Paiste 2002 vs Rude china! I'm in a pickle!

skorcher

First off, I'd like to say that I'm madly in love with Paiste cymbals. I think their quality is unmatched right now. With that out of the way, I'd like to get to my arguement.

I need a new china. My 20" Wuhan finaly broke, so I thought it was about time to upgrade after about a year and a half.

I'm stuck between two chinas. The Paiste 2002 18" and the Paiste Rude 18" China. Both are the same price, and I'm not exactly sure which one will suit me best.

I'm in a metal band, and I'm a relatively hard hitter. I looking for a china that's got a pretty trashy sound and is loud. I need something that's going to last, but overall I need something of quality and amazing sound.

If anyone has experience with either of these cymbals, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Maybe a list of the pros and cons of each since I can't play either of them due to my local guitar center not carrying many Paiste cymbals.

Thanks again.

~Mikey

ShadowDrummer

Paiste all the way man!!

I own a RUDE China and that thing is downright nasty! Hands down has the trashiest tones and cuts through EVERYTHING!
Since you play metal, I would highly recommend the 18'RUDE China since RUDEs are built more for endurance and louder situations where projection is a must.Sounds great on recording as well as long as you hit it hard enough to open its character

I must say though for the full potential of this cymbal to be heard, it would be more effective live or in a larger area.Don't expect to get the same tone playing this at a Mezzo Piano (Medium soft) as you would a Fortissimo (Very loud)

But this cymbal is defiantely worth the money im my opinion.

dahlgrendrummer

Either the Rude china or a 2002 Rock China will do the trick. The rude will be 10% more durable, I've owned both and the rude lasted 2 months longer than the 2002.

Raider05

Hey,

I have the 18" Rude china, and while I don't have an 18" 2002 china, I do have an 18" 2002 Novo china, 20" 2002 china, and 20" Dimensions china.

I'd recommend the Rude from the sounds of your playing, but I like em all really. The 20" 2002 I have is by far the loudest of my 4 chinas, and I don't even like hitting that sucker unless I have my earplugs in.

millsybaby

I owned an 18" Dimensions Power China and sold it as it wasnt quite meaty enough for alot of the metal i was playing at the time, i changed to the 18" Signature Heavy as it was just pure balls in Bronze. I also however own the 18" Rude China and an 18" Rude Novo and their also both fantastic.

The 18" Sig heavy is the darkest of the 3, the loudest and just tears straight through the mix. The Rude(standard) is the most "typical" china sounding, with that bright yet dark crash right in your face and is however brilliant for china/riding. The Rude Novo is the cross between a crash and a china i've ever imagined, again pretty loud but the quietest of the 3, great cut and definition but alot more open than the other 2 with much more sustain in its sound, but the usuable bell is a big bonus as its a nice dark effect for those drop d breakdowns. The Novo will set you back an added 30% on the price of the standard Rude, and i imagine the Sig china will cost a bit more - but i'd say its definatley worth it.

DrumHead15

I have played an 18" 2002 China for almost twenty years and it is amazing. I used to have a 22" 2002 china as well, very loud. I have and love the following other Rude cymbals, 22" ride, 13" SE hihats, 17" and 18" crashes and 8" and 10" splashes. IMHO the Rude china is just too thick. If you were playing a Wuhan then you are already used to thinner chinas. I would recommend the 2002, more durable than Wuhan not quite as trashy though. Mine records beautifully. Just a Paiste user opinion. Good luck, either way it's still a choice between Paistes!

anavrinIV

if youre willing to step outside the realm of paiste then i have a suggestion....

18" or 20" sabian hhx chinese. if you liked the real fast, trashy response of the wuhan then this may be what youre looking for. listen to dream theater (portnoy uses chinas a lot) and when you hear the china its an hhx. also check out the sound on sabians website.

if youre hell bent on paiste, the 2002 will be more versatile and overall a better buy.

galgano16

this is a hard 1, i have both 2002s and rudes and 4 the ones i hav in certain types, they r good 4 wht they're made 4

Drumming_Animal

i got an old 20" RUDE China, no idea how old it is but it sounds quite good, remember that the RUDEs are designed to be loud and for metal

phoenix7289

If someone really wanted a nice good china, a Signature 22" Heavy or 18". Nicko McBrain uses them, and god damn they sound amazing!!!

ShadowDrummer

Dude get that 18'RUDE china, that thing will destroy spleens in appropriate settings.
A 2002 will give WAY before a RUDE ever will.....especially cuz aRUDE china is nearly twice as thick as the other one.

Spydr2000

skorcher":3g7px3pp said:
First off, I'd like to say that I'm madly in love with Paiste cymbals. I think their quality is unmatched right now.
I couldn't agree more! I say get both!!!!

galgano16

i'd say good with the rude china, unless u r thinking about getting a 2002 novo china, then the decision becomes even harder

phoenix7289

galgano16":3ovzf5st said:
i'd say good with the rude china, unless u r thinking about getting a 2002 novo china, then the decision becomes even harder
Yah, do you know what is up with the Novo Chinas? I don't understand them... what makes them Novo? lol

Howepirate

phoenix7289":23bnji7h said:
galgano16":23bnji7h said:
Yah, do you know what is up with the Novo Chinas? I don't understand them... what makes them Novo? lol
They have a crash cymbals bell that isnt inverted .. or is inverted... ok so if you had the china like --\_/-- the bell would be up .

phoenix7289

Howepirate":3icapbpw said:
phoenix7289":3icapbpw said:
galgano16":3icapbpw said:
They have a crash cymbals bell that isnt inverted .. or is inverted... ok so if you had the china like --\_/-- the bell would be up .
Yah I noticed... now if they sound really good is what I want to know!