PDP 805! WOW

drumschick07

I just bought a PDP 805 6x10" side snare about two weeks ago. And I have to say it was really worth it. It was very inexpensive, I paid $100 for it and it sounded great! I was really, really shocked. Have any of you guys used this snare and what is your opinion on it?

break the prism

it is a really good snare for the prics, and just an all around good snare. well...the stock heads are pretty bad. but thats easy to solve.

i agree, i love mine. innexpensive, good quality, and very handy with the attached clamp. but yeah, ill agree. the stock head either has to be fixed up like i did with mine at first or replaced (which i also did after i completely annihilated the stock one).

break the prism

i like how you can get a really good drumline style sound out of it, while at the same time you can get a really good poppy sound.

also sounds great as a tymbale or high tom.

earldrum

I have had the 805 snare for about two years. It is an interesting sound that I use very rarely. The drum is a good small high pitched timbale, but the snare sound seems to be loud and high pitched. I have tried to tune it down and play it lighter, but it doesn't sound good that way. I have also tried different heads like a coated emperor, white emperor, coated ambassador, and clear emperors. None of these heads sound great to me.

Has anyone found a good head combo for this drum???

I heard a similar drum with a Remo CS black dot head that sounded really nice. The local Guitar Center doesn't carry these heads --- I keep forgetting to order one when I purchase from out-of-state music stores.

My last comment is the bottom needs to be changed because it is as bad (i.e., a semi-pro remo head) as the orginal batter head. The batter head was the first thing to go when I brought the drum home.

IMHO, I wouldn't tell anyone to go out a buy the drum, but it is nice to have one just in case I need it.

drumschick07

The stock heads definently aren't the greatest but its easy to change. Once you put a new head on there and tune it good it sounds great. You're the first person I've heard say they didn't like it. Everyone has their opinion though :]

drumr4life509

i agree their great little snares for the price not to mention they come in a great variety of colors unlike the average snare.

ultrastu

i was thinking of buying one of these how do you guys rate the alternatives compared to this one is it worth shelling out a bit extra?

Cheers for you help!

drumschick07

ultrastu":3w0xh8vq said:
i was thinking of buying one of these how do you guys rate the alternatives compared to this one is it worth shelling out a bit extra?

Cheers for you help!

Pork pie makes a little snare drum that looks a lot like the pdp 805 (but it doesn't come in all the fancy colors) I think its called a squeeler. Of course it sounds a lot better than the pacific. Its about 100 bucks more but if you have the money go for it. If I had the extra cash I would definently have went with the pork pie.

sicdrummer

hey man thanks for the comment about the pork pie cause im not sure cause i really want a side sanre but i have bout 230 and think if i should get a really good snare or the pacific and get something else probaly gowith the 805 since i be living in the 305=D

anavrinIV

drumschick07":3kpfm9t3 said:
ultrastu":3kpfm9t3 said:

Cheers for you help!

Pork pie makes a little snare drum that looks a lot like the pdp 805 (but it doesn't come in all the fancy colors) I think its called a squeeler. Of course it sounds a lot better than the pacific. Its about 100 bucks more but if you have the money go for it. If I had the extra cash I would definently have went with the pork pie.
remember, though, that the little squealer is a 12x5. it does sound killer and i know a couple guys that use them as a main snare but i like my maple 6x14 much better than the 12x15. my snare has more body but still a warm, loud crack to it.