Perfect practise pads???

Miron

Hi people,Iwould like to know what do you think about practise pads and did you find any that is suitable for practise...I am very often in a situation that I can not play drums because they are always to loud,so I have to use practise pads...so far I have tryed vic firth (ruber),Remo...I also tryed to put nets (specialy designed for electric drums) on my toms and snare,and that didn;t help me either...Everything gives me too big rebound.so I am interesting in hearing from your soulutions.
Thank you

Eiren

I use those Vic Firth silencer pads, but they don't last me very long. They end up shredded after a month or so.

Never really found anything that worked, so I got a set of V-Drums for when I can't play loud.

Miron

Eiren":1yk3u5mt said:
I use those Vic Firth silencer pads, but they don't last me very long. They end up shredded after a month or so.

Never really found anything that worked, so I got a set of V-Drums for when I can't play loud.
I thought about it but it is not satisfing...I wanna something that have same rebound as drum heads....practising on electric drums is not good idea to because you lost your sence for tone...and to me that is one of most important things for a drumer,and any musician...tone.
Well,thanx anyway...At the end I will make so good isolation room in my apartment so i will not have to deal with tha :D

amontholdDrums

Actually.. ive got me a collection of pads.. i have the Vic Firth Exactopad for snare and quads.. and those feel absolutely amazing.. then i have a reel feel.. i use this one mostly for brush practices when i dont have a snare and the i have another Vic Firth pad that i like.. I like the feel of practice pads but i do know they are really different then actual drums.. but they give muscle strength alot of the times if you use their intense bounce to the fullest..

So i dunno.. nothing feels real but pads are cool...

sp4zium

i use those wierd dowell sticks when i need to play soft... since they have crappy rebound normally, it helps a lot with stick control as well as plays softer... if you dont know what im talking about, its those sticks that are like bundles of long wood cylinders... pro-mark makes some for relatively cheap.

TrunJun

the perfect practice pad is your bed sheets played with two foot long wooden bars instead of sticks

learn to do 300 bpm single stroke rolls and then you'll fly on regular kits!! bwa ha ha ha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

dougthedrummer

A decent practice pad thats cheap are computer mouse pads.They don't offer a lot of rebound but if you put 2-3 together they are a cheap substitute.

mpthreer

well i recently got a hq pad from evans, they are nice for speed drills and its not quite as bouncy as my snare so its good practice..... Another tip i can give you that my drum sensei taught me was use a pillow as a practice pad... if you can roll doubles on that you can roll doubles on anything no matter how loose that floor tom head is hehe... see you guys hope it helps

Damagedrummer

yesterday I bought a Yamaha practisepad. It's double sided, with one side thicker rubber then on the other side. So one side bounces more that the other. It had quite alot of bounce but I don't really think it's bad for practice. It's also about strenghtening you're mucles, like playing in a pillow really helps your muscles develop. But it's also about getting the movement right. If you practice like 15 min. nonstop series of singles, doubles, paradiddles and double paradiddles, and do that like 10 times aday, everyday. That is a real good training too, and not so exausting as playing it in pillows. It's a fairly small, square pad about 22x22 cm. And it costed me about 30 euro's.

Miron

Well, I am not for that kind of practice pillows and stuff...for me it is realy unnecessery...you can develop your speed prety god just practising doubles and singls on snare and practice pad...I can guarantee that you will develop a certain amount of speed that is prety good...I don't see point of practising and be like Dennis Chambers...to me it is upsured,because than I am not a drummer I am a sportist! I just need practise pad with rebound very similar to snare drum,because if you get big rebound (and you do on most of pads)when you cam at snare at higher speed doubles and singles tend to be unclear and "flufy"...

The Duster

i second the pillow suggestion. it will build your wrist and finger strength like nothing else! use marching snare sticks while playing on the pillow, and it won't trick your mind into thinking it's a "real" snare. things won't feel weird when you go back to the kit.

drummert2k

a good practice pad is priceless. i dont know what i'd do without mine. i have about 15 differant kind of pads but my favorite by far is the good old real feel. i use it to chop stuff out in the van on between shows, before shows to warm up, when we're on tour and staying at someones apartment for a few days and i cant play my kit, when im learning new exercises and just sitting infront of the tv kecking a bit.

my vote goes to the real feel all the way. well worth the money.

Scott_Hurford

drummert2k":25yzh3xo said:
a good practice pad is priceless. i dont know what i'd do without mine. i have about 15 differant kind of pads but my favorite by far is the good old real feel. i use it to chop stuff out in the van on between shows, before shows to warm up, when we're on tour and staying at someones apartment for a few days and i cant play my kit, when im learning new exercises and just sitting infront of the tv kecking a bit.

whats the feel of tht practice pad like? i'm looking into buying the 'Real Feel'. Wats the rebound like?

drummert2k

Scott_Hurford":2atpkhlk said:
drummert2k":2atpkhlk said:

whats the feel of tht practice pad like? i'm looking into buying the 'Real Feel'. Wats the rebound like?
the "gum side had great rebound. kinda like playing a fairly torqued snare. great for learning new exercises and stuff. the other side (on a 2 sided pad) is harder and makes you work more for the notes. more for building chops.sorry about my bad typing. the bar was buying the band free jager all night at my gig. typing is a little hard right now. lol