Premier XPKs

l_e_i_g_h

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing those facts about the evolution of the XPK. Do you still have a Premier Kit in your shed? (You know before the Cabria range started coming out?)

I visited your site and saw a couple of premier snares. How often do you use each of them?

I found with premier, their hardware is pretty much top notch, plus there is consistency (nothing drastic about clamps...and if you had an old clamp, and a new clamp...they would be pretty much interchangeable (aside from the advancements of the new clamp of course)

Hah...who am I kidding...Pearl sort of has the same thing going on! (and I bet other manufacturers as well.) I might juse be biased. 8)

Regards,
Leigh

mikeellis":3sas5b6b said:
Some info for you guys...

The APK range started life in 1985 as the Royale APK, the Royale range was introduced in 1983 to replace the Premier Club series, which itself had replaced the Olympic line that had been around since 1937. APK was the acronym for 'Advanced Power Kit', offering drummers on a budget the chance to own a kit in 'power' sizes.

By 1987 the Royale range had been reduced a single headed beginner kit and both APK and Royale were sporting the single tension 'speedboat hull' lugs. By 1989, the XPK range was introduced and the Royale disappeared and both A and XPK now having Premier's classic hi-ten single braced lugs.

The difference between A and X is A are wrapped and X are lacquered, otherwise they are the same. The wood used over the years has changed, originally made from luan then with a birch veneer over merranti and by 1997, they were a birch/eucalyptus/birch 'sandwich', they also were fitted with the small 'mini-mass' lugs at this time. The APK line was discontinued a few years later, replaced by the Cabria range and XPK followed shortly after.

Recently Premier has reintroduced the range with the Cabria XPK, Cabria APK and Cabria PK series.

slingerland66

thank you so much for posting this forum. i got a premier set when i was 12 years old... the owners manual said for APK and XPK... now knowing that the XPKs have the black interior shells, i now know what i have. I love my XPKs. they have such a deep boomy sound. another vintage set that i own... xpks are no longer in production. Premier drums are way too underated.

mikeellis

l_e_i_g_h":261fy6q5 said:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing those facts about the evolution of the XPK. Do you still have a Premier Kit in your shed? (You know before the Cabria range started coming out?)

I visited your site and saw a couple of premier snares. How often do you use each of them?

I found with premier, their hardware is pretty much top notch, plus there is consistency (nothing drastic about clamps...and if you had an old clamp, and a new clamp...they would be pretty much interchangeable (aside from the advancements of the new clamp of course)

Hah...who am I kidding...Pearl sort of has the same thing going on! (and I bet other manufacturers as well.) I might juse be biased. 8)

Regards,
Leigh
I don't actually own a Premier kit any more! I sold my white Resonator kit last year, but as you've seen, I do have quite a few Premier snares. I'm currently playing a 'marmalade' sparkle DM kit and also have an Eddie Ryan kit that was originally made for Paul McCartney and used on the 'Ebony and Ivory' video in the early 80's. I also have another Eddie Ryan kit which was made for Paul Cook when he was in the Sex Pistols, that one is undergoing a refurb, I'm taking the bass drum back to Eddie next week for some repair work.

Premier hadware was always good, from the flush based Lokfasts up to the Triloks, which are near indestructable - made from all steel. Real heavyweight stuff, and as you say - interchangeable.

Stratogizer

I also have a Premier XPK kit. Yours is an older model and style than the last XPK's. The biggest noticeable difference is the lugs. Premier has not made a lug like that in quite a while, but yours are nice. Premier has always made beautiful lugs. The lugs on mine are the mini style, the exact same as the new Artist Kits that have been out for a while. The second noticeable thing would be the black on the inside. Mine are the natural Birch on the inside. In fact I'm not so sure that your kit might be a Cabria, but it is not an APK. I have never seen an XPK drum that was painted black on the inside. The APK kits are painted black on the inside, with a couple of mahogany plies, and the outer shells are covered. NEVER buy an APK kit or drum. The APK is bottom line cheap junk, whereas the XPK is a fantastic drum.

