Please Help Me Out Here!!!

bigkahuna24_7

So I have this huge festival coming locally in my town of Patterson called the Apricot Fiesta. And i have always miked my kit so it would sound good/decent enough for my liking. Now i have this rather large venue upcoming in like 2 or 3 weeks and i'm really nervous about my sound. Anything i can do to reassure my self? Ha ha Also my toms resonate when i hit the kick and its noticable in my recordings will it be that noticable live ya think? Even though it will be filled in guitars vocals and bass? Anyone could possibly help me it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thanks

demonicAngel

the sound you will hear as on the drummer's throne isn't the same as the sound the odience will hear, so what i do il ask my guitarist to hit each drum once individually, so i can hear it and evaluate that way as if i where in the crowd.

mental note, tune them, try again, the perfect, ok ready to play! "Make sure you practiced before you fine tune your drumset before your show!!!!"

No one else i know does it like this ... it's my copyright idea!! :p hahah

j/k use it all you want. but i really dont know anyone else who does it like this...

Hope it helps

stump

Make sure that your kit is in tune, use good mics and let the sound guy do the rest. That's why he is there. Good luck.

BillRayDrums

Play for the song and not for yourself. If you are concerned about every small detail then you can't honor the music and ultimately that fact will make you sound amateurish. Just play the song as you hear it and you'll be fine. Don't forget to smile. :)

PatternsInTheIvy

BillRayDrums":hunhiw61 said:
Play for the song and not for yourself. If you are concerned about every small detail then you can't honor the music and ultimately that fact will make you sound amateurish. Just play the song as you hear it and you'll be fine. Don't forget to smile. :)

Whoa man! I wouldn't tell him to smile just yet, he might be in a metal band. You know how disastrous a smile could be in one of those. :wink:

BillRayDrums

PatternsInTheIvy":1pd8l2s0 said:
BillRayDrums":1pd8l2s0 said:

Whoa man! I wouldn't tell him to smile just yet, he might be in a metal band. You know how disastrous a smile could be in one of those. :wink:
Yeah you got a point there. So....don't forget the chicken leg (w/feathers) to gnaw on between songs!! ;)

m

demonicAngel":2wp899ak said:
il ask my guitarist to hit each drum once individually, so i can hear it and evaluate that way as if i where in the crowd.
No one else i know does it like this ... it's my copyright idea!! :p hahah
you mean having the guitarist play them while you listen?
I usually do that everytime we play a new room. He's a drummer too;

only problem is no 2 players hit quite the same, so I know it's only accurate to a point, plus if you don't hear it with the whole band mix going there's no way to really tell what the kit's going to sound like when you're playing it. But it can definitely help with some details. At least you get to hear your kit from the listeners perspective too.

bigkahuna24_7

its ok i can smile its a worship were playing... but i normally dont cause i wear my hat low like lester estelle jr... never heard of him you say> check him out lesterdrums.com

Reaper33X

what are the chances of you having an early sound-check? like earlier in the day before the performances start?

That would give you time to correct any problems before show-time.

I'd second the idea to get someone else just to go around your kit quickly while you stand back and listen.

Marki777

The first thing I would do is get a set of fresh batter heads, break them in and retune. if you have bottom heads tune them as well. To stop the ringing, us a muffl ring or a small piece of felt secured with a small piece of cloth tape. I use medical bandage tape; it's a nice cloth tape and dosent leave any sticky residue. But good ole duct tape will work, just use a lil piece. After that, focus on your playing. Worship from your heart and youll do just fine. PTL

PatternsInTheIvy

BillRayDrums":1hgh97j1 said:
PatternsInTheIvy":1hgh97j1 said:
BillRayDrums":1hgh97j1 said:

Yeah you got a point there. So....don't forget the chicken leg (w/feathers) to gnaw on between songs!! ;)

Maybe he should just play it safe and wear a mask! :shock:

Scott_Hurford

What your hearing as a drummer wont be the same as what goes into the audiences ears.
If your toms sound out of tune, chances are your audience wont even notice a thing, expecially not thru the vocals, guitar, bass etc...
Dont worry so much about the sound of your drums, get them sounding as good as u think they can be, then just play as normal when u get on stage, DONT FRET ABOUT THE SOUND OF THE DRUMS, SERIOUSLY! The audience never seems to even notice if beats are missed if they are so focued on the band as a whole. Everything will be fine 8)

BillRayDrums

bigkahuna24_7":1zt1xux0 said:
its ok i can smile its a worship were playing... but i normally dont cause i wear my hat low like lester estelle jr... never heard of him you say> check him out lesterdrums.com
Yeah, Chickenbone....feathers....AND a mask!! Go for "shock value".

Give ol' Lester something to aspire to. ;)