Paiste 2002 Medium Hi-Hat Black

eml

So, I had my first session with teacher today, or rather a drummer (not educated or such, but a good drummer). When he saw my hi-hat he kinda glared for a moment and then told me that these are very rare and that I should be extremely careful with them, as they're gonna get pricey soon. Apparently Paiste only makes these with red text nowadays, but mine have black text. Anyone want to comment on this statement? Should I stop playing on them and cash in later? ;)

EOTE_drummer

ive only seen 2002's in red. but, you wouldn't think just from text color it would sky rocket in value, unless you have a hardcore paiste freak.

Airborne Ranger

Paiste used the simpler, smaller black logo until the very early 80's. After around 1982 they went to the much larger red logo and expanded the line of models and sizes. The cymbals are the same with both logos but they just changed the logo to reflect the addition of many models and so they could be seen better on MTV. The cymbals you have might be valuable to a collector of vintage cymbals, the same way people are always looking for vintage Zildjian K's. The Paiste models that are most collectible are the long-discontinued Formula 602 series, especially the flat rides. They are especially sought-after by jazz drummers which is what those cymbals were designed for.

eml

Airborne Ranger":3223jejw said:
Paiste used the simpler, smaller black logo until the very early 80's. After around 1982 they went to the much larger red logo and expanded the line of models and sizes. The cymbals are the same with both logos but they just changed the logo to reflect the addition of many models and so they could be seen better on MTV. The cymbals you have might be valuable to a collector of vintage cymbals, the same way people are always looking for vintage Zildjian K's. The Paiste models that are most collectible are the long-discontinued Formula 602 series, especially the flat rides. They are especially sought-after by jazz drummers which is what those cymbals were designed for.
I see, is 602 the predecessor of 2002?

Yeah I wouldn't think it'd have a sky high value right now, but perhaps in ten years it'd be very attractive for the vintage collectors. I might just by myself a new hi-hat just to save this one, if not for selling it just to have a little collection item myself. :)

Airborne Ranger

No, the Formula 602 series was not the predessor to the 2002. The Giant Beat was the predessor to the 2002. The 602 was made from a different bronze formula and were designed for the jazz player and had a more subtle, darker sound. The Paiste Traditionals line is more in line with the old Formula 602. The 2002 was totally different, they were made of a brighter, harder bronze and were designed for the rock music that was getting popular at the time. The 2002 & 602 were produced alongside each other until the early 80's when the 602 was discontinued. They also has other lines like the Sound Creation series that featured more esoteric models like dark chinas and large bell rides. Paiste has incorporated many of the qualities of the earlier lines (like Novo Chinas, Flat Rides, Big Bell Rides), into their current catalog.

eml

I just found this on ebay (click me).

I'm watching that sale, if he succeeds to sell his hi-hat for that price (I have the exact same) I'm going to put mine on ebay too (or some similar site). That'd at least solve my money crisis a bit, as I could easily buy a new hi-hat + a crash for 600$. Perhaps even two crashes. :)

Airborne Ranger

I doubt he will sell them at that price. $600 for a set of 70's hi-hats is pretty crazy. In the real world those might be worth $200. If they were 15" 2002 black label sound edge hats, then a Bonham fan might buy them, because that's the size/model he used. Anyone who pays $600 for those is crazy. Not to rain on your parade or anything but I'd be really surprised if they sold for what he's asking.

eml

Yeah I think it's fairly high too, but if he succeeds I wouldn't be surprised another one could be sold for the same price.

pow3rtr1p

You could always list yours for $375, and some sucker may think they're getting a sweet deal when his are $600. It's a thought.

eml

pow3rtr1p":f9gm4rw9 said:
You could always list yours for $375, and some sucker may think they're getting a sweet deal when his are $600. It's a thought.
Indeed, but I could as well just keep it then. :)

Rem

black labels are retro... very retro, they use red from like 80s (ish) onwards

seriously... dont over play them.... theyll be worth enough get two new sets of hats

eml

SimpleRem":2lzdlgql said:
black labels are retro... very retro, they use red from like 80s (ish) onwards

seriously... dont over play them.... theyll be worth enough get two new sets of hats
Well, sadly that's too late. I still use them, but the label's gone on the top hat. :)

JamesJ

I recall just several years ago that Paiste re-introduced 2002's with the old black logo. I think they did this for the entire 2002 line. They also re-introduced 2002's with a black label that were consistent with all of the sizes that John Bonham used and they were sold as a "pack" at a special (read:expensive) price. There is a good chance that you have one of these black logo re-issues. If not, then you indeed have the old one's; which, actually aren't that rare and don't sound any different than the red logo versions. Yet, another thing about the 602's - Paiste was releasing heavier versions of their 20%-80% 602 alloy up until the early 90's. Jeff Porcaro (sp?) used them drumming in Toto. Alex Van Halen also used Heavy 602's. Stewart Copeland used 602's before switching to Rude's. I have a pair of 14" Heavy 602 hi hats from around that period, as well as a Heavy 10" 602 Bell. I've seen 602 Sound-Edge hats, too. I have seen the entire 602 line released in "Heavy" versions. I guess people preferred their sound over the 2002's. True, 602's were originally manufactured for jazz musicians, and the Giant Beats came out as replacements for the heavier drummers (who consistently cracked the old 602's), but they didn't replace the 602 line. Nor did the 2002's replace them. John Bonham even played with a 20" or 22" 602 ride in addition to his 2002's in the early days.
ANYway......I love the blue logo 602's combined with the bright red logo of the 2002's. The 602's will NEVER be re-released, according to Paiste. There are enough similar characteristics to be found in both the Signature and the Traditional lines. And now, with the introduction of Paiste Twenty's, which use the same 20-80% alloy, the fate of the 602 line is sealed. Forever discontinued.