Opinion on the Roland TD-10 expanded

ObZen88

Just picked a set up for $2500.00. Was basically the best deal I could find since you can't get the set anymore, only the TD-20, which is damn pricey. Is the TD-10 worth it? Should I have just ponied up the $$ for the TD-20? Whats the overall opinion on the TD-10 with the expansion module?

m

what are you planning on doing with it? Recording, rehearsing, gigging?
I have a Td10ex in the studio, replaced it with a TD20. The 10 has some nice punchy sounds, but the 20 'feels' a bit more realistic to me.
I like the electronic tones in the 10 better though.

ObZen88

Planning on doing mostly recording...From what others have said in there experience it seems like it enables a lot more options with recording..Also makes it a bit easier getting the better sounds and tones than an acoustic set in the studio..I probably wont do much live with it..Unless it is mixed in with my acoustic kit..One thing I am concerned with though is since they dont make the kit anymore how I am going to replace parts if I need to. Are the TD-20 parts and pieces interchangable? If I wanted to get the td-20 brain later could I use it with the pads I have now?

m

well, in that it puts a lot of tones at your disposal, I guess more options are enabled. I wouldn't expect those tones to sound exactly like/as good as a well-miked acoustic drumset. If you want something quick and easy for demos, or don't have access to a good mic/preamp/recording setup, you probably will get 'better' tones with the E's. But it's no match for a well-miked A set.

For the module itself, I'm sure they could still do tech work on it if it ever fails. Would be hard to replace anything physically though.
As for the pads, you're covered there. That's what I did, just bought the module, not the whole kit. It's all pretty much backwards-compatible.

markmywords

yeah i was checking out the td-20 and would upgrade to it, but you say the pads are pretty much the same the 105's 125's and the 175? The do feel the same, the only thing I really was looking for was that nice high hat with the td 20.

Plus the TD-10 ex i have has a problem with the audio input, think the jack is messed up, which is lame I kinda wanted to use it as an in-ear monitoring system with click and junk. Might be better off getting a metronome with a mix in. Safer for my module, not traveling as much.