One-Handed Roll

ChrisNichols

Soo...anyone here know how to do a one-handed drum roll? I've been having a whack at it and I'm buggered if I don't sound an absolute tithead doing it.

The only guy I know of who can is Ian Paice (then again, he has been drumming quite a bit longer than me). Anyone know how he does it?

drummert2k

yeah, its super easy. you'll have it in like 2 minutes. the easiest version is called the free hand technique or gravity blasts. search for it on youtube and you'll find out how to do it

lowdrummer

all you do is rock your stick back and forth on the rim, ya it will probably take you like 30 seconds to learn, then match that with your bass drum and you got yourself a gravity blast.

MrMcFetus

Yep. That's about it. Looked it up on google about a year ago and found a thirty something dollor DVD on it. I thought to myself, "You know what... a bunch of people are gonna learn this and put it on youtube." Sure enough, searched it a couple months back and found it on youtube (gasp!) Learned it in two minutes, tops.

Bryan Deruchie

yeah, sure - but gravity blast snare beats sound very different from the "one - handed roll" that Ian Paice or many other classic drummers do. The one I'm practicing is from Dave Weckl and its basically done by swinging one stick (preferably the left) back & forth in a 2 or 3 inch bracket and doing double taps on each passing stroke. Really slow sounds like poop at first but once sped up and played properly it looks and sounds like a full double stroke roll.

Or for a buzz roll sound try doing triple bounces on each stroke ~ good luck!

the left hand is recommended so it leaves the right hand free to roam around the set to do whatever it is you're trying to accomplish! (for right handed players)

Bryan Deruchie

snareline07

Another way you can do it....I couldn't tell you how, this would be a lot of research on your part and it sounds a lot better than on the rim one handed rolls. My drum tech for my high school drumline taugh us how to do this one handed roll that you do two taps with your fingers and then then two with your wrist....it's not that easy though and I explained it a bit different from how he did it, so look it up! It sounds like an actual roll without the rim if you learn it right.

Naicitrom

I was gonna post a new thread but I guess this is a good place for it...
I just learned last night how to one-hand roll, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to cut out the annoying sound of the stick hitting the rim...

drummert2k

Naicitrom":m1ui3z89 said:
I was gonna post a new thread but I guess this is a good place for it...
I just learned last night how to one-hand roll, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to cut out the annoying sound of the stick hitting the rim...
practie. the more comfortable you get with it the more you can rock on the rim without actually having the stick hit the rim

xdoseonex

I acually strarted a thread about that banner on the forum that makes al those outragouse claims about the 1 handed drum roll. "automatically win every drum battle you enter, hands down" hat things a disgrace, but the one handed roll can be vry usefull. This a techique where you use the rim s an axis o play twice as fast. as for the person thats getting the stick click sound, remember your first hit hits the skin of the rum and the rin at the same time, it should give you a rimshot sound, then when you pull up the tip of your stick should hit the drum. if your getting a stivk cick sound your probly not hitting the firt hit properly, you either hitting the rim beore the skin or visa versa. I'v pretty much got this techniue down pat, so if you have any questions or are still having trouble you can email me at XdoseoneX@aim.com and ill be hapy to explain further or post a video, but this is a very simple technique

ibringtherock

ChrisNichols":3g1y8e23 said:
Soo...anyone here know how to do a one-handed drum roll? I've been having a whack at it and I'm buggered if I don't sound an absolute tithead doing it.

The only guy I know of who can is Ian Paice (then again, he has been drumming quite a bit longer than me). Anyone know how he does it?
Check out this video for examples and explanation...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hw4vMV3EnRw

drummert2k

madchops82":1k3wre15 said:
I hate that thing..cheating
yes, it is cheating. but crowds eat it up. and as drummers we're supposed to be entertainers, right?

besides, although i do use the "rim roll" while playing drum n bassish beats, i perfer the open close myself. eventhough its not as powerfull and quite as fast its still just a personal satisfaction knowing i can do it.

chachaman02

Also, you should try the Push-Pull technique. Its pretty complicated. but it works with every drum. when you hit the drum (the push) hit it in a way that leaves the stick suspended in air. like how u would hit it for a double stroke but dont let it bounce. Then straten your hand out and the stick, almost automatically, hits the drum again (The pull). its quite simple once you get the hang of it.

zero_or_die77

busemptydrmmr":31yj400l said:
Woah! like right after i read the first few replys i went and tried it , and i got it, so pretty much its not hard. lol
yeah me too. still can't get it to where it rolls fast though. i guess that will come with more practice

meddlejordison

One-handed rools are pretty good. But that is definatly a "music store" drummer thing to do. I think you should just worry more about Rudiments than that.

madchops

I watched that one handed roll video by that Jared Faulk guy. He isn't even that good. His playing was sloppy and mediocre. The one handed roll is for players who can't get a decent two handed one. This is my opinion.

myspace.com/billbougill