OH NO!!! Tricky Tuning??!!

Musicfreak15678

I have 3 maple shell toms: 10, 12, and 14 inch. I can tune the 12 and 14 inch to my liking, which is JAW tuning (Just Above Wrinkle). However, I am finding it very difficult to tune the 10 inch tom to the low end JAW tuning. I am not asking how to tune it, but to see if toms 10 inches or smaller can be tuned to a low sound? Obviously I know its not going to sound like a cannon, but I just can't get it to where I like it. I am close though. Thanks!

drumjo7182

smaller toms can't go all that low without getting too dead of a sound, you have really small toms to be trying to get a low end sound, you might want to consider buying bigger

Rockula!

Heads play a huge part in the sound
I hate to keep pimping Emperors but I have to say that they are the head that has maintained musicality at the lowest tension
Most heads that involve some type of muffling tend to sound better when at medium or high tensions
Emperors and G2s have a bit more mass that is actually head material and none of the other material that is dedicated to muflling

Alcyon

I got the same problem, I used to have fusion-style toms (10" and 12") and I always found it impossible to get the 10" to sound good along with the other toms. I had to tune everything else up to meet it, which made my drums sound like tin cans. I'm not a pro or anything but I was sure happy to switch to a rock setup (12" and 13").

Musicfreak15678

I have an 8 inch as well. So, I think I will tune the 8 and 10 inch toms high and the 12 and 14 low. I think there is a term used when you tune a certain drum pretty high or something. Besides, having those two toms tuned higher will fit my guitar player's style. He plays acoustic. Thanks for the replies guys.