Playing other sets

Jamell

Well the past few weeks I've seen drummers on their sets and I seem hesitant to ask them to play their kit. I mean, I've been playing for 6 years, I get lessons from yellowcard's drummer and I'm experience in playing infront of people but asking other drummers if I can play their kit just seems weird to me, does anyone else feel this way or have any advice for me?
Thanks
-Tommy

gadrmrboy

i feel weird about it, so unless the invitation is extended to me i dont ever ask..however i usually let anyone that asks to take a spin on my kit. (provided i feel they know something about drumming.

RobDrmz

Something I've figured out on my own thru countless SIT-IN'S at gigs is...

Whenever you siti-in on someone's kit, it WILL be differnt than yours.

So, take a second to play a simple-simple beat REALLY soft. I mean inaudiably for as long as you can.

This gives your muscles some memory & your Slayer fills might actually work! ;-)

Dale

These days it doesn't worry me. I think as long as your hands are in working order and you can reach the pedals it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

animalien

If I see a set that I like it's config, I will ask to play it. I find it very educating when I sit down behind someone elses kit.

I have been told my kit setup is "Very Comfortable". I couldn't have said that better myself. I like the feel, and the position of each item. The more comfortable behind the set you are, the better you play, right?

NEWay, I learned how to position my set by working on others' sets. Where they mount the toms, the cymbal position - tilted or flat. Cowbells and other "Accouterment".

Best part about playing so many different sets is that you are never thrown off if you have to play a strange kit.

Just as long as you are playing, right?

wak

im also not a fan of using other people equipment

not for the setup, but i am slightly heavy handed, and have broken a few things, if its a friends kit, im ok

but what pisses me off (sry for the language)
is when little fags decide that your kit is not set up how they want it, and proceed to move everything to how they like it

now im fine with them moving cymbal stands, they dont take long to set up

but, they have the profound habbit of removing all but 1 rack tom, meaning i have to put my other 2 back on when its my time to play, not only that, they move other things also, making it difficult for me to get my setup in the 15 minutes allowed

it really does annoy me because, i have to turn up and hour or more before they do, i setup the kit, do the sound check and everything is perfect

then when it comes time to play, its all gone tits up, and i have to make do

am i the only person who thinks it is a little rude to edit the headlining acts setup ?
i would never dream of moving things if i hadnt setup the kit

(also to be honest i dont thin those drummers have the right to play, if they are restricting themselves to such a small kit, and usually followed by a general lack of skill anyway)

well rant over, i dont mind others using my kit at all, even if they are the headliners, and im not a fan of using other people equipment, but i do if required

i do not however let people use cymbals anymore, the last time i remember doin that, the flid set it up so after a hard hit, the cymbal hit the rim of a drum, and, to me, that is like somebody fondling your g/f right in your face

Cameraman

as long as they dont screw the positioning up, it's all good.

me and my neighbor play on eachothers set all the time. And my guitarists brother plays drums and I walk in and play all the time and he doesnt seem to mind.

Calbanese

I personally have no problem with anyone wanting to play my kit, but as logn as they don't smash smash smash away as hard as they can I'm all good.

The 307th National Guard band or something just recently played at my high school. After the show, a bunch of friends and I went upstage and they guys asked if we all played and if we did we could use their stuff to jam. Make a long story short, we busted one of their guitars and the drummer who got up on the set before me played so loud that the drummer from the N.G was afraid to let me on for fear of his skins breaking LOL!

Ahh it was such a nice set too..

drummerboi

I used to hate it but after working a guitar center i got used to playing behind different kits and experimenting..... that was a lot of fun.

Stimpy

I dont mind playing other peoples kit. I never normally ask, i only play them if someone offeres me a jam. Im playing my mates kit at out next gig because it is easier than changing kit half way. I am taking my own cymbals and my own snare just incase though.

