Pearl MMX experience

danne87

New member
I bought a Pearl MMX 14*6.5 snare couple of months ago. I've tried 4 different heads and tuned for hours. It still sounds boooooooring. I've lost hope in getting a good sound from it. It sounds shit to be honest.

Does ANYONE own this damn snare? If so: give me complete info on heads (batter and reso) and tuning.

I'm seriously pissed of.
 

SGarrett

New member
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "boring", but that's an outstanding maple snare. It's likely to be your head choices or actual tuning. Try a single ply coated batter cranked up tight and a light snare side head tuned to almost glass tension. If you're already doing that, make sure you're getting even tension across the heads.
 

danne87

New member
When I say boring I mean it sounds like a 30$ snare with stock heads from a cave somewhere in china.

I have a Evans EC head right now. This one sounds worst. I will try remo once again and tune to death.
 

metldrummer2112

New member
danne87":3oj7vruz said:
When I say boring I mean it sounds like a 30$ snare with stock heads from a cave somewhere in china.

I have a Evans EC head right now. This one sounds worst. I will try remo once again and tune to death.
I have an Evans EC Snare head and it's not worth the money at all. That's why you're getting a bad sound
 

SGarrett

New member
danne87":3r9ty7kj said:
When I say boring I mean it sounds like a 30$ snare with stock heads from a cave somewhere in china.

I have a Evans EC head right now. This one sounds worst. I will try remo once again and tune to death.
Again, put a single ply coated batter head on it and crank it up. If it still sounds boring, I'll give you $30 for it. :)
 

danne87

New member
SGarrett":3mfxzciw said:
Again, put a single ply coated batter head on it and crank it up. If it still sounds boring, I'll give you $30 for it. :)
You can have it for 30$ if you promise me you urinate on it and then blow it up :D
 

Martin

New member
Man, I cant believe you dont like the sound of that snare, I own a Pearl session custom snare, same dimentions. Its a somewhat similiar drum and I find it has a great sound at all ranges. I currently have it cranked on both batter and reso with an Evans Genera single ply coated on the batter, and an Evans hazy 300 on the snare side. Try it out, it'll definately be better than the ec head.
Also thinking... have you checked the drums for actual flaws? Like being out of round, or a bad bearing edge maybe? idk, just a thought.
 

danne87

New member
Martin":18o5dqym said:
Man, I cant believe you dont like the sound of that snare, I own a Pearl session custom snare, same dimentions. Its a somewhat similiar drum and I find it has a great sound at all ranges. I currently have it cranked on both batter and reso with an Evans Genera single ply coated on the batter, and an Evans hazy 300 on the snare side. Try it out, it'll definately be better than the ec head.
Also thinking... have you checked the drums for actual flaws? Like being out of round, or a bad bearing edge maybe? idk, just a thought.
I have checked the drum for errors, and none discovered. It got to a point were I thought I liked the sound. When I sat behind the kit and pounded the snare I got a good feeling. Then my friend played and I took a few steps back and listened I changed opinion.

Thanks for the head advice!
 

danne87

New member
OK! I recorded two days ago. I used my MMX snare and really liked it :) I bought a Remo Ambassador Coated and tuned it very high like SGarret said! Thanks for the advice man. Big ups!
(The tuning took 1.5 hours :p)
Mp3 coming in the near future :)

take care
 

SGarrett

New member
Right on, man. Glad to hear it. It takes a lot of playing with a new snare to find the sound(s) you want out of it. :)
 
Top