P.O.ED

GiveItAll

yeah so im a little pissed, tonight we had a benefit show for Amnesty International at a local college...we were supposed to go on third but since a band didnt show up they had us go on second...everyone that was in the room for the first band (which was like an indie rock acoustic kind of music) walked out the rest of the people just sat there..then we get off and the next band comes on which had a synthesizer and was again mellow kind of music everyone came back in danced and all that jazz,oh yeah we play grunge/punk

im sorry but i just think it is damn rude to do that, whether you like the music or not...and the other bands sat in the hallway while we played which again cmon!? the least they could do was be respectful and listen to us i always stay and listen to all the bands when i play shows i never leave early or sit in the hall i think that is just plain rude

also, the heat was cranking and they just happened to have me set up right underneath the heating duct so heat was blowing on me the entire time i was playing....i was sweating more than a hooker in church.

so yeah thats me venting, anyone else ever have this happen to them? the guests are one thing but other bands too?

rufus4dagruv

When it comes to the audience, there's not a whole lot you can do to keep them there if they aren't into what you're doing. I wouldn't take it too personally.

It would be more appropriate for the other bands to give you a listen and pop back in from time to time, but I do not believe that they would need to stay throughout your entire set. Personally, I would use the majority of the time that I am not on stage to mingle with the fans and try to talk to club owners/booking agents or other band's management; always be networking. When talking to fans, one way to end a conversation is to tell them to go check out the band that's currently on stage and say as many nice things about them as possible.

If I were in a grunge/punk band, and I was put on a bill between to folky acts, I would insist that our first tune was one that was a little more chill in nature. The crowd is more likely to respond positively to that and it might help entice them to stick around and check you out. Prove to them and the club owners, promoters, and booking agents that your an adaptable band, and it will help you get more and more gigs. Good luck.

SGarrett

I've been in exactly the opposite situation, an adult contemporary pop/rock band in the middle of hard rock bands...in a punk/hardcore/straightedge/whatthefarkever club. Very few people stayed to watch us and the ones that did talked the entire time we played, we were their background music. Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that not everyone is into everything, you just have to play your best and chalk it up to experience. Most people who go to hard rock, metal, punk, or whatever shows don't want to listen to some middle-aged house wife sing about her problems. People who would be into that generally don't want to hear loud and in-your-face music. A lot of people flat out find loud music offensive and disrespectful because it's damaging their hearing.

GiveItAll

we opened with a mellow song that sounded similar to what the other bands were playing, and as far as the bands networking? no they sat in the hallway in a little circle and talked...once their stuff was moved in they sat in the hallway and talked to eachother

i know the audience is one thing i dont take that personally they dont like us oh well (i wrote this original post right after the show so i wasnt happy) but to me the other bands should at least pop in for one song...ya know?

rufus4dagruv

GiveItAll":nhq1o8me said:
i know the audience is one thing i dont take that personally they dont like us oh well (i wrote this original post right after the show so i wasnt happy) but to me the other bands should at least pop in for one song...ya know?
I hear ya, man. It sounds like you guys did your best given the situation. As frustrating and disappointing as it was, at least you got through it. We all play gigs that just don't work out the way we'd like, but as long as we all play as well as we possibly can, there are no regrets.

cableman26

GiveItAll":2pujtm3j said:
we opened with a mellow song that sounded similar to what the other bands were playing, and as far as the bands networking? no they sat in the hallway in a little circle and talked...once their stuff was moved in they sat in the hallway and talked to eachother

Yea, I hear ya man it's a respect thing.

stump

You guys that know me know that I am all about respect. If you have a gig with other bands then show some love and support. To not do that is gig sin to me. As far as bringing a crowd of your own, that is great, but closed venues can shoot that posssibilty down. As far as people who don't listen to your style of music...oh well! Enjoy playing even if it's for the 1 or 2 people who dig what you do and by all mean don't short them on your performance. Word spreads. Peace on ya!

rufus4dagruv

stump":119cr31e said:
Enjoy playing even if it's for the 1 or 2 people who dig what you do and by all mean don't short them on your performance. Word spreads. Peace on ya!
Very good advice right there! We have booked gigs that were referrals from people at gigs where they were the only 1 or 2 people there. Of course, this can also go the other way.

GiveItAll

yeah we've had our fair share of playing in front of 1 or 2 people...but we still put it on like theres a crowd of 100+ the whole band thing just got to me...i hate when bands do that...thats like playing there set and then just leaving...disrespectful to me

SGarrett

GiveItAll":km4kq9ey said:
yeah we've had our fair share of playing in front of 1 or 2 people...but we still put it on like theres a crowd of 100+ the whole band thing just got to me...i hate when bands do that...thats like playing there set and then just leaving...disrespectful to me
Again, maybe they just didn't want to deal with the volume. I walk outside during really loud bands, too. I also walk outside when I don't like the band on the stage. The worst thing you can do is take it personally.