OK, this is kinda crazy !!

dave lynch

I'm just wandering what goes through folks mind when they're creating music/drum rhythms and beats..I've been woking on a song that I'm writing on the guitar and when I play the drum beat to it I have deep thoughts going through my head..It's not just mathematics but a soul kinda thing...Anyway, my question is, Do you think music when you create drum rhythms, or do you think simple mathematics ?

SGarrett

dave lynch":8z1dj1z9 said:
I'm just wandering what goes through folks mind when they're creating music/drum rhythms and beats..I've been woking on a song that I'm writing on the guitar and when I play the drum beat to it I have deep thoughts going through my head..It's not just mathematics but a soul kinda thing...Anyway, my question is, Do you think music when you create drum rhythms, or do you think simple mathematics ?
I feel when I play and think when I listen back.

BillRayDrums

SGarrett":36hl75d9 said:
dave lynch":36hl75d9 said:
Bingo.

dave lynch

BillRayDrums":2l1a64p5 said:
SGarrett":2l1a64p5 said:
dave lynch":2l1a64p5 said:
Bingo.
OK..that's cool..But I mentioned when you create...We all feel when we play, but what about when you creat ?

SGarrett

dave lynch":2jbe8ets said:
BillRayDrums":2jbe8ets said:
SGarrett":2jbe8ets said:
dave lynch":2jbe8ets said:
Bingo.
OK..that's cool..But I mentioned when you create...We all feel when we play, but what about when you creat ?
I can't speak for Billy Ray, but that's how I create if I'm writing a part. I'll listen to the song a few times to get some ideas, play it a few times, and then listen back to see what worked and what didn't. From there I get more ideas until I get a finished product either I or the artist/engineer likes. I'm not really a thinking drummer. If I think I usually start playing for myself and inevitably lose the groove at some point. I try to react to the musical cues instead.

dave lynch

SGarrett":3tc9q5ly said:
dave lynch":3tc9q5ly said:
BillRayDrums":3tc9q5ly said:
SGarrett":3tc9q5ly said:
dave lynch":3tc9q5ly said:
Bingo.
I can't speak for Billy Ray, but that's how I create if I'm writing a part. I'll listen to the song a few times to get some ideas, play it a few times, and then listen back to see what worked and what didn't. From there I get more ideas until I get a finished product either I or the artist/engineer likes. I'm not really a thinking drummer. If I think I usually start playing for myself and inevitably lose the groove at some point. I try to react to the musical cues instead.
Awww..I'm sorry Garrett for not making myself clear..I mean to say something like this..let's say you're in a supermarket or on the street just walking around town ( Oh by the way say Hi to Sac for me..Thanks !! ) and you start thinkin of a rythem or a beat, Do you have music in your head at the time or do you just have a mathematical rythem ? I just seem to always think music and sometimes it might hold me back as far as drumming, but not musicly...!! Thanks !!

SGarrett

dave lynch":vzb6t2r9 said:
SGarrett":vzb6t2r9 said:
BillRayDrums":vzb6t2r9 said:
SGarrett":vzb6t2r9 said:
Bingo.
Awww..I'm sorry Garrett for not making myself clear..I mean to say something like this..let's say you're in a supermarket or on the street just walking around town ( Oh by the way say Hi to Sac for me..Thanks !! ) and you start thinkin of a rythem or a beat, Do you have music in your head at the time or do you just have a mathematical rythem ? I just seem to always think music and sometimes it might hold me back as far as drumming, but not musicly...!! Thanks !!
Ah, I thought you were talking about writing a part to record. I'm usually humming a little diddy to myself or trying to make paradiddles sound nifty on my chest.

dave lynch

SGarrett":28go8jyh said:
dave lynch":28go8jyh said:
BillRayDrums":28go8jyh said:
Bingo.
Ah, I thought you were talking about writing a part to record. I'm usually humming a little diddy to myself or trying to make paradiddles sound nifty on my chest.
Funny cuz that's where it all started with me..Poundin on my chest...Anyway thanks man !!

