Pacific CX in Black Onyx

aztec1

This is my kit, my first upgrade from my very first stencil kit I got about a year ago. Took forever to find a setup that was comfy, and this forum was a huge help with that!

-Evans coated G2 tom batters, G1 clear resos
-Remo clear Powerstroke 3 bass batter w/Falam Slam, stock batter for reso
-Remo coated Emperor snare batter, stock snare side
-PDP 800 hardware
-20" Sabian B8 ride
-14" Sabian B8 thin crash
-16" Sabian B8 thin crash
-14" Sabian B8 hihats
-10" Sabian B8 Pro splash
-16" Wuhan china
-6" LP Black Beauty cowbell w/Gibraltar bass hoop mount

I have a noname super trashy 12" china that I don't have a stand for right now, and just got an Acrolite that needs some cleaning before it's added to the set as well. Nothing new happening for a LONG time, I need to concentrate on playing now!

WhereSheWept

I just bought a pdp cx kit and was wondering how the g2 heads sound on yours. What kind of music do you play and do you find that the g2's fit the sound you're looking for? I have remo pinstripes on mine right now and I'm not thrilled with the sound.

aztec1

WhereSheWept":1sos3y2h said:
I just bought a pdp cx kit and was wondering how the g2 heads sound on yours. What kind of music do you play and do you find that the g2's fit the sound you're looking for? I have remo pinstripes on mine right now and I'm not thrilled with the sound.
Right on, another CX owner! 8) Have any pics?

Funny you should say that about the Piinstripes, I used to have them on mine too. I could not get them to sound good to my ear. For some reason they didn't stay in tune very long and they had almost zero sustain, and I like my drums to ring out. They had too much of a "thud". They sounded great on my aforementioned stencil kit though.

When my buddies come over with the guitars we rock out and try to play some simpler AC/DC and stuff like that. When it's just me and the bassist or I'm by myself I (try to :wink: ) play more jazz, blues, and funk for practice and learning more independence. They are tuned pretty low.

The G2's are the only heads I've tried besides the Pinstripes on this kit. I got them because I thought the coating would enhance the warmth of the maple, and they do. I also wanted to go in the complete opposite direction of Pinstripes. They have are pretty good blend for what I'm playing. When you smack them, they have a good amount of attack, and it's hard to hear the long sustain over the guitars anyway. When you play them lightly, they still have a ton of sustain and warmth. They are durable enough to withstand the pounding they take on guitar nights and articulate enough for light playing when I'm alone. I would probably get G1's if durability were less of a concern. I've had them for several weeks and coating doesn't even have any marks on it. They really opened up the kit's sound and subsequently improved my playing. In short, I love them.

Sorry for the long post, hope some of this helps.

Snareman911

i have same exact heads on my drums on my pdps and they sound perfect! i also got a superkick 2 bass drum head look in to buying one they are worth the money!

phoenix7289

Joi":13dhh1kk said:
phoenix7289":13dhh1kk said:
I think the wuhan is actually a 12"... they don't make a 10".
It's a 16", read the post.

Joe
No I ment toward someone who had mentioned they "had the 10" Wuhan China." Wuhan doesn't make a 10" and I don't know any other company that makes 10"ers either.

aztec1

Thanks for the nice posts everyone, and also the suggestions for some different sounds, I appreciate it and will definitely look into them soon.

Unfortunately, they might have to wait a bit ... I found an unbeatable deal on these. So much for "play more buy less" :lol:

15" Zildjian A Custom Mastersounds

20" Zildjian K ride

WhereSheWept

It's pretty scary, but your set up is pretty much identical to mine. Drum placement and cymbal placement. Only difference is that I have an additional 16" floor tom and my drums are royal blue.

BTW, how does the dog sound when you hit it with a stick?

phoenix7289

aztec1":2buaek27 said:
Thanks for the nice posts everyone, and also the suggestions for some different sounds, I appreciate it and will definitely look into them soon.

Unfortunately, they might have to wait a bit ... I found an unbeatable deal on these. So much for "play more buy less" :lol:

15" Zildjian A Custom Mastersounds

20" Zildjian K ride

Damn... that's pretty nice!!!