Playing on cymbals or hi-hats

nitro_drummer

I just want to know what other drummers are doing. During a chorus do you play on an open hi-hat or rock out on a cymbal? and if its on a cymbal what size? like 14, 16, 18inch ect. or on high hats how far open and what kind?

drumjo7182

all depends on the type of music your playing. but in response to the other questions when crashing on the cymbal in the chours i use a 19" medium crash. I wouldn't use any smaller than an 18" crash for that because i have in the past and i broke all my smaller crashes. When i use the open hi-hat i keep the cymbals just barely touching to get a smooth sizzling sound.

Ricussion

It depends on the other instruments and what you were playing on the sections around it. Sometimes using the China can be effective. I strongly suggest getting a recording of rehearsals and jams to instantly hear what you've just done, even if it's just a two mic four track job.

m

Rockula!":30wr4a08 said:
Aint nothing better than washing a 20' crash ride!
mmm, that do taste good!

I find a ribbon crasher also gives a bit of unique coloration, somewhere between crash/wash/trash-

zerodogma

Depends on the song/style... I have a pair of 18" Saluda's for my main crashes (one tuned high, one tuned a bit lower) and usually wail on one of those when needed.

And like drumjo7182 said, I keep my open hats just touching for that mean slosh.

***mental note -- get 20" china and 20" crash-ride***

zerodogma

m":17l9h0p1 said:
be warned;
20" crash/rides tend to be 'head-ripper-offers!'
:twisted: Hell Yea! We try to plaster peoples shadows to the wall anyways... could only help our cause LOL!

m

zerodogma":5dgqx04u said:
re:20" crash/ride

:twisted: Hell Yea! We try to plaster peoples shadows to the wall anyways... could only help our cause LOL!
8)

I picked out a new one at NAMM, it just came in last night-
I still can't believe how LOUD this thing is! Our singer's going to HATE it. Its wash is like the sonic equivalent of a solar flare. I'm going to have to push my IEMs in even further now!

CASCINAIDRUMS

It could be a high-hat , a crash or a ride, even a cow bell
Depends on your taste and style. you play for the song so if it calls for a floor tom then you play a floor tom ETC.
You don't have to do what other people are doing just go for what you know and play your heart out.

anavrinIV

18" aaxplosion if i ride a crash...sometimes ill go between all my crashes, chinas, and hats to get a different combination of sounds. i dont generally like the sound of riding a crash but sometimes it just works. i never crash my ride though.

stidger

i try to use a combination of both hats and crashes / ride

the more colours you can introduce can turn a track from just a sraight forward rhythm, to something that can keep the listener sonically interested in more than just the lead guitar / singer !

be creative and mix things up.
i also use a cowbell from time to time and have a set of roto-toms
to again expand the sounds available.

as for cymbals i use 14" K/Z hats, 10" sabian bright splash, 16" A custom crash, 18" K dry crash, 22" K heavy ride and an old, cheap 16" pearl crash (this sounds very trashy and allows a massive wash when i need it)

have fun

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Rufio

I vary between them. My hi-hat seems to be more suited to noise whilst my 18" crash just sounds nice without cutting through, nor fading out into the background.

drummerfreek55

i tend not to stay on one cymbal. my range is from a pair of 14" crashes to a 16" crash, 18" crash or china or my 20" ride. believe it or not all that is mounted on a 5 piece!

joshdrums37

CASCINAIDRUMS":2tgz8ial said:
It could be a high-hat , a crash or a ride, even a cow bell
Depends on your taste and style. you play for the song so if it calls for a floor tom then you play a floor tom ETC.
You don't have to do what other people are doing just go for what you know and play your heart out.

100% agree. Whatever you play, play it like you mean it.

and yeah, for a real big sound, getting that real washy spread from crashing the ride cymbal is awesome. (watch vinnie videos , you'll see what i mean)

but be warned, not all ride cymbals are crashable.. I use a 20" Zildjian K custom Dark ride and that thing is a beast when i want it to be....besides being a great ride it's the biggest crash on my kit.

XIxPxGX

yea for a crash to ride on id say no smaller then 18 inches and it all depends on the song some songs work good on the hats open or on a crash or ride sometimes even on toms or snare it all depends but yea for my hats i have em like an inch apart