Paiste 101

anavrinIV

i think youll like real cymbals better. paiste 101 are brass, not even bronze like zbts or b8s (at least im pretty sure theyre only brass). even so i dont like them at all. there are cymbals much, much better out there and youll find that out the more you look around and listen to new cymbals.

Scott_Hurford

i really dont like these cymbals, we have the universal pack at my college and they just dont sound good at all to me :( i honestly think the Zildjian planet Z's are better :shock: even tho they are crp too :eek:

Dale

SteelArmada":oz7lhc9a said:
i have the paiste 101 universal pack, and i really like them for the price, what does everyone think?
I think they are fine for what they are. I recently gave a Paiste 101 ride cymbal to a brother and sister who are both students of mine. They love it! It's got a nice big bell and a huge crash sound.

bubnjar-pula

i like my 20 inch paiste 101 ride only because it makes a relly good noise while riding it...as soon as you hit it real hard the sound just gets worse and worse...you could try duck taping on the down side of the cymbal like i did and it improves then sound a bit ...TRY IT !

brian

i think think they are great cause i am on a buget, and they dont sound like absolute shit, at least they sound like cymbals, i do want to turn my 101 ride into a sizzler though

jbreshears

i use mine as accents against my other cymbals and they sound great that way, but by themselves they suck

bloodshotneo

Personally I LOVE Paise ,but the Zildjan Mega Bell Ride. IS AWSOME there's only 25 and I have one of them. and I swear Im not lieing bc that would get me no where. On the other side of the kit I have a Planet Z 20 " ride. I know paiste has nothing to do w/ it, but it's all on what kinda music you play. It's not this sounds Awsome. It's how the cymbals fit to music. Sabian/ Zildjan/ Paiste --Mainly Metal / Rock / and Country More Zildjan there
and in Christian music you have Camber and Alot of Paiste. It's just all in how it fits to the Music. and there's a billion cymbals and BILLIONS of sounds in Music. so you pick. I really Like them all when Used right. but Im also just one opinion out of many.

stump

CRAP!!! Word to the wise... if you want cymbals with good sound you have to spend $$$. Good cymbals are one of the most important things to have on a drum kit. Crappy cymbals can make a nice drum kit sound like shit!! If you think a cheap cymbal sounds good...take it to the music store with you and compare it to a higher quality line. My bet is the old one ends up in the junk pile. Peace!!

infiznitch

I cannot comment on the paiste 101 series based on personal experience, only by reviews i have read. They seem to be... less than great cymbals, even by sheet cymbal standards. If you're looking for a decent set of cheap cymbals, I personally would go with B8. The b8 rides i have played have been too washy for my taste, however they seem to build pretty solid crashes, even for heavy hitters (don't get me started on that!). Hihats... once again very solid heavier than what i expected for such a low price. So if your into some of the heavier rock genres and are low on cash, consider investing in some b8 crashes/hihats.

deep-illusions

I love paiste over almost every other cymbal...though I do have a zidljian A crash...
I dont really like the 101...i tried it a while ago and just didnt feel comfotable with it...if ur on a budget then Id say its ok, they dont crack as easily and have a nice effect on them. Not to mention they look quite nice.
So my opinion is, if u dont have enough money for a better choice...then go for it, other wise u better upgrade.

Spydr2000

stump":2ecx8pry said:
CRAP!!! Word to the wise... if you want cymbals with good sound you have to spend $$$. Good cymbals are one of the most important things to have on a drum kit. Crappy cymbals can make a nice drum kit sound like shit!! If you think a cheap cymbal sounds good...take it to the music store with you and compare it to a higher quality line. My bet is the old one ends up in the junk pile. Peace!!
Define '$$$' for good cymbals. I have been a paiste user for 16 yrs and used just about everyline they had. I have not tried paiste's 101 but that is the bottom of the line. I did go to the website and checked out the sound clip, I probably wouldn't buy this cymbal but they do make much better cymbals for just a few bucks more.

