Paiste Painted Cymbals

michiganice91

anyone have these...do they look cool and what not..i'd like to get rudes in black or white..theyd look tight as hell..but its been really hard to find pictures of the painted cymbals on the internet..anyone got any?

screamkevin

There may be others, but the only drummer I know of using colored cymbals is Joey Jordison of Slipknot. His were custom done by Paiste in white, with the Slipknot logo in black.

Howepirate

Can you tell me more about your colored cymbals?

The application of colorsound cymbals were developed to visually enhance the cymbals during a time when the drumming community demanded it. With the music community always changing and evolving, the demand for colored cymbals declined which Paiste recognized. Considering these changes Paiste decided to discontinue the colored series.

The series that included colored cymbals were the Colorsound 5, 2000 Colorsound, Visions and Rainbow Series. With regards to how the color is applied; the pigment used and exact nature of Paiste's ColorSound application process is not public information. Sorry, but some secrets need to be kept.

Any Paiste cymbal is available in black for a 30% surcharge. Because the cymbal is made in Switzerland, the lead time is 4 to 6 months. You can make custom orders through your local drum shop.

from the paiste website

techsavvy85

Vader also made colored cymbals but the were under the Paiste Company.

Howepirate is correct about the Paiste cymbals being avaliable in black for a 30% surcharge.

Really, Black Paiste is your best option.

However you may be able to fing some online. I have also been looking on ebay recently and have not been able to find anything.

Some other names you may be able to find with color options is Harpy Cymbals and Krest Cymbals. Krest just recently bought out the Harpy company and is based in Brazil. I have had a hard time finding any of these as well, however i did buy a 5 piece set (14" hats, 16" crash, 18"ride, & 6" splash) on ebay for $96. The cymbals sound pretty dry to me and don't ring out like good quality cymbals, they are also made of the B8 alloy.

michiganice91

yea..i know joey uses em..and by the way thats the best picture of his white cymbals ive seen..but what about pics of the black ones..?

michiganice91

damn..thats tight...ive never even heard of vader...so is that process really so hard to do on your own..somoene should go get a job with paiste..then tell us how to do it :p

skitch

Steve Jordan (excellent drummer) sold a ton of Colorsounds for Paiste when he was on the Letterman show everry night.

earldrum

The colored cymbals had the look that went with those Simmons SDS V or SDS VII Drums really well (i.e., they looked good in 80's videos). Like said previously, Steve Jordan was the only drummer I saw that played them from the rock, pop, jazz world.

Now I believe the only way to get new colored cymbals from Paiste today is to custom order them which is big bucks because you pay retail & a customization cost charge. The guy from Slipknot --- well he get's a good "deal" to play those cymbals which could be free to 70% off list price depending on his endorsement deal. Anyway you look at; unless you find a music store with that has that magic colored cymbal in stock and they want to move it --- you will pay top dollar for a new colored cymbal.

The other way is to go is to purchase it on ebay. Search Paiste and you will find used colored cymbals. The Colorsound 5 series is actually a Paiste 2002 cymbal painted - these were sold between 1985 - 1987ish. The Vision line was created for Terry Bozzio before he went to Sabian in the 1990's. IMHO Vader cymbals are a real entry level cymbal - they were lower than the Paiste 404 line which was the lowest line during that period (kinda like the Alpha series today).

I owned a 16" Colorsound 5 crash cymbal for about five years during the 80's. The big difference is that the crash sounded slightly muffled from an natural 2002 crash cymbal. The other difference is that the paint does get scratched if not handled in a very gentle manner. Be careful of this when buying from ebay. Make sure you see lots of pictures and that the paint job looks good.

To me colored cymbals are a fad. Putting my drum collector hat on ... it might be cool to have a set of Red Colorsound 5's to go with my 1972 Green Vistalite kit? It could be my Christmas gigging drum kit. :D

ultrastu

all the paiste colored cymbals where made to be brighter because the paint fulled the sound so technically they should sound the same. The Best place to order them is from julian at ecymbals he will do you a good deal.

screamkevin

Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden) had a few Colorsounds in his kit in the 80's. Check out the video of "Live After Death" from 1985, recorded in Long Beach, CA. He's got a few in his Sonor setup there.

ludwigdrummer29

tommy lee had a set of red color sounds in a motley crue video...cant remember the name...the one whare hes in the spining glass space thing