pearl masters or tama star classic performer

XIxPxGX

in the next few months im going to be stepping up from my pearl export select to either a pearl master or tama star classic performer both are at a good price
the pearl masters is $900 for 3 pieces (bass drum and 2 toms) and the tama star classic performer is 5 piece (3 toms, snare, bass drum) which is $1200 i just wanted to know your opinion to help me make my decision cause my dad was giving me advice and hes leaning more towards the tama but he also doesnt play drums. but hes read up on both of them and it seems to be the tama is built better. i myself am a pearl guy but i just wanna know whats best for my money since i just got a job and its going to be my money. thank you

loop

The Performer can be either 100% birch or birch-bubinga, masters can be MMX(maple, thin shells), MRX(maple), BRX(birch) or MHX(mahogany, thin shells) - there are more masters kits but these are the most popular. I have Performers(100%birch) kit with a MMX snare and I'm pleased with them. If I were you I'd probably go for Tama, because the set is bigger.

andybfrank

I too used to be a Pearl guy, but after hearing what else is out there, Pearl is not really one of my first choices. I think Tama has great hardware, so if it was just between Tama and Pearl, I'd go with the Tama because I'm not too crazy about either of the drums anyway. Personally I think Gretsch is by far the best sounding kit for the money, and the hardware is great too. You might not agree, but I think it's worth checking out, because it really is amazing what you get for the price. I'm talking about Gretsch Renown Maples or above (New Classics, USA Custom), not the Catalinas, although the Catalinas are great sounding drums and very inexpensive.

Sway

Tama really resonates well and alot of what ive seen from pearl is they like to drull holes for the poles in the toms and that just makes it sound bad i think. I would say though that you should go with the TAMA cause its bigger and if you want a 5 piece its there and if you want a 4 piece you can do that to. Id say get Bubinga though like that guy said if you really can cuase it sounds so freakin sweet!

Benhamin

i was a pearl guy
but theres alot better
pdp cx kit is something you should check out
all maple its really nice $1000
but i would go with tama
i hate pearl mounts, and other drums sound better

XIxPxGX

thank you! yea i was leaning towards the tama because it resonates better and better hardware, etc. i only use a 4 piece but you never know when your gonna need the smaller tom for gig situations but i like to keep it simple. thanks again!

DevintheGreig

GOOOOOOOOOO PEARL MASTERS!!!!!! thats what i currently play, i got MMX diamond burst w/ black hardware, sizes, 8 10 12 14 16 for toms and i must say slap some pinstripes there ans you'll be all set. and if you have the money get a double eliminator pedal.