I use to use Signatures, Sound Formula's, Rudes and 2002.. All of these I broke. I love the sound of their cymbals I use to have 2 sets on hand when I was out on the road. Since I was spending 5k a year on cymbals a paiste 802 caught my ear at the shop, so I bought it and put it to the test. I tried breaking that cymbal the first time I played it. Well that cymbal took a beating (for a long time) and sounded just as nice as the crashes I was paying $250 to $300 for. I think at the time that cymbal was only $70. Since then I'm hooked on lower line crash cymbals, I think the alloys in them are alot stronger than that of a higher end cymbal but still have great tones. I currently use PST5 crashes which sound great. If I were you look into the PST3 or PST5 lines. You will find your better tones there. I usually just go to the shop and hit a signature than hit a lower line cymbal until I find something comparible.

Mikkey

The 101, 201, and 301 are bottom of the line. For just a little more the PST 3 (don't bother) or the PST 5 (sound really good) work well and are the best budget cymbals out there in my opinion. I have a PST 5 medium hats and PST 5 medium Ride on my auxillary kit. They both rule. I don't like the medium crashes though. Seriously, just go for the PST 5s, they aren't that much more. Great sound. I like 'em even better than some of my AAX cymbals.

loop

Mikkey":j4tzkay8 said:
The 101, 201, and 301 are bottom of the line. For just a little more the PST 3 (don't bother) or the PST 5 (sound really good) work well and are the best budget cymbals out there in my opinion.

101, 301, PST3 - brass
201, PST5 - bronze

dougthedrummer

I think what alot of you are failing to realize is Paiste 101's are a decent cymbal for that new drummer.This guy might be a new drummer and you all are ridiculing his stuff and making the dude feel like crap.If you all think that high end cymbals are the only way to go for this guy..start donating some of your stuff to him..other wise be honest with him..Paiste 101's are a good start,but look into some other cymbals down the road.Save up some money..buy 1 at a time if you have too.Its not all about having $2,000 in cymbals.

fuzionman

I have a Paiste Innovations ride, and I think it gives me an incredibly crisp and clear sound. I've noticed this especially in the recording studio. All of my other cymbals are Zildjians, so that says something about this particular cymbal. I loved it from the first moment I tried it. A good brand overall, in my opinion.

xdoseonex

Dont buy cheap cymbals, you can tune drums, you cant tune cymbals if you on a budget i reccomend the sabian aax line. thats the cheapest you gonna get cymbals that accually sound really good

dammow

dougthedrummer":3k1pqot3 said:
I think what alot of you are failing to realize is Paiste 101's are a decent cymbal for that new drummer.This guy might be a new drummer and you all are ridiculing his stuff and making the dude feel like crap.If you all think that high end cymbals are the only way to go for this guy..start donating some of your stuff to him..other wise be honest with him..Paiste 101's are a good start,but look into some other cymbals down the road.Save up some money..buy 1 at a time if you have too.Its not all about having $2,000 in cymbals.

i completly agree with you! when i started drumming aged 11/12 yrs old my first cymbals were paiste 'brass tones'. i assume these were simaler for the time which would have been 1991/92 era. all i ever wanted was zildjian A / K or Z or whatever but they where way out of my price range but the paiste got me started. 1 or 2 years later i got a set of sabian B8 PRO cymbals for christmas which i was real happy with. [ i still have the hi-hats and ride to this day and stilll use the hats ocasionaly] then since leaving school 11 years ago and getting a job i could afford the cymbals i always dreamt about. im now the proud owner of zildjian A new beats, A ping ride, A china boys and 6 or 7 A / A CUSTOM crash cymbals. not to mention loads of DW 9000 hardware etc. so i have no problems about budget cymbals because basicly if there were no 'cheap' options out there then i probably would have never carried on drumming as my parents would not have spent £150+ on every cymbal i broke in my school years!!! ITS ABOUT HAVING FUN- NOT THE BEST SET UP!