be best for the band.

i DO have a big passion for drumming. i also have a big passion for playing music in front of people.

and i totally agree with the statements about image and how the size of a person shouldn't matter. the problem is that 15 year old kids usually don't share that perspective.

i was initially leaning towards moving to bass BUT

i dunno how to say this without sounding totally faggy, but when i think about not getting to play drums every night on tour anymore, i totally got a crazy sad feeling in myself. weird.

it's like, drums are how i express myself. i wouldn't know how to express myself on a bass.

decisions suck!!

rundylanrunn

BillRayDrums":304kaxgj said:
For starters, why not play drums regardless of what happens in your band? Being able to play bass will actually improve your drumming abilities. You are young, and developing proficiency on a number of instruments is a great thing.

If you dig the band then stay on, whatever your position. If playing drums means more to you than the band then find a band who needs a drummer.

You're always a drummer...at least in the eyes whom "know" you as such. :D

See how easy that is?
and yeah, i said earlier that i will always play drums, regardless of what i play in the band.

i guess i'm just bad at making decisions.

antiunderscores

ChrisNichols":30wffr3s said:
And besides, the size of the guy in question makes no difference whatsoever. As long as he can actually play, he won't seem out of place just cause he's big. A guy who resembles a Viking will look tough whether he's on drums, bass, or bloody lute.

If you love the drums that much, stand your ground! This should be your decision.
i would say play drums if that how u express yourself and then the viking guy can go on lute than u can pay for me to move ove to america and then we can all live under the sea... everybody wins!

Rob Crisp

Whatever happens, make sure it's your decision and your comfortable with it.

As for his physique, I'd just say Bowling for Soup. :)

PatternsInTheIvy

I dont want to sound too cynical, but for the style of music your playing, band mates are pretty interchangeable, so if the guys willing to let you play drums again, I would try it out, and see if you like it.

Vanden

Rob Crisp":1pzvw85n said:
Whatever happens, make sure it's your decision and your comfortable with it.

As for his physique, I'd just say Bowling for Soup. :)
Yeah and also, The Wonder Years are all big guys and have big Viking beards. One of the new found glory bassists/guitarists is pretty big if i remember right.

TwistedFate

rundylanrunn":39psnft6 said:
when i think about not getting to play drums every night on tour anymore, i totally got a crazy sad feeling in myself. weird.

it's like, drums are how i express myself. i wouldn't know how to express myself on a bass.
I can understand wanting to do what's best for the band, but you being happy is what's best for the band. If you aren't happy with the instrument you are playing it's going to show. From the quote above it sounds like your choice has been made.

Alan_

In one of the bands I play in, I play bass on 2 songs, guitar on 2 songs, and drums on the rest. Audiences LOVE it when bands switch instruments mid-set. Have ya'll thought about switching out on different songs?

SGarrett

Here's my thought. Stop worrying so much about image and be more concerned with who's playing ability best fits a given instrument. If he's a better guitarist than you and you're a better drummer than him, why would it make sense to switch because of image? :)

SmellsLikeIan

We have MTV to thank for this kind of thinking. "Will my band look cool enough if...." It shouldn't even be an issue. Just play the instrument you like, and if this guy doesn't like playing bass, then maybe you should look for a different person altogether to play bass.

ChrisNichols

Alan_":3c7nl9xu said:
In one of the bands I play in, I play bass on 2 songs, guitar on 2 songs, and drums on the rest. Audiences LOVE it when bands switch instruments mid-set. Have ya'll thought about switching out on different songs?
Also an excellent idea.

Plus, it sounds as if this guy WANTED to come in on bass in the first place, so...

MasterShake89

if you love drums, play drums.
If you dont, you'll nitpick everything the drummer is doing while u guys are playing.

seriously tho, stay on drums, get the big dude for bass or if u dont like him that much find another bass player.

Alan_

If it were me, I would try songs out with the other guy on drums and you on bass, then switch out instruments back to you on drums and do a li'l A/B comparison. See which songs sound/feel better with you on drums and which sound better with you on bass. Do you already play bass?

ChrisNichols

Another good question, as it would be a bit unfair to ask you to learn a whole new instrument if your heart wasn't really in it.

Airborne Ranger

It sounds like you are putting image before substance here, which the radio is FULL of such personality-free bands. It also sounds like you really want to play drums but don't "want to" because of the size of this other musician. IMO, play what you love, the drums, if this bigger player can improve your band on bass, bring him onboard.