Also i dont mind people playing my kit as long as they dont thrash around. The only thing that makes me cringe is when someone uses my sticks and chips and dents the shit out of them by not hitting the cymbals with the tip :evil:

Anarchytama

Its just not like mine... that suks... its true I feel weird on other kits but after a few minutes i get used to playing there... the bad thing i have experienced is that the kits i have played always have something that doesnt work or things are placed in very awkward positions thats the only thing i dont like about it.

stidger

when my band play gigs, especially in smaller venues, we tend to share kits but usually supply our own snare, cymbals and pedals

that way it saves on space / set up times between bands but minimises someone smashing the daylight out of your gear !

:evil: :evil: :evil:

TinChimp

Yeah, thats what we normally do when we do these multi band line ups, how ever if I do end up using someone elses kit, I try not to move anything unless I really, REALLY need to, in the hope that when its my turn to provide the kit for the night, the drummers will do the same for me. I tend to work with two simple rules for using my kit; I don't mind you using it, but if you break it you buy it. And, Move my rack tom holder and I'll be using your thigh bones for drumsticks!! (mega pet peeve, if you're not the one lugging the gear around then make do, its only a half hour set for crying out loud!!!) ooh I'm venomous this moring.
Peace out
TinChimp

SmellsLikeIan

wak said:
am i the only person who thinks it is a little rude to edit the headlining acts setup ?

Well I use only 2 toms, but I have them where I like them. My band has been doing more headliners recently, and I don't mind the openers using my kit, as long as they use ther own cymbals, snare, and of course sticks. But I have memory locks on my stands for a reason, and I don't like those or the angle of my tom L-arms adjusted (except when a lefty had to use my kit a month or so ago cuz the lazy ass sound guys didn't want to mic up two kits). Aside from that, it's always "you break it you bought it".

Anarchytama

It suks so much when someone trashes your cymbals... i learned it the hard way.. dont lend em to no one... a friend of mine broke a hand hammered crash... that suked big time

screamkevin

If it's a gigging situation, the general rule of thumb is that unless you are specifically invited to, you don't touch another drummer's kit. If your band is opening and you are to use the headliner's kit, always arrrive early. Seek out the headlining drummer and talk to him/her. Find out if it's okay to tweak a couple things if need be. Find out what's okay and what's not. Then, ask for permission to sit down and get familiar with the kit. HAVE A NOTEPAD WITH YOU. Take notes on whatever it is that you move, so you can move it back to where it was when you are done.

Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

JAdrums2k

wak":38j312gu said:
im also not a fan of using other people equipment

not for the setup, but i am slightly heavy handed, and have broken a few things, if its a friends kit, im ok

but what pisses me off (sry for the language)
is when little fags decide that your kit is not set up how they want it, and proceed to move everything to how they like it

now im fine with them moving cymbal stands, they dont take long to set up

but, they have the profound habbit of removing all but 1 rack tom, meaning i have to put my other 2 back on when its my time to play, not only that, they move other things also, making it difficult for me to get my setup in the 15 minutes allowed

it really does annoy me because, i have to turn up and hour or more before they do, i setup the kit, do the sound check and everything is perfect

then when it comes time to play, its all gone tits up, and i have to make do

(also to be honest i dont thin those drummers have the right to play, if they are restricting themselves to such a small kit, and usually followed by a general lack of skill anyway)

well rant over, i dont mind others using my kit at all, even if they are the headliners, and im not a fan of using other people equipment, but i do if required

i do not however let people use cymbals anymore, the last time i remember doin that, the flid set it up so after a hard hit, the cymbal hit the rim of a drum, and, to me, that is like somebody fondling your g/f right in your face
Anytime I have to move or remove anything from someone elses kit, I ALWAYS put it back where it was. Just out of respect for their gear.

If it's my gear they're using for a set. I'll just setup the bare bones of the kit... then bring out everything else when our set comes up. They're a lot less likely to change things when there's less stuff set up.