Pearl Export expansion

drummerfreek55

Back to the comment about the toms being far apart, I'm looking into Pearl's DR-501C and 501CE to mount everything to a rack, particularly if I start adding more cymbals so I'm sure there will be changes made to the location of the floor toms. The longer I play with this setup the more I see what you're getting at. Pics to come tho within the next few weeks!

drummerfreek55

The two two-leg hat stands that I've been familiar with through friends and my own kit are Pearl's and Tama's but I've never heard of any of them having problems with wobbling and mine's been great for the short time that I've had it. My guess is that the biggest reason there might be wobbling would be the positioning of the legs but that's pretty much common sense in my opinion.

drummerfreek55

Well the first side of the rack is home. I'll have to fiddle with drum locations once the second side is ordered but I like the looks of it so far. I included a couple pics of the new addition below. Thanks for lookin' as always.

drummerfreek55

Are you referring to why it's hung from above? If so, if you look at the pics when everything was on stands, I had it hanging pretty low between the bass-mounted tom and the other two. The rack legs are pretty high and wouldn't allow me to position it that low without hanging it from above. If you look at the first pic I just posted, the wingnut on the right is actually where the leg ends so that gives you an idea of how high they go. I could always get another clamp and mount it to the bar itself but for the moment it works.

drummerfreek55

No need to be sorry haha. Ummm, on the china topic I would say go Wuhan. The 16" I have is amazing. I'm not really a fan of my AAXtreme 15" but that was free with the purchase of another Sabian cymbal I bought awhile back. I also like my Meinl Gen. X filter china. Soundwise it sounds like a china-crash hybrid, trashy/washy but with more sustain than a normal china. If you're looking for lower priced chinas, I would lean towards Zildjian or Paiste, maybe even Meinl. I'm not too knowledgeable about Paiste or Meinl as far as price and sound quality but with Zildjian I would say look at the ZXT. I have the ZBT 18" and it's alright for an entry level china but it's nothing to brag about. Again tho, you won't find anything quite like a Wuhan. Guitar Center stopped getting them and I think they carry Agazarian now which is what mine is but both company's (Agazarian and Wuhan) cymbals are the same.

b b253

oh i didnt know that agazarian and wuhan were the same. lol, i need a china that is really loud and dark, like i need a really good one and a kinda low level, so you like wuhan the best out of your 3?

drummerfreek55

That would be my pick. I'll shoot a video tomorrow of the ones I have just to give you an idea but out of all mine, yeah Wuhan all the way.

metldrummer2112

It's really quiet. Quieter than my wuhan which is 4 inches smaller. However, once you break it in, it's really dark and has a really good attack. It's a really heavy china so it's more of a kang than a trashy sound. Overall, it's definitely a purchase I would make again.

b b253

Wow thanks man. i Like the wuhan the best out of all of them, yours is an 16" right? I have a 16" too and i recentlly cracked mine. But it was good to hear the other too, they were a little light for me. But thank you man i appreciate it.

drummerfreek55

Yeah mine's a 16" and i agree that the other two don't sound quite as good but I'm working on a budget too. The Meinl, I forgot to mention, has a crack in it but I'm hoping to replace both at some point. And you're quite welcome for the video!

drummerfreek55

A bit of a teaser here but the second side of the rack should be delivered by the end of the week so I will be posting more pics as well as switching the toms over to PCX-200 clamps. All in all I'm very excited to see everything rack-mounted.

drummerfreek55

well here she is, with completed rack and all... well i'm two cymbals short here but you get the idea:

The APX Ozone sitting on the throne and the Meinl back on the chair are future additions but I'm holding off on buying two boom arms as the rack and clamps were quite pricy.

drummerfreek55

So I just got three new cymbal arms as part of an upgrade/expansion this summer. I removed the Gen. X china which has been cracked for quite some time and in its place will come a 16" Meinl Classics Custom crash. Unfortunately, it looks as though another rack clamp and cymbal arm are in store first but there should be more updates to come relatively soon in the next few months.