pissed off!

Drumosaurus

My band just played at a church fun day.( I Know it sounds a little fruity). so the other drummer does his 5 songs and then its my turn. I go up there and do 2 songs and then they decide they're going to pull me so our other drummer can do stepping stone and when I come around, then I do welcome to paradise. And then our singer decides " his voice hurts" so I end up only doing 3 songs and the other does 7. I'm PISSED. I'm the one that brought the drumset and I barely got to play it. i was thinking about quiting after our gig tomorrow but then I would practicing by myself again until I found someone else to play with.
I was thinking about grabbing the guitarist and bassist and forming a jam or metal band. suggestions...advice?

zen_drummer

Drumosaurus":2ru6bn62 said:
My band just played at a church fun day.( I Know it sounds a little fruity). so the other drummer does his 5 songs and then its my turn. I go up there and do 2 songs and then they decide they're going to pull me so our other drummer can do stepping stone and when I come around, then I do welcome to paradise. And then our singer decides " his voice hurts" so I end up only doing 3 songs and the other does 7. I'm PISSED. I'm the one that brought the drumset and I barely got to play it. i was thinking about quiting after our gig tomorrow but then I would practicing by myself again until I found someone else to play with.
I was thinking about grabbing the guitarist and bassist and forming a jam or metal band. suggestions...advice?

I spent today reading a congressional report on military spending and didn't play a single song...

You had a MUCH better day than I did....

Don't be pissed that you didn't get to play 7 of the songs... be HAPPY that you got to play 3.

screamkevin

Focus on the positives, don't dwell on the negatives. Negativity attracts negative people. Surround yourself with positives, and good things will happen.

rufus4dagruv

Sounds like a very frustrating situation. Your proposed solution, however, will cause you more harm than good in the long run. "Stealing" musicians from your current band to start a new one is just going to upset someone else. Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right. Try keeping lines of communication open and let the other guys know how bummed out you are and see if you can work out a solution as a band.

Remember, when a problem arises, there are 2 ways you can handle it. You can let the negativity control your decisions on how to deal with it or you can look at it as an opportunity to make a positive change. If you are able to do the later, like screamkevin said, you will start to see yourself surrounded by other positive people. Combine this with solid drumming, and I guarantee that you will start to see a lot more stage time. Good luck.

SmellsLikeIan

Why do you need 2 drummers? And if there's no other way around things, make a commitment with each other that you will both get equal time.

SGarrett

Sounds like you're the "under study" and/or the other guy has a better groove. Those are the two biggest reason for the situation you described. I've been on both sides of that coin.

FelterSkelter

Play a keyboard or a shaker or something of the like. If you are one of two drummers in a band and you guys switch off, EXPECT gigs to be like that. And I agree with the above advice of brushing it off and pretending it doesn't bother you. There is always at least one thing to be pissed about per show, the challenge is not letting it get on your tits.

dave lynch

Funny cuz I always have dreams about me gettin ready to play and my hi hat or sumtin is missin so Tell folks I need to find it and when I get back there'll be a hole in a drum head and the I go to fix it and come back and my drums are missing cuz someone stole them..Wieird dreams like that drive me crazy..Don't get to uptight..maybe your the one all the chicks like and there all jelous..haha...it's unfair but we all don't know both sides of the story..never the less use it for positive energy and not negative..Believe me I know..I've wasted so much time on negative enenrgy..It's extremely unhealthy..screamkevin is sooooo right on the money..listen to him...!!

SGarrett

Drumosaurus":2vbspgy6 said:
What? the other drummer fucks up all time. I played all my songs perfectly
I've never heard either of you play, but obviously they asked him to sit in for a reason. I've seen Dennis Chambers mess up more than a few times and he's still very highly in demand. Feel/groove is far more important to praise music than technicality are. Maybe your feel is too stiff?

Drumosaurus

AND our guitarist is getting an ego, so he thinks he knows best about everything. He even pulled everyone off the stage so he could do 2 boring-ass acoustic songs.

zen_drummer

Drumosaurus":1qicelty said:
AND our guitarist is getting an ego, so he thinks he knows best about everything. He even pulled everyone off the stage so he could do 2 boring-ass acoustic songs.
Don't shoot me for saying this, but...

It looks to me like you're the one that thinks you know best about everything.

SGarrett

zen_drummer":1peol0hm said:
Drumosaurus":1peol0hm said:

I'd have to agree with this.

dave lynch

Well maybe you have your own tude, but I'll say this..You want to play and you're not scared to get up in front of folks to perform..Sure you have to understand the whole deal goin on, but keep your passion and don't loose it just cuz folks want to give you advise because you're young..Respect is important, but so is passion...Once again don't loose that passion you have..!! Maybe you're to stiff on your playing, maybe it's all you, maybe you're the bad guy...F&*k all that crap...But do remember the most important thing..Like sreamkevin & I said..Think positive..!!

k7mto

I've worked with every imaginable type of musician before, some of whom were complete ***hats, but for the most part, the people I work with are very personable and accommodating. Just this past Friday night we opened for a band we play with a lot (we take turns opening for each other, based upon who expects to draw more people). There were club issues which caused our start time to be delayed. Had we played our whole set, it wouldn't have made their playing time too short to make it worthwhile. They suggested we just play all night, but since most folks were there to see them, we offered to cut our set short. We only played about 12 songs so they could do their full 2 hour set.

Some gigs are going to suck, while others will be fantastic. Chock this one up as a learning experience and concentrate on making the next performance a great one.

SmellsLikeIan

zen_drummer":7vw6hxj5 said:
Drumosaurus":7vw6hxj5 said:

Yup. Also remember that people going to see a praise band aren't there to praise you, they're there to praise Jesus. Sounds like you need to find another band.