ouch!

zen

hey fellow woodsmen. i'm new to this site. i have a question. sometimes lately after a rehearsal or set, my left wrist is sore. i'm one of those drummers who use the rim along w/ my snare to get the sound i want. like a rimshot/snare hit type of thing. i'm thinking this may be the problem. if so i must recreate my snare style. any words from the woodsmen council?

zen

druming=life

try stretching your wrists for a good 10 mins before you play everytime, and it dosen't take much to get a good rim shoot so you might be using alot of force instead of just using the way the sticks hit too your advantage, you might try raising your snare too, thats just what i think might help, i'm not a professional so anyways else might say i'm wrong

BillRayDrums

Whenever you experience pain, it's usually onset by either improper technique, overuse, or hyperextension. Loosen up, don't hit so hard. The drum only goes so loud!!

SGarrett

BillRayDrums":1sk48swv said:
Whenever you experience pain, it's usually onset by either improper technique, overuse, or hyperextension. Loosen up, don't hit so hard. The drum only goes so loud!!
Give that man a cupie doll!

Rockula!

I have been playing mostly rimshots for about 10 years now and I never have problems with my wrists
The stretching thing is right on but here are some other tips
Kepp your snare as flat as possible
Try not to sit to low
Adjust the height of the snare so that when you hit it, your wrist is straight at the end of the stroke
If volume is a problem, play with the butt end of the stick
Rimshots are louder that way

SmellsLikeIan

Also, triple flanged hoops can take away some of the shock if you're using die cast now. Triple flanged just don't tune as easily......

Gretz

I would say that your injury sounds closer to a improper snare position more than the rim

try lowering the drum a bit so you can get a more complete stroke.

if you're catching the drum before your wrist has the chance to complete it's motion you may be getting the pain more from inadvertently choking up on the stick than from hitting the rim

iatemygoat

this happened to me a few years ago. for 2 weeks straight my wrists always hurt after playing. eventually it just went away. i still dont know what it was. but i would suggest stretching out and doing some warmups. get a little loose.

roach4ever

i would recommend taking some time to slowly practice your rimshots so you can really look at your technique. my guess is that your problem may be in your grip. try to practice rimshots where the stick absorbs the shock and not your body. you can learn to achieve this by loosening your grip on the stick a little. also, adding a 'whipping' motion always helps to maintain power while also staying relaxed/loose (similar to the motion used to crack a whip). this approach also helps you incorporate gravity (weight of your arm + weight of stick) to produce powerful sounds versus just muscling your way through there. just my two cents. good luck.