• pad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pillow

• both

• Total voters

Qbs

What's your view on practicing without your snare/drumset - do you like to practice on a pad (or something else that simulates the rebound of a drumhead) or a pillow (or something else that doesn't give you any rebound at all)?
I've heard many opinions about practicing on pillows being good or bad for you hand technique/speed/endurance and I'm curious about what you think.

Shalaq

I use different surfaces for different techniques. For example I'd use a pillow for moeller and classic doubles(two separate strokes) and a pad for the free stroke and push pull doubles/roll.

Qbs

pillow for moeller? correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the moeller technique rely on rebound :shock: ?

Shalaq

I would argue that the Moeller technique does not depend on the rebound, as I can do it on a pillow which has no rebound. But it is also probable that I do it wrong.

Jaki

... alot more betetr than a pillow or a pad.. but also its a abit pricey but it depends if u have that option

noeld

I was always using a practice pad until I saw Dennis Chambers
Video and he was expressing how he always used a pillow and
using a dead surface with no bounce built up more speed and endurance. So I went to using a pilliow, and saw the results for
single stroke speed, because my forearms would be burning
more and getting more of a workout than using a pad. Saw results in 32nd & 64th note single stroke rolls. And since I was living in a
apartment, the pillow was a lot quiter, lol.

I think both should be incorporated.

Shalaq

I think a pad should be used when you learn a technique which uses the bounce of the stick(free stroke, push pull etc).
Isn't it that when you practice on a pillow you use the wrong technique(not using the rebound etc)?