Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, Dw, Pacific, and Yamaha Ups and Downs

In your opinion, state what products from a company listed or any other companies good products and bad products. I would also like to know what you like either Companies etc stands, pedals, snares.
In my opinion i think Dw makes great hardware, i think Tama and Ludwig make affordable sets. Yamaha makes great stands and Tama and Dw make great Pedals.

rockon2112yyz

I think DW makes the best kits, not the greatest hardware. I wasn't too happy with there double bass, I think the pearl eliminator is better than any DW. The new yamaha stands are good, the old ones were horrible. Yamaha is not really a drum company, (ex:they even make there lugs in a motorcycle shop), but they can make an affordable kit.

Pearl makes the best sets.
Tama makes probably the next best set.
Pork Pie makes good thrones/seats.
Zildjian and Paiste make good cymbals although Paiste is really bright and Zildjian is dark... that depends on what kind of music you play.
Yamaha and Mapex make good hardware.
Wuhan makes good gongs.

phoenix7289

I think Tama makes the best stands... And some of the best sounding drums... Also some of the worst cymbals :p They also have one of the biggest selections of drums.

With DW they certainly make the best kickers... they also make very decent drums and hardware...

Pearl I despise... their hardware is complicated and difficult, and the one time I had to work with some of their stuff I was utterly disgusted.

I am not willing to buy ANY Yamaha price... I don't like very many companies that try to be a monopoly and be as universal as they are, as good as some of their drums may sound, I don't really plan on buying anything by them...

Sabian is for progressive players because of the very wide selection. Paiste is for players who are willing to spend insance amounts of money for some of the best sounding cymbals if not the best. Zildjian is more for thrashers if you ask me.... Wuhan makes beautiful chinas and gongs....

Groove Percussion has some of the most disgusting drums and hardware... I will never buy anything by them... Beginners shouldn't even start on that stuff, it falls apart easily.

screamkevin

What's the point of this thread? I don't get it. Is someone looking to make a purchase and gathering information? Or is this just another thread for people to say what's good and bad?

phoenix7289

screamkevin":141thh8n said:
What's the point of this thread? I don't get it. Is someone looking to make a purchase and gathering information? Or is this just another thread for people to say what's good and bad?
I think maybe this is a place for us all just to give our opinions on different companies and whatever.... you know?

screamkevin

Got it.

Well then, check my sig. That's what I use, purchase, and recommend. I don't play products that I don't believe in, period.

That was easy.

phoenix7289

screamkevin":15xurf0m said:
Got it.

Well then, check my sig. That's what I use, purchase, and recommend. I don't play products that I don't believe in, period.

That was easy.
Very simple lol
I know that just about every company has it's ups and downs, just, I have found more good things with Tama... than any other drum company...

Gazdkw82§

why is it people on here dont like yamaha? there kits sound great! iv had my stage custom for over 5 years, giged it more than 200 times recorded numerous times and its sounded great every time!

these was recorded over 4 years ago its the only thing i can find.

http://daz.com/artists/Boomshanker.html

saying that iv never played any other yamaha kit but im really interested in the maple absolute.

p.s i have a ?2500 dw kit so i do have an expensive kit to compare too.

phoenix7289

Gazdkw82§":r14sjckq said:
why is it people on here dont like yamaha? there kits sound great! iv had my stage custom for over 5 years, giged it more than 200 times recorded numerous times and its sounded great every time!

saying that iv never played any other yamaha kit but im really interested in the maple absolute.

Because it is Yamaha :p

screamkevin

phoenix7289":2o61brzx said:
Gazdkw82§":2o61brzx said:

My Yamahas are prettier than your Tamas. :p :p

phoenix7289

screamkevin":3l0phdgw said:
phoenix7289":3l0phdgw said:
Gazdkw82§":3l0phdgw said:

My Yamahas are prettier than your Tamas. :p :p
Shut ittt :p
I do not like the Tama set I have right now too much..... But who focuses more on drums AYE?! Who has more years on drums I believe?! AYEEEE!! lol

Let's stop fighting, I know there are some good Yamaha things... I just don't support brands of anything that don't focus on a few main things... They annoy me... Monopolies psh'ahhh

screamkevin

ROTFL...

Shut ittt
I'm getting flashbacks to the character of Mike Myer's dad in "So I Married An Axe Murderer"!

*Affects a thick Scottish Brogue*

"Look at the size of his head! It's like a pumpkin on a toothpick!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

phoenix7289

screamkevin":26ipkb3r said:
ROTFL...

Shut ittt
I'm getting flashbacks to the character of Mike Myer's dad in "So I Married An Axe Murderer"!

