opinions on PDP drums

Kaos

I'm most interested in the Birch FS series, But PDP in general will bee good. I'm considering buying a new set and this is one of the top three Im thinking about but know almost nothing about. thanks for any help

stump

PDP produces great kits. As you probably know they are made by DW. They sound awesome so enjoy! Peace on ya!

PDP9000

i have been using a PDP set for four years and it sounds great for live shows specially when its mics on it so ya there every fun to play on and agin they sound great

LawNinja

I've tried one of my friends and personally didnt like it, but if you want to buy it then more power to ya.

stump

LawNinja":mx84ivue said:
I've tried one of my friends and personally didnt like it, but if you want to buy it then more power to ya.
Which model did you play? And what about it did you not like? Peace!

wanglegacy

i have never played them,
but as long as you dont get a low-end like everything else i'm sure its worth the money.
although i have always seen them as DW's baby kits.....

anavrinIV

Drumosaurus":3jnz2r5s said:
check out the X7's. they rule
theyre also lower end than mx, cx, lx, fs.....

im not a big fan of pdps personally, ive just never thought that they sounded all that great. ive played the maple one with a wrapped finish...cx i think...and not only was it horribly tuned but i didnt even get a good feel from it and ive been displeased with all the pdp sets ive played. for intermediate sets i would go with mapex or gretsch...they seem to really know their shit.

Alcyon

a couple guys on these forums have had really bad experiences with their PDP gear... apparently the hardware is really lacking and the companies' support isn't too good. i've never owned one though so ask them.

Jriddim

I got a pacific cx, and sometimes, you would really need to concentrate to tell the difference between that and a dw...i dunno maybe i got lucky with my kit...but when in tune, and with the right heads, pdps can sound amazing! I have played maxpex before and wasnt impressed at all... it wasnt really in tune, but i dont think you could tune the toms anyway. i just dont think they were capable of good sound, they were so just blah... the snare sounded good though... pdps are definatley capable of good sound... get good heads, and have some patience.

Jriddim

oh yeah, and recently...a person tripped on my ride stand ( that was holding my 12' tom) and it came crashing to the ground!... i though i was fucked... but i picked it up and nothing happened! no broken shell, no broke hardware!... I think the pdps hardware could be a little beefier....but if you are really that picky just buy a dw.

SGarrett

I've been playing a Pacific LX for the past three years and the biggest issue I've had is a seized and then broken tension rod on the snare. It's seen many gigs, both live and studio, and it's never let me down. When Tesla's sound man (who also runs sound at a local club) says your kit sounds good, that means something. Other than the stock heads that sound like paper the only two things I don't like about the kit is the snare but I have the older eight lug model not the newer 10 lug model. So the snare could sound a lot better now. The other thing I don't like is the small kick feet, they could be a lot beefier.

The only difference between CX, CXR, MX, MXR, LX, and LXE is the finish. They all have the exact same shells. FS and FX kits share the same birch shells. And all but the EZ kits have the same drum hardware. The stands and pedals are what changes for the different price points. The hardware's light because honestly, not everyone wants stands that weigh 10lbs. each like the DW9000 series. When you start moving stuff around several times a week that heavy gear gets to be a real pain in the ass. I use a mixture of DW and Pearl stands for exactly that reason. Snare stand, hat stand, and throne are DW and the three cymbal stands are Pearl.

If Pacific sucks, why do all of these killer players (http://www.pacificdrums.com/artists/roster.html play them when they could easily endorse a Tama Starclassic Maple or Pearl Masters? I'll pull just a few names out of there. The Reverend, Billy Ashbaugh, Billy Ward, Tony Royster, Jr., Brooks Wackerman, Longineu Parsons, Jose Pasillas, Steven Perkins, Johnny Rabb, Mike Cosgrove, etc.. You don't keep players like that with crap quality because they all came from DW endorsements. Nine times out of ten, when you hear a kit that sounds bad it's because of the heads, tuning, and/or player.

Oh, and DW does not make Pacific. They own Pacific. Example, would you call a Cadillac a Chevy just because GM owns both companies? Nope. :)

Dusteroo

Any PDP drum I've sampled at Guitar Center has sounded swell.. The toms to me, have always seemed even a little TOO toned. But if you have a bad experience with a drum being that it would sound flat and stale, it's probably because the drum is in the wrong environment.

