Painting Drum Shells

JasonDeLima

Timekeep69":1lai5jj3 said:
Before you drill.

Any auto paint will work but be sure to seal the grain first and prime it.
Uh oh. Before?
I'm ordering from AmDrumParts, and they include free drilling/bearing edges. Would that be a problem?
And how do I seal the grain/prime it?

Timekeep69

No it won't be a problem, just make sure to tape the holes from the inside. Paint doesn't seep through like stain does.

I think you can use sanding sealer to seal the grain, let me get back to you on that.

JasonDeLima

Timekeep69":1e54zo5y said:
No it won't be a problem, just make sure to tape the holes from the inside. Paint doesn't seep through like stain does.

I think you can use sanding sealer to seal the grain, let me get back to you on that.
How do I tape the holes from the inside?
Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm new to this.

zen_drummer

JasonDeLima":1sy4iq6v said:
Timekeep69":1sy4iq6v said:
masking tape.
I know I should use some sort of tape, do I take a tiny strip of tape, and tape around the inside of the hole?
Rip off a piece of tape and cover the hole from the inside of the shell... you're not trying to prvent paint from getting into the hole... you're trying to keep if from running into the inside of the shell where it would be ugly.

JasonDeLima

zen_drummer":u2f06nul said:
JasonDeLima":u2f06nul said:
Timekeep69":u2f06nul said:
masking tape.
I know I should use some sort of tape, do I take a tiny strip of tape, and tape around the inside of the hole?
Rip off a piece of tape and cover the hole from the inside of the shell... you're not trying to prvent paint from getting into the hole... you're trying to keep if from running into the inside of the shell where it would be ugly.
Oh alright. Thanks. I just thought that the paint layer would make it hard for the lugs to screw in.

antiunderscores

JasonDeLima":1bquw5jh said:
zen_drummer":1bquw5jh said:
JasonDeLima":1bquw5jh said:
Timekeep69":1bquw5jh said:
masking tape.
Oh alright. Thanks. I just thought that the paint layer would make it hard for the lugs to screw in.
it could but it will also help them hold better in the long run and after that the whole will have widened so if you unscrew it/rescrew the lugs it will be the same as it would of been without paint

Kaos

You can also fill the holes with plumbers putty then after painting you can use a nice sharp drill bit and just twist it with your fingers to remove the putty. It works really good for stain too, if you have to do a shell that is pre-drilled.

JasonDeLima":24jyv3zy said:
zen_drummer":24jyv3zy said:
JasonDeLima":24jyv3zy said:
Timekeep69":24jyv3zy said:
masking tape.
i use artist's tape. it's not very sticky and won't leave any marks / take off any wood on the inside of the shell.

i had to do that on one of the last snares i did. i didn't have time to do the drilling so i had it done via amdrumparts.

worked like a charm.

drumsjbutten

what about painting the fade or did you just paint a straight colour?

did u find it easy overall as a first timer?

cheers 8)

eml

My black wrap is starting to come off so I'm thinking about painting my shells too. Tough job?

johnisonfire

eml":2mu4zcsg said:
My black wrap is starting to come off so I'm thinking about painting my shells too. Tough job?
It's not tough as in the difficulty of work, but to get a truly good finish it does take patience. And a dedicated work space where the drums can sit for about a week or two while you're doing the whole process. You pretty much sand the shell smooth, prime the surface, paint it with a few thin coats until you get the desired finish and then add a few coats of clear poly. I like to lightly sand between each coat of paint with very fine sandpaper. I use 0000 Steel wool to lightly sand in between the coats of poly. After the final clear coat, I wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper and then take an orbital buffer to it with some 3M Trizact Machine Glaze. It gets pretty close to a professional high gloss finish. Without spraying anything.

I've also achieved a good hi gloss finish with the above process and a spray lacquer from an aerosol can that I got at Home Depot. The trick is the light sanding and the final wet sand and buffing with machine glaze.

wait 24 hours between each coat of paint and poly. patience. halfway through the process it may look like crap, but keep with the clear/lightly sanding coats and you will see improvements.

AmnestysLowEnd

^^^ Exactly 123 but try to let the shells rest for 2-4 weeks so the paint has time to properly cure if you don't the lacquer will dent/damage at the slightest perssure, believe me I've done a bass with spray cans and the lacquer smeared because
I put it in the stand.

Palryo

sealer, primer, paint got it that answers my question :D

painting isnt very hard
but if you are new at it, its best to try out on a scrap board or something before you try for the final product

painting with a spray gun is fun xD

HVLP preferably