Lancelot Frosty

When I'm creating, I just feel the music I'm gonna have to play to.
If there's no music and I'm starting it, then I'll do something I feel like doing.
All about the feel in my case. XD

mortem

SGarrett":1ykfu7n7 said:
dave lynch":1ykfu7n7 said:
Beautifully put!

Johnny Cat

dave lynch":1p4m32e5 said:
Basically a good balance of left and right brained thinking gets me the best results. Intuition and feeling when writing something, then analyzing afterwards to arrange and weed out the parts that really don't work for me.

That's what makes music so beautiful as an artform AND as a science. It's the realization of both perfectly complimenting each other, science/math and art that makes a great song to me. Everything that is music fits together in terms of theory, because behind all of that is the physics of notes with frequencies and everything, and at the same time, when it's all put together right, it makes a connection with someone, anyone, that transcends all of that and is about something soulful, that science cannot nail down.

It's like trying to explain life. What is that spark that is called "life"?

FiestyRedDrummEr

I always think music.
But when it goes to transcribing it to paper i start to think mathematics.
My problem is, I'm not just all about drums beats and riffs. Ever since I was little I would get music "stuck in my head" and I go kinda anit social. My pratents used to think i had a lack of communication skills. But It was me just writting music in my head. I just hear stuff over and over until i finish a piece of music. I didn't really talk or function very well until i had the piece completed. It was really hard when I was younger. Cause I wouldn't focus on school, i wouldn't do normal kids things, like watch cartoons or play with friends. I'd just walk around humming music all day until i heard the final two chords.
Now i still get days like that, and i now have Finale on my computer so that i can just plug it all right in as i go. It doesnt disrupt my daily life, i kinda just set the music and chords aside in my head and then come back to it, but it takes me longer to complete something and I can do it for days on end. Weird huh?
So I always think musically.
I'm horrible at math. I got an F in my algebra class...er....
But lately I'm trying to think more math wise when i'm working on syncopation, or polyrythm.

break the prism

i tend to think of my most creative rhythms during meditation. for some reason that's how they come to me. i'm always in a deep, clear state of mind when it happens. this may occur because during meditation i listen to a lot of eastern music, which uses a lot of strange, complex rhythms foreign to western music.

JAdrums2k

I think music...... even when I'm creating a new pattern of just drums, I usually hear music with it. The mathmatics are already built into the music

dave lynch

JAdrums2k":2mobzdl2 said:
I think music...... even when I'm creating a new pattern of just drums, I usually hear music with it. The mathmatics are already built into the music
Now it's my turn to say Bingo...lol

GeorgeDemise

Another weird question which I wonder is how you see the drum parts in your head? To me I see like "this beat for 4 times, fill, into this beat" etc. But some of my friends think of everything in numbers and stuff. In my band we wrote a breakdown too, it took the others a while to work it out because they were working it out in groups of numbers. But I just think of it as different sections put together if that makes any sense?

I tend to put my drum parts together not by mathematics, but by music.
When I write my drum parts, I play the music in my head that would go with it.
I also write them in a way so that it accents what the music is doing, locking in with the guitars, etc, playing off the different parts, not just playing a straight beat through everything.

JAdrums2k

GeorgeDemise":3hnaof59 said:
Another weird question which I wonder is how you see the drum parts in your head? To me I see like "this beat for 4 times, fill, into this beat" etc. But some of my friends think of everything in numbers and stuff. In my band we wrote a breakdown too, it took the others a while to work it out because they were working it out in groups of numbers. But I just think of it as different sections put together if that makes any sense?
I do the same thing. I think that's part of hearing the music in your head and knowing how to "build" a song

ArthurMITP

all sorts of things go through my mind...from what does a drums beat look like. I draw pictures to remember a beat or fill that a made up.