Phil Collins Drum Sound

Anyone know the specifics of Phils kit and recording technique for his early 80's songs like "in the air tonight" and "i dont care anymore" ???

I love that tom sound he is getting :D

break the prism":2wbpuj7x said:
he didn't use bottom heads. and he endorses gretsch and sabian. that's pretty much all i know.
No bottom heads, cool thanks man. I have always wonderd what that sounded like. I always thought it would sound good. I'm going to test that out as soon as a I can.

thanks

break the prism

if i may make a suggestion...don't remove your bottom heads. most of the time it doesn't sound too great. i'm sure phil collins had his set custom made and mixed so that they sounded good.

m

that particular 80s tom sound is predominantly a 'gated reverb' effect. The reverb adds space, makes the drums sound huge, then the gate cuts it off suddenly so you still have a very defined envelope- things don't get muddy or mushy. Very dated effect, and an almost signature sound for Phil in those days. Is that one of the most famous drumfills ever, or what? Mostly because of the signal processing, too- not exactly a complicated lick. Just shows that it doesn't have to be, it's all about what fits the song.

Some of the simplest drum fills are my favorite. Phil sure knew what would move people. I'd like to get that drum sound down and use it on the chorus section of a song. that would be cool to have that big tom sound kick in for the choruses.

Hellschef

Spook_Strickland":2artykwq said:
Some of the simplest drum fills are my favorite. Phil sure knew what would move people. I'd like to get that drum sound down and use it on the chorus section of a song. that would be cool to have that big tom sound kick in for the choruses.
That should be done easily enough in a Studio but if you're wanting to Emulate this live then you'll need to use either Drum Triggers or processes the output signal of each Tom through a Reverb unit, and you'll probably have to have the ouput through the FOH extremley "wet" by that I mean having the Reverb effect creating the large portion of the output and the natural or "dry" sound will thefore be less. The danger with this is making your Drums sound too synthetic, this can happen with EQ ing wherby you need ensure that whats coming through the FOH is "true" to the sound of the actual drums otherwise people stood in different place are gonna hear different things, its all about finding a nice balance between the two really.

I hope you manage to get the sound you're looking for!

Kev

NCdrummer

m":16na7u64 said:
Is that one of the most famous drumfills ever, or what? Mostly because of the signal processing, too- not exactly a complicated lick. Just shows that it doesn't have to be, it's all about what fits the song.
I totally agree. It's a simple fill but, MAN, it's so powerful in the context of the song. One of my bandmates played me a cover of "In the Air Tonight." It was a heavier version and I can't remember the band's name, probably because it SUCKED! Brought the drums in WAY to soon so that famous fill completely lost it's affect.

michiganice91

dont remove ur bottom heads unless ur going to be playing in a huge wide open area. the reverb will be bouncing everywhere, and when u hit one drum, the others will vibrate like crazy