Always consider that the room you're in is just as much the drum itself than the drum you're hitting ~ you must make sure there's resonance between your drum-shells and your environment.

As for the hardware goes, PDP is made by DW(and DW hardware is the best; most expensive), so together, they'd fit like a condom.

oamgreg

The snares not soo great, but I feel everything else is up to DW standards. I been playing a PDP set ofr the better part of 2 years and I love, I use a pork pie snare, I like a little more pop, and that is the only thing that PDP's snare is in capable of. Howerver, change both batter and reson heads to Remo, and it'll sound a lot better. The stock heads are lame, lose tune and tone very easily, I stand by Remo heads, change 'em and you've got yourself a great kit. The reason they are cheaper, is because of the labor, they are put together in Mexico, so that is why such a huge difference in price from DW, but they are in fact made by the same co. DW does own, and design PDP. Viva la cheap labor

downshifter99

Their shells are good but,their hardware is very bad.

Everyone that sells them are like "DW Pacific Drum Set" or just "DW Drums for sale"...I find it funny how people think just cause it says DW that it's good or charge way too much for it.

Now,I think that if you got one of the high-end PDP and put some other manufacturers hardware on them then I think you'd really have a durable,great sounding drum-set that is now custom because you changed the hardware.

Maybe clean-up the bearing edges on the bass drum for better boom.

Anyhow,cheers/good luck. :twisted:

SGarrett

oamgreg":1mvexcw1 said:
The snares not soo great, but I feel everything else is up to DW standards. I been playing a PDP set ofr the better part of 2 years and I love, I use a pork pie snare, I like a little more pop, and that is the only thing that PDP's snare is in capable of. Howerver, change both batter and reson heads to Remo, and it'll sound a lot better. The stock heads are lame, lose tune and tone very easily, I stand by Remo heads, change 'em and you've got yourself a great kit. The reason they are cheaper, is because of the labor, they are put together in Mexico, so that is why such a huge difference in price from DW, but they are in fact made by the same co. DW does own, and design PDP. Viva la cheap labor
They also use a different grade of maple.

I use Aquarian heads. How much the snare sucks wasn't really apparent until I tracked the kit for the first time. It's been replaced with a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute.

downshifter99":1mvexcw1 said:
Their shells are good but,their hardware is very bad.

Everyone that sells them are like "DW Pacific Drum Set" or just "DW Drums for sale"...I find it funny how people think just cause it says DW that it's good or charge way too much for it.

Now,I think that if you got one of the high-end PDP and put some other manufacturers hardware on them then I think you'd really have a durable,great sounding drum-set that is now custom because you changed the hardware.

Maybe clean-up the bearing edges on the bass drum for better boom.

Anyhow,cheers/good luck. :twisted:
The hardware on the drums? What's wrong with it? I've been using it for three years.

Again. The only difference between a Pacific CX and LXE is the finish. They have the same shells and hardware.

scotttyrcha

Haven't had much experience with em'. I did use a set when we back lined another band equipment for a show we did together. They seem to be made pretty well. I prefer the maple myself, but I guess it comes down to what you can afford and what sounds best to you. I've heard both good and bad reviews. Good shells, hardware sucks! You may need to replace the snare with an actual DW snare or one you prefer.
But that's just me! Good Luck! :)

just my .2 cents

JAdrums2k

PDP's are great drums..... as close as you can get to DW's without investing 1000's
with good quality heads and proper tuning they sound very sweet....

downshifter99

[/quote]

The hardware on the drums? What's wrong with it? I've been using it for three years.

Again. The only difference between a Pacific CX and LXE is the finish. They have the same shells and hardware.[/quote]

I'm talking about the tom mounts,all the bolts and screws are rough...they should be smooth and easy to operate(I've seen this with quite a few PDP sets)....you shouldn't have to crank the hell out of them to get them to hold.

Anyhow,that is what I'm talking about.

I just got a set of Taye drums and everything is smooth,no massive cranking to get my tom to stay put. :idea:

prplptcrzr

I own an FS Series kit and soon after I bought the rack system for it. I love it. The red satin matte finish is gorgeous. I wasn't crazy about the heads, so I replaced them all with Remo Ambassadors. Nice....

Overall, the kit has a warm, phat sound and is not bad as an affordable alternative - especially since they're made by DW! You won't go wrong with getting a PDP kit, but let me encourage you to visit a music store that sells them - maybe has one on display so you can bang on them to see/hear for yourself. It's all about what you like.