*Affects a thick Scottish Brogue*

"Look at the size of his head! It's like a pumpkin on a toothpick!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!
lol niceee

Scott_Hurford

depending on your personal preferances, all brands are great, but some do have their flaws.
***ALL these are my OPINIONS***
*Tama, DW & Pearl make the best stands/pedals.
*Tama, Pearl & Ludwig make the best sounding kits.
*Zildjian, Sabian & Paiste may be the most popular cymbals in modern music, but companies like Meinl, Saluda & Wuhan also make great cymbals. Although, Zildjian is my persoanl favorite.
*Latin Percussion (LP) make the best percussional instruments.
*Vater & Vic Firth make the most durable and all around gr8 sticks/bags/holders etc...
*Remo makes excellent Drum-heads, the best 8)
*Carling make the best Beer! :wink:

~Scottie Surreal~

phoenix7289

Scott_Hurford":3npof3eg said:
depending on your personal preferances, all brands are great, but some do have their flaws.
***ALL these are my OPINIONS***
*Tama, DW & Pearl make the best stands/pedals.
*Tama, Pearl & Ludwig make the best sounding kits.
*Zildjian, Sabian & Paiste may be the most popular cymbals in modern music, but companies like Meinl, Saluda & Wuhan also make great cymbals. Although, Zildjian is my persoanl favorite.
*Latin Percussion (LP) make the best percussional instruments.
*Vater & Vic Firth make the most durable and all around gr8 sticks/bags/holders etc...
*Remo makes excellent Drum-heads, the best 8)
*Carling make the best Beer! :wink:

~Scottie Surreal~
Very straight forward lol
Niiiice

nickbaldwin

Hey im new to the site

These are my preferences:

Kit: Yamaha (nice and fat sounding, even the cheap ones) or Pearl (except Exports)
Hardware: Gibraltar, no question. Solid AND lightweight.
Pedal: DW 5000 pedals are nice, as are Eliminators.
Cymbals: I would say Meinl, ranges from crisp modern sounds to traditional dark sounds, with a lot in between.
Percussion: LP
Heads: Evans.
Sticks: Vic Firth.

andybfrank

Tama makes great hardware, but I've never really cared for their drums, which I know, is completely subjective. I liked my old Yamahas, but not the hardware (the hoops, lugs, rods seemed to rattle a lot). DW makes awesome hardware and drums, but I can't justify paying that much, especially for the hardware when you can get the same thing for less money with Iron Cobras. Gretsch makes the best sounding drums in my opinion and the hardware (lugs, hoops, legs, etc.) is rock solid. They don't make hardware (stands, pedals, etc.), but I like the Gibraltar tom holder the drums came with. I used to be Pearl all the way, but I have really come to like DW and Tama hardware a lot better and I think the drums are kind of average sounding compared to Gretsch and Yamaha. Ludwigs sound great, but I'm not too impressed with their pedals.

Blond_Duke

I know i'm new and most of you will sit and look at what i say and think i'm a dumb ass that knows little about drumming but these are my thoughts and things that i have experienced from playing these sets over the years.

Tama is pretty good all around. Many drummers that hate Tama still buy their gear which is great. But their sets are very well made despite what some may say.

DW has to be one of the best and their gear is fantastic but it is all a little bit pricey unless you have been saving or don't have many other expenses to worry about.

Pearl sucks completely can't stand playing them unless i have to. Their gear breaks to easy, doesn't last (neither does their sets), has some of the oddest operating systems (by that i mean the layout of the lugs and gears in their stands and what not) i'll stop here because i could go on and on.

Most all Yamaha sets are good but you need to test them first. I don't know much about their gear because any Yamaha set i have played had either Tama, DW, PDP, or some other brand of hard wear on it.

In the end a lot of people say they like pearl over tama or DW over yamaha because of it's their favorite drummers set, it's what their friends have, it's what they have and don't want to admit they might have a crapy set, local drummers in bands might have it, a teacher or higher level drummer they know likes it and they want to "fit it." It could be a number of things that makes people say this brand sucks and this brand is great. Most entry level drummers will just pick a brand that is based off of reasons like what i listed above.

The best thing to do is get your butt to a local music store and test them babies out, get an idea on what you like, ask yourself why (if it's for looks then don't do it; go for sound and quality) then read what other people have to say and make your choice. I just got a ddrum set in Dec. many people asked me why because they were shitty and i said how do you know. They answered with "well i played one in a store and it sucked." (reason why is because ddrum factory heads suck and thats what they use on display models) ddrum is a good brand but it's not for those who don't have a thick enough wallet to buy new heads when they buy the set. It takes some playing around with to get the right sound out of them but i'm glad i got this set. I won't get another ddrum just because none of their high end sets tickle my fancy. The one i have now is a middle of the road set when it comes out of the box and a good set when it is upgraded.

dob?

i have a fusion set of green yamaha stage customs... love em. its the older version with really crappy tom mounts, thats the only real downside. i also wish it wasnt a fusion set but hey, they were in like-new condition (needed new heads thats it) for 400 bucks! cant beat that with a stick :p