Practice schedules..

LeJayk

So I wrote this schedule out after realising my "practice" really does just consist of sitting at the kit, playing a few songs, a few feet/hands exercises at random. And occassionally playing with my practice pad.

I just wanna know what you guys think, and how it could be changed to be more productive.

30mins Endurance Exercise
Playing 8th notes.
4 notes per hand for two minutes.
8 notes per hand for two minutes.
12 notes per hand for two minutes.
16 notes per hand for two minutes.
Alternating single strokes for two minutes.
Same as above for feet.
Same again for feet AND hands together.

30 mins Balance Exercise
16th note single strokes.
Right hand / left foot for two minutes.
Left hand / right foot for two minutes.
Right hand / right foot for two minutes.
Left hand / left foot for two minutes.

Following rudiments:
RLRR LRLL - Paradiddle for 10 minutes.
RLRLRR LRLRLL - Double Paradiddle for 10 minutes.
RLRL RLRR LRLR LRLL - Triple Paradiddle for 10 minutes.
RLRRLL / LRLLRR - Paradiddle-diddle for 10 minutes.
RLRL RLRL - Single stroke for 10 minutes.
RRLL RRLL - Double stroke for 10 minutes.

Then learn whichever song I may be learning at that time, which is Priestess - Lay Down at the moment.

Thats 2 hours on the pads, and probably about an hour on the kit.

Opinions? :)

dwtoast72

bro, that's a very well laid out plan of action.
However..I have the feeling that you might wind becoming turned off by your own plan after a few weeks, maybe even days...because it's so lengthy... do you see what I mean...
So, just siting here and thinking about it....I would suggest breaking it up a bit...kind of a day on/day off schedule. Monday: endurance (rudiments, speed control, coordination ex, independence ex, etc).. Tues: Tune workage: take your iPod and establish 2 different playlists for practice. One to allow you to develope speed and agility around the kit (obviously some faster paced and more complicated stuff). And one to allow you to work on your complimentery side (some acoustic stuff, maybe...like ani difranco...or DMB). Do you see my point???
Bro, really hope this helps...
I like what you've got going on!
Play Hard

BillRayDrums

I would keep the overall "larger" groupings of concepts (like say, feet 15 min, hands 15 min, reading 15 min, etc...) and ditch the "2 minutes for this, that, the other".

Be careful with that regimented practice stuff...I once worked myself into practicing SOLID for 6 hrs/day doing that! You will find eventually that you'll want to up your weaker areas, and that adds time to the whole routine. :)

Good job breakin it down though. :)

Rob Crisp

I'm with DWToast and BR!

When I joined the gym my instructor said to keep my programme to an hour as that way I'm less likely to skip bits. Same with practice on your drums fella!

Why not break it up and do something daily for hand technique, something for feet, a bit of an exercise to apply that technique to the kit and then work on a tune or two? You could do one hand exercise Monday, something else Tuesday, so on and so forth and keep a chart of what you have done. You could work out maybe 5 different programmes and then keep a tab of how often you run them.

Plus that way when you have longer you get time to do EXTRA practice, and that feels good. Better than struggling to get in a full practice! ;-)

LeJayk

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I take your points, I'll break it down and spread it over a couple days instead. Thanks for your input =D

Sharp: I'm just starting out reading music at all. It'll be put into my schedule when I can read at all =P

dwtoast72

LeJayk":17kkt852 said:
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I take your points, I'll break it down and spread it over a couple days instead. Thanks for your input =D

Sharp: I'm just starting out reading music at all. It'll be put into my schedule when I can read at all =P
Bro, reading music is such an important part of your life as a musician!! Hit them books!!

LeJayk

dwtoast72":he6ocv0g said:
Bro, reading music is such an important part of your life as a musician!! Hit them books!!
I know! I've never needed to before. Never had lessons, never played in a big band. Had a very informal education. It wasn't until I found out it'll be expected of me if I do session work that I started to learn xD

Airborne Ranger

In addition to the things already said, another thing to think about incorporating into your playing is brushes. I work brushes into my practice routine twice a week. It gives you a totally different perspective to the drums and how they fit into the music. You can play rudiments with them as well. Being proficient with brushes will help your musicallity. I think brushes are a lost art because you don't often hear them in popular music, but they can add so much to your ability.

stu

You also could use a good double beat exercise, triple beat exercise, stick control exercise, and Flam exercise.

LeJayk

Airborne Ranger":3sev44j1 said:
In addition to the things already said, another thing to think about incorporating into your playing is brushes.
I was thinking about getting some brushes to be honest. I never play jazz or any style that uses them, but it'll be an education, and it'll make it easier when I get around to jazz.

stu":3sev44j1 said:
You also could use a good double beat exercise, triple beat exercise, stick control exercise, and Flam exercise.
Any examples of that sort of thing? I'm not exactly sure what you mean to be honest =
Rob Crisp":3sev44j1 said:
uot;]Reading! Ok, here's a good place to start, work this into that schedule somewhere!

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Read ... 0793573793
Thanks. Something I've been looking for in local music shops.

While we're on the topic of books, Stick Control For The Snare Drummer, or Advanced Techniques For The Modern Drummer?

stu

Yea I found It A while ago. I got all the ones I needed and forgot to bookmark it. So when he asked me to explain I had to go find it again. That was a pain in the ass but I think it was worth it. Share the wealth right?

LeJayk

stu":c5s12k7f said:
Yea I found It A while ago. I got all the ones I needed and forgot to bookmark it. So when he asked me to explain I had to go find it again. That was a pain in the ass but I think it was worth it. Share the wealth right?
Haha wow, thanks for going through that trouble. And people say theres no kindness in the world anymore =]

stu

Yea some of those might ad some spice to that boring Derek Roddy endurance routine.