port holes

pearldrummer_05

im wanting to cut a port hole in my bass drum, and was wondering just what i gotta do to do that to where it sounds good and doenst ruin my head

Rockula!

There have been several threads on this one but I couldn't find it
Since a lot of people will suggest kits, I will tell you what I do
And it don't cost nuthin'

If the hole is going to be just enough for a mic, make sure you look at the size of a bass drum mic and not something like a 57 or 58
Obviously drum mics are bigger

Find a metal can (soup can etc...)the relative size of the hole
I like to put the hole where the logo of the drumhead appears
BUT
You generally want to get an inch or 2 away from the rim
Heat the metal can up on the stove
Sit the drumhead on a surface that you don't mind matking up (a pirece of woo, the back porch etc...
PUT ON OVEN MITTS!!!!!!
Apply the can to the area you have chosen

The can will melt a perfect circle in your head
Not only that, but the melted edge will have a bit of a bead because it shrinks up a bit when melted
Re-enforce the back of the hole with electrical tape

I have found that using blades to cut the hole are unreliable because you can never cut a perfect hole
The part where you messed up is going to be the part that tears

FREE!!!!!!!

screamkevin

There are many ways to do it, ranging from an exacto-knife to a super-hot can. You just have to be very careful and take it SLOW so you don't rip the head or screw up.

My advice would be to get ahold of a can thats 4 inches in diameter, a razor blade knife/exacto knife, electrical tape, and a bright pen of some type. Place the can where you want the port hole to be (with the head facing front-side DOWN), and trace the circle with the pen. Then, slowly cut the tracing using the exacto knife. Reinforce the cutout with electrical tape or a HOLZ or something like that, and you're all set.

apollow14

ive been thinking of cutting a mic hole in my bass. how much does it change the sound of the bass drum? im guessing it makes it a whole lot boomier??? (if thats even a word lol)

FelterSkelter

I'm told not to put the port in the center of the head but rather offset it. This makes sure the mic is able to pick up more of the beater and less of the "exhale" of the air, producing a more desirable input.

mute

how big of a porthole is too big?

when i was recording a while ago, the engineer cut a porthole for the mic, but just used scissors. now, the whole has just torn into a big ragged mess. i'd kind of like to make a clean hole, but it would be pretty big. probably 6 inches in diameter. is it even worth it to keep the head?

earldrum

I had a vintage Fibes kit at a studio once and the engineers decided that he wanted to cut a bigger hole in the kick head and totally trashed the vintage drum head. Never let a non-drummer cut a hole in your bass drum head. I made him pay for it, but the head was not a vintage head anymore.

I like the "hot can" idea because knifes do go off the mark occassionally. I like using the Aquarian "Hole" template/stick-on to the head thingy (I know that does not sound really technical). But this "hole template" would be great to use even if you used the "hot can" idea. It look good on bass drum head.

FelterSkelter

mute":386co6os said:
how big of a porthole is too big?

when i was recording a while ago, the engineer cut a porthole for the mic, but just used scissors. now, the whole has just torn into a big ragged mess. i'd kind of like to make a clean hole, but it would be pretty big. probably 6 inches in diameter. is it even worth it to keep the head?
There is a point where the hole is so big that it won't even matter. There was a site where they talked about this and other drum information. I found it very helpful.
Go to google and search "Professor Sound's Drum Tuning Bible". You should find some good info there.

I cut a port hole in my drum. I went to the Guitar Center and purchased a 3" port hole ring. I went into my kitchen and search for anything that was 3" in diameter. I found a cereal bowl. I traced it with a pen where i wanted the hole and cut it out VERY SLOWLY with a razor. (I should have just used the damn port hole ring) LOL

drummert2k

the bst way to cut the hole is to buy the special made cuuter for this. they're like 8 bucks and you can get them at a music store. then i highly recommend some kind of protection for it so it wont rip. im assuming the holes purpose for you is to get the kick mic up to the batter to get a punchy sound. a 4 or 6 inch hole will be plenty to get a mic in and fine the sweet spot. the without something around it to proctect it you might have a concern with the mic cable laying against it and eventually having your head rip.