as far as polyrythms go I've only practiced the basic 4 over 5 routine:
legs play in five
R L R R L
hands play a typical pattern with the snare on TWO & FOUR

also you can change the feet pattern to 7:
R L R L R R L

and so on... :)

davidpetry

I believe polyrhythms should be approached in an organic style. What I mean by this is it should feel comfortable to a listener who is not a drummer. It has to groove.

Some of my favorite jazz drummers do this naturally: Tony Williams, Brian Blade, Art Blakey, ect. 4:3

I think the band Tool has really done a great job with polyrhythms. It doesn't sound too mathy. The song "Jambi" off of the 10,000 days record is a great example. It's in 9/8 but divided up into different feels like in "3", assemetric feels 2-2-3, etc.

The great thing is that you don't have to play the polyrhythm you can feel the beats against each other without playing it. This helps me make transitions into other sections so I sound like I flow rather than jumping off a cliff.

Instead of playing the polyrhythms try feeling them while you are playing and then accent those beats instead of playing all of them at once.

ganeshgiri

One of my teachers in college demonstrated that using a little math, you can break down even the most complicated polyrythms into their component parts and make them much easier to practice. Like how do you learn to count 5 over 2? Well, if you can play 5 over 1, then play it twice. (10:2) For instance: tap your foot on each downbeat, and say "min-ne-ap-o-lis" starting each time on the 1. ("min"=1) That's 5:1. Play and say this in two-measure phrases. Then start accenting every other note starting with the first, carrying it throughout the two bar phrase. You should land back on one after every two bars. Get used to that and gradually drop out the non-accented notes... viola! 5:2. I hope that helps...

FunkandJive

My favorite polyrhythm is playing doubles with my left while keeping the jazz ride pattern going with my right. 4 on the floor "feathered" and 2 and 4 on the high hat. quarter note triplets are also cool. A cool excercise in 7/8 is RLRRLRLLRLRRLLRLRRLRLLRLRRLLRLRRLLRLRRLRLLRLRRLL REPEAT

Dale

There are loads of books on this subject. I advise going to a store and checking out what they have. Plus get a teacher.

An easy way to begin is to simply play ostinatos with your feet and practice different hand combinations with your hands at the same time.

I am working from El Negro's book and am loving it, trying to get the whole left foot clave thing happening. He takes you through the process in a very step by step manner that is very easy to follow. Aside from that any decent jazz book will help you. There are the old classics by Ted Reed, Jim Chapin and so on. Also John Riley has some nice work out there.

Lepricoin

FunkandJive":2gf96xlb said:
My favorite polyrhythm is playing doubles with my left while keeping the jazz ride pattern going with my right. 4 on the floor "feathered" and 2 and 4 on the high hat. quarter note triplets are also cool. A cool excercise in 7/8 is RLRRLRLLRLRRLLRLRRLRLLRLRRLLRLRRLLRLRRLRLLRLRRLL REPEAT
Everything seems to come back to the paradiddle.....love it

Homki890

I say, play in 13/8, and have fun. Try this.

6/8 now. You are playing dotted quarter notes on the Left Foot. Two per measure then.

Ok, you are going to play a 6 pattern on the RH. Counting in 16th trips, it will be 1+2+3+ | 4+5+6+ | etc. ( the | is a measure break).

Now, play this: 1 2 3 | 4+ + + | 1 2 3 | 4+ + + | etc. in the RH. Keeping the LF on the 4 pattern.

This is 6 over 4 in 6/8, and is very tricky. Those of you who own Tommy Igoe's book, Groove Essentials, look up Groove 43. That's the pattern.

Homki890

devilspain

hey hey we've missed out the most simple poly!!

2 and 3.

start off with hands on knees and go

B rlr B rlr.

(b = both hands slap on 1st beat) then a quick right left right. keep repeating and you've got one hand playing in 2 the other in 3.

have fun ^^.

A

Anonymous

Peter Magadini's book polyrythms for drumset is a pretty good book if you want to get into developing a musical approach to plyrhythms.

top drummer

I've got a polyrhytmic (I think) question.
For some time now I've been trying to play a 3 over 4 pattern in which the right hand plays 16th notes with every third being accented (something like XxxXxxXxxXxx) and the left hand and the right foot play a straight 8th note beat
The problem is that I can't get my hands to work separately - whenever I'm accenting my right hand I automaticaly hit the snare.
The funny thing is that if I'll play my right hand pattern leaving out the unaccented notes I can play it non-stop without any mistakes...
ANy ideas on how to develop that (I've been working on that for about 3 months in tempos ranging from 40 to 70 bpm and no progress...)
Thanks,

Debason

top drummer":3lcwyoaz said:
I've got a polyrhytmic (I think) question.
For some time now I've been trying to play a 3 over 4 pattern in which the right hand plays 16th notes with every third being accented (something like XxxXxxXxxXxx) and the left hand and the right foot play a straight 8th note beat
The problem is that I can't get my hands to work separately - whenever I'm accenting my right hand I automaticaly hit the snare.
The funny thing is that if I'll play my right hand pattern leaving out the unaccented notes I can play it non-stop without any mistakes...
ANy ideas on how to develop that (I've been working on that for about 3 months in tempos ranging from 40 to 70 bpm and no progress...)
Thanks,
Practice more:)Try to simplfy things, trying to break that baricade in your head...Be persistant. Don't know acually how to put it to you..:(

When I get down comlpletly 2/3/5/7 polyrihtm I'll make sure to tape it and upload for you guys as a real polyrithm example. Not keeping just 2 measures... that's birithm:)
I still having trouble to get the 7 with 2/3/5.
I play it like this: 3 is right foot(bas), 2 is left feet -hihat, 5 is left hand snare(create ostinato or play just the first beat) and with my left hand i play 16th notes(2/3/5/7 are 8th notes) to keep all the limbs in time and accent the 7 on china. I will get 'em liquid soon and then I'll record and upload:)

top drummer

Debason":1sngm3v6 said:
Practice more:)Try to simplfy things, trying to break that baricade in your head...Be persistant. Don't know acually how to put it to you..:(
Any idea on how to actually break that baricade? :)

Debason

top drummer":r3hjynyp said:
Debason":r3hjynyp said:
Any idea on how to actually break that baricade? :)
Maybe trying simple polyrithms with your hands, 2/3, 3/5, 5/7.....
maybe than willl get you closer. Practice than until you get it. It was only hard work for me.Slow it down, bulid it up......

Everything takes time, some things work faster for others....
Be pacient:)
Wish you all the best!

Flatliner

can someone show me three half note triplets over four quarter notes. But break the triplets into three groups of eigth note triplets, can't get the notes just perfectly lined up in my mind.