Pork Pie Drums

Limited Access

I was wouldering if any has played on or has a set by Pork Pie? I played on one and I like it, it was a acrylic set. What do you think about acrylic sets. I curently have a Pearl Export ELX 7 piece and I love it but I was thinking of adding another set to my samll colection. Heres a link to there site. http://www.porkpiedrums.com/index.html
Check them out I realy like there finnishes, check out the clownpuke realy cool....lol

anavrinIV

i used to play them during my lessons...even with single ply heads they have pretty deep sound. they sound pretty good but im not a fan of maple....but since youre talking about acrylic i dont know. most likely they get their acrylic shells from rci, a reputable dealer, so i wouldnt be too worried about construction. bill detamore is supposed to be a great guy and his craftsmanship is top quality, and pork pies hourglass lugs are my favorite design out there. if you like the sound of the drums then get them...if quality is what youre after then ive never heard a complaint about pork pie.

Sway

actually they use keller shells it they were on a list of companies on that website. I think there good but the only reason i would NEVER buy one is cuase of keller. It costs like 40 bucks for a snare shell and all together that kit is worth like 3 or 400 dollars so unless its that cheap i personally wouldnt buy.

anavrinIV

Sway":3le9lwj0 said:
actually they use keller shells it they were on a list of companies on that website. I think there good but the only reason i would NEVER buy one is cuase of keller. It costs like 40 bucks for a snare shell and all together that kit is worth like 3 or 400 dollars so unless its that cheap i personally wouldnt buy.
the shells may be cheap but pork pie uses custom brass lugs (expensive) and once you figure in hoops, rods, heads, labor (especially the finish), and the perfect edges (and pork pie is very close to perfect) youre figuring at least a couple thosand dollars worth. are they worth the 4000 they may sell for? probably not. but, they are very nice drums. if you can cut your own edges, drill perfectly the first time, create your own signature lug, and do an amazing finish for $400, youll clean house in the custom drum market.

Sway

Oh yeah totally true man. I think maybe you might wanna check out dw thouguh if your willing to spend that much. They figured a way to get ther Bearing Edge to 15 degrees! Thats like almost maximum resonation! I think they have a good look to em to. But if you relaly dig that kit you played nothing can replace it. Try out alot of different ones though.

Timekeep69

The shells aren't what makes drum expensive. It's the workmanship and the hardware. While a snare shell only costs $30, the lugs can range from $3 each to $10 each. Keller makes good shells or else no one would use them.

drummernick

i played a wooden one red sparkle it was nice. the toms had that nice deep sound without muffling they sounded perfect but yea def a good choice pork pie is a grade a company.

Nhara

i'm not into the porkpie sensation as a lot of drummers are; however, i do enjoy the little sqeeler snare and they have some comfy ass throne. after all... they are naming themselves after a large animal, it better be comfy

Scogar

I'd like to play one and see what it sounds like. I've only heard good things, especially about their snares.

andybfrank

Sway":2m7dwkph said:
If we're talking about acrylic shells, Keller doesn't make them. They do make Pork Pie's wood shells however, and they're great. Having used a Keller shell to make my own snare, I highly recommend it. You'll discover that when you add up the cost of the shell, hardware, finish, and labor, the price is comparable to buying a mass produced product. The fact that it costs 40 bucks for a Keller snare shell is not an issue. That's probably about what you are paying for just the shell when you buy any mass produced product. Keller doesn't make low quality shells and sell them for cheap; 40 bucks is just what it costs for a 10-ply snare shell, and it's going to be about that much no matter who makes it. The difference is, Keller will sell you just the shell, and DW won't. The hardware, finish, heads, labor, shipping, brand name, and marketing all make up the high prices of DW's and the like.

And for the record, Pork Pie drums are great.

Gaddabout

The great thing about Pork Pie is Bill doesn't let anything out the door without personally inspecting the important stuff: bearing edges, snare beds, laminate, etc. I would be willing to bet Bill is the personal bearing edges guy for 30 percent of the LA session crowd. Maybe more. PP does excellent work.

Rob the Drummer

Gaddabout":1q8beib4 said:
The great thing about Pork Pie is Bill doesn't let anything out the door without personally inspecting the important stuff: bearing edges, snare beds, laminate, etc. I would be willing to bet Bill is the personal bearing edges guy for 30 percent of the LA session crowd. Maybe more. PP does excellent work.
Yea, Bill is the man. I have a friend who had all of his bearing edged re-done on an old Ludwig by Bill. He said it was the best thing he's done for his kit!