Practicing on my own

Drummerjew

I have been playing drums for almost 6 years and I just stopped going to a drum teacher. He was teaching me only the basics and beats. Plus all we did while I sat in the room with him is just talk about everything but drums. I don't know if I should go to another instructor or just to just teach myself the rest of the way. I am in a band and I write all my own beats and I think I'm doing pritty well but I know I should just keep practicing to get better. I just want to know if I should go to another instuctor or not.

drumsforlife

Leaving one instructor and going on to find another one is not the end of the world. Sometimes you progress to a point where your instructor and yourself reach a plateau of sorts. If your drum teacher is not recognizing that you've progressed, and the lessons are no longer beneficial to you, it's nothing against your teacher, you just need to move on and find somebody else. If you're still looking to learn some things, finding another instructor is THE BEST thing you can do. But if you're just plain tired of lessons and work, and you want to learn some things on your own, then that's cool too. I must stress, however, that learning things from a drum teacher is THE BEST method, and shouldn't be overlooked. If you have some mistakes in your technique/playing, and there's no instructor there to correct them, and you continue to practice and play that way, you'll end up practicing your mistakes. Trust me. It's always harder to undo a few years of practicing mistakes by trying to correct them and use proper technique after the fact. You shouldn't be pinned down to just one teacher. The more teachers you learn from, the better rounded musician you become. It's all up to you man. I've been playing for around 6 years, no formal training. And believe me, I regret not getting into lessons earlier. I want lessons now, I just don't have the money. Anyway, go find yourself another teacher. You won't regret it.

BillRayDrums

Drummerjew":xgojc50x said:
I have been playing drums for almost 6 years and I just stopped going to a drum teacher. He was teaching me only the basics and beats. Plus all we did while I sat in the room with him is just talk about everything but drums. I don't know if I should go to another instructor or just to just teach myself the rest of the way. I am in a band and I write all my own beats and I think I'm doing pritty well but I know I should just keep practicing to get better. I just want to know if I should go to another instuctor or not.
I would get another instructor. If for anything, just to see what they can offer you.

Jriddim

I would take what he tought you...and practice it yourself... If u already know the basics, it should be up to you to be creative. I have never had a teacher on the set, only on snare drum 15 years ago. So basically, I am a self taught drummer. Though I may be really creative, i can use a lesson on rudiments...

what i am saying is that you should balance what you have learned with your own creative style....

ask yourself... what sounds good to you?

Ps I tatally agree with the second post.... See For all I know i can be practicing mistakes!...but thats why if you are going to teach yourself you need to submerge yourself in great drum performances, and learn through performance. and once you feel you cannot reach another level, take a lesson and learn how to perfect your techniuqe

cooldevil28

well guyz the place i come from there arent too many good instructorz... there like 2 or 3 of them.. and they are really bz with their own lives and career to spend time preaching.. so guyz share your experiences about self learning if u can and tell me about them and all u know... that would be very helpful:D:D: