one handed how dose this work?

drummert2k

2 things. T-Barker is a very talented drummer (i know im gonna get a lot of bashing from the the barker haters but i dont care) and also left foot playing a snare (trigger i believe) and he also has a floor tom to his left which would help on fills.

drummert2k

i persoanlly and a huge barker fan. not sure why so many drummers seem to hate him. i dont realy care though. to each their own. but yeah, he was a huge influence on my drumming. probably one of the biggest.

Gaddabout

He's obviously going the the Rik Allen route and using a triggered snare with his left foot. Most likely sampled from the OTHER snare he has to the left of his hi hat, which is he gets some of the more involved snare licks in. Either that, or they're both triggered snares from the same sample.

It's not difficult if you use your left foot for normal time keeping. Same principle, different pedal. Rik Allen got a lot of love for being a one-armed drummer with that set up, but I always felt it was more patronization than anything. My hi-hat is almost always in sync with the 2&4 on the snare when I'm playing the ride cymbal. It's the exact same technique.

Gazdkw82§

drummert2k":1hyhbtjk said:
i persoanlly and a huge barker fan. not sure why so many drummers seem to hate him. i dont realy care though. to each their own. but yeah, he was a huge influence on my drumming. probably one of the biggest.
iv not heard anythin from travis that has impressed me, however iv not heard alot...

is there anything you can show him doing that is impressive?

Guy&i

has any of u guys seen a real 1 handed drummer that kicks ass?
i have. he didnt have to use a snare trigger. the energy of that dude!
he lost his left hand from the shoulder down... but u cant even notice he is playing with 1 hand.
he baught 2 pairs of drumsticks and was joking about it... after all he only uses 1 stick :)
a great guy and a great drummer...

with all do respect to travis barker, he should use both of his hands just cuz he has both. let the less fortunate worry about playing with 1 hand...
sure its a fun practice sometimes but just for strikin a pose... hmmmm...
besides its not that hard playing single handed if u have a trigger...

MasterShake89

Guy&i":28c3lqzi said:
has any of u guys seen a real 1 handed drummer that kicks ass?
i have. he didnt have to use a snare trigger. the energy of that dude!
he lost his left hand from the shoulder down... but u cant even notice he is playing with 1 hand.
he baught 2 pairs of drumsticks and was joking about it... after all he only uses 1 stick :)
a great guy and a great drummer...

with all do respect to travis barker, he should use both of his hands just cuz he has both. let the less fortunate worry about playing with 1 hand...
sure its a fun practice sometimes but just for strikin a pose... hmmmm...
besides its not that hard playing single handed if u have a trigger...
if u didnt notice, his right wrist/hand was jacked up and was in a splint. temporary solution to his problem was to play with one hand.

drummert2k

Gazdkw82§":9zrhny4e said:
drummert2k":9zrhny4e said:
iv not heard anythin from travis that has impressed me, however iv not heard alot...

is there anything you can show him doing that is impressive?
if you can put up with listening to blink 182 or boxcar racer ( i personally feel both bands were pretty bad but i really really enjoyed travis's drumming) listen to the take off your pants and jacket and then the last blink cd and also the boxcar cd. but you have to really listen and almost try to learn the parts. its not that they are technical, i just think they're really creative and really make the music what it is.

some blink songs i like drumwise are "always", "down", "not now", the bridge to "reckless abandon",

and boxcar racer songs "tiny voices" and "watch the world"

now again, these songs arent hard to play on the drums by any means. i just like how the drum parts are written. i personaly find it creative.

but unless you can stand hearing tom's annoying voice you probably wont be able to get through an entire song to really get into the drums

drummert2k

shirleythewerewolf":37rbawsp said:
Travis does some amazing drum solos, one of which is available on the Orange County Drum and Percussion site. Here's the link for anyone interested in taking a look...

http://ocdrum.com/barker/
to anyone whos gonna watch that and say its not impressive and easy. you are right. BUT....... if you've seen him live in the last like 2 or 3 years i believe, his solo is over top of a backing loop that he is more or less grooving over. hence why its more of a jam session than a solo. but i still think its cool though.

Flatliner

I think Travis is probably on of the best drummers in the style he plays and I think he has great taste and is very inventive in his style where most drummers playing similar music seem to be pretty repetitive and boring.

I think he gets a lot of hate from the metal crowd (seems 50% of Joey Jordison is the best drummer ever supporters hate travis and 50% of Travis is the best drummer ever supportors hate Joey Jordison ) as well as from poeple who are just really tired of poeple saying he's the greatest drummer to ever live.

Drumsrule05

Look, I like some Blink 182 stuff. I am by no means a "Travis Barker hater" and I don't think he's a bad drummer. His drumming is fun, energetic and interesting. But he's not amazing. He's really not that great. He's just a good punk drummer, and there is nothing wrong with that. But people think he's way better than he is.

Howepirate

Emm...punk is an easy style..his stuff is pretty easy...funk is easy...im pretty good at funk am i somewhere near the best at that genre no...is travis barker at punk yes...and hes a large influence to the punk community and a lot of drummers that just like to have fun and kick it behind a set of drums....is derek roddy near the top of the extreme music drummers yes do people look up to him..yes...just because his style is really hard and his chops and speed are top notch does not mean he should be bashed if his style and he himself got reeaallly popular like travis...if youre a true drummer you respect ALL styles!!

!

screamkevin

I'm not bashing Travis Barker at all, I think he's a tremendous drummer. Great feel, great grooves, and if you can inspire people, more power to you..

HOWEVER...

In my opinion (and it's mine), I think his drum sound sucks balls. Maybe I just don't prefer OCDP drums, I've never heard any that I liked.

Uh oh, I feel a rant coming on...

[rant]

I'm just tired of all the "punk" bands coming out that all sound the same, look the same, and all the drummers play the same kit configuration. It's funny to me how punk is about establishing your own identity, and standing out from the norm, yet if you took the top 30 punk bands in America and put the members in the same room, most people could not tell any of them apart from each other, with the possible exceptions of Green Day, Blink, and maybe *gags* Good Charlotte. And you'd pretty much have all the drummers having the same drum setup: a 24" kick, 12" rack, 16" floor, hi-hats, 2 20" Zildjian Sweet Rides used as crashes, a 22" Ride, and maybe a china. No imagination.

Punk is not the crap being put out on radio today. Blink/Boxcar/whatever, Good Charlotte, The Offspring, Moth, they're all the same band, and I think their music sucks. John Lydon could have a field day with these guys. And if you're a modern "punk" music lover and you don't know who John Lydon is, then God help you.

And for the record, I'm not a Joey Jordison lover, either. I have my issues with his playing as well.

[/rant]

Sorry.

nickbaldwin

Howepirate":3515x7uz said:
nickbaldwin":3515x7uz said:
Howepirate":3515x7uz said:
reeaallly popular like travis...if youre a true drummer you respect ALL styles!!

!
You say that like he only plays punk?

Not intended..thats just the style hes known for is what im saying :wink:
Ok sorry mate. Its just recently I've got heavily into his style and it is more than just straight punk.

Howepirate

nickbaldwin":2xlyofh0 said:
Howepirate":2xlyofh0 said:
nickbaldwin":2xlyofh0 said:
Howepirate":2xlyofh0 said:
reeaallly popular like travis...if youre a true drummer you respect ALL styles!!

!
You say that like he only plays punk?

Not intended..thats just the style hes known for is what im saying :wink:
Ok sorry mate. Its just recently I've got heavily into his style and it is more than just straight punk.
oh of course. he does bring a bit of some different styles into his playing. also why i believe hes a great player because he doesnt just stick to the straight punk beats. hes a blender like me lolz