The XPK drums are no longer made and has been replaced by the Artist kits. I bought a brand new Artist Birch kit for my son just a few months ago and the lugs and finish are identical to my XPK. Besides being all birch the Artist kit has some other upgrades above the XPK. 10 Lugs on the Bass drum instead of 8. The Artist bass drum claws are solid cast instead of the bent sheet metal of the XPK, and the tom mount that goes on the bass drum has been re-designed (a little smoother). The Artist Bass Drum Hoops are blonde on the inside which looks great, and all the toms have rim mounts. My XPK did not have rim mounts but they came out with them on the XPK a year or two later.

I bought my XPK's new in 1996 from Guitar Center and I believe that was the first year of the newer style with the mini lugs. The 5-piece shell pack was $900 with no hardware. Mine are Rosewood Lacquer (a beautiful dark red), Birch on the inner and outer plies and Mixed with Eucalyptus plies. I love the Sound and Looks of my XPK's.

mikeellis

Stratogizer":2buy9c4o said:
The APK is bottom line cheap junk, whereas the XPK is a fantastic drum.
The only difference between the APK and the XPK was the finish. How can that determine one being junk and the other not? :?:

Rem

Yeah, my new Cabria XPK (December 2006 Models and onwards) just came

I got it in "Heavy Rock 22"

basically, alot like yours

I love it

l_e_i_g_h

slingerland66,

Welcome to the thread! Any chance we could get a peek of your XPK kit? :)

- Leigh

slingerland66":1u5o2okf said:
thank you so much for posting this forum. i got a premier set when i was 12 years old... the owners manual said for APK and XPK... now knowing that the XPKs have the black interior shells, i now know what i have. I love my XPKs. they have such a deep boomy sound. another vintage set that i own... xpks are no longer in production. Premier drums are way too underated.

l_e_i_g_h

Anyone would like to comment on the Cabria XPKs and the old XPKs? someone mentioned that the Cabria XPK's have 100% maple shells.

so...as a rule of thumb...warmer and newer? :)

l_e_i_g_h

Heya Coatedskins!

Would you consider sharing pictures of your new Cabria kit?

* Details of Hardware, Skins, and Cymbals would be also appreciated!

Coatedskins":17teca2g said:
Yeah, my new Cabria XPK (December 2006 Models and onwards) just came

I got it in "Heavy Rock 22"

basically, alot like yours

I love it

Johnnyskins

Hello,
A dear friend named Bob bought the Topaz Lacquer finish APK fusion kit in 1993 from Guitar Center. The drums 20", 14" 12" & 10" were black inside with the long lugs.
Bob passed away in early 1994 and I bought the drums from his parents.
I loved the look and sound of these drums. However, I needed a beefier kit so in late 1994 I bought the 22" 16" 13" & 12" XPK kit with the smaller lugs.
The XPK was not black inside. I still have and LOVE both the XPK and an APK sets.
I use the XPK set that I bought for playing in most of the bands that I play with or, have played with and keep it at our rehearsal studio.
I keep Bob's APK set up in my living room. I love to just sit and look at them. They are beautiful!

Does anyone know the purpose for the black inside the APK kits and what is it?

Thanks.

John "Johnnyskins" Kinses

P.S. heres a picture of my XPK
http://www.myspace.com/theconniesrock/p ... 9964394%7D

crune

hi is this an apk or xpk kit ? i think its 1974 as they started putting the dass drum legs on the outside of the kit from 75- 76. correct me if im wrong pls, , it looks the same as a white premier royale kit i have apart from there are no royale badges on it. cheers in advance , crune

gear : 10 shell black 70,s royale
5 shell 70,s white royale
5 shell apk ? lol
natal bubinga kit
emi hamma kit 1970,s
1960,s premier olympic
tacton 70,s kit
roland td6 kit
premier olympic kit 1990,s
d drum police blue diablo kit
istanbul,paiste signatures, zildian custom a cymbals

Attachments