Off timing

tapeworm97

i really want to learn off-timing. like jazz style. Math metal for instince, can someone give me tips about off timing and/or jazz.

BillRayDrums

You're going to need to learn to count.

Do this-

Play R R R R very slowly. (That's 4 strikes on the right hand)

When you play R R R R count with each strike "1 2 3 4".

Now add your left hand to create this pattern: R L R L R L R L

4 rights, 4 lefts. Now count "1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &" (1 and 2 and etc...)

If you play the right hand on a floor tom and the left on the snare drum you will hear a difference in sounds and be tuned into the count.

Get an instructor!! Someone who will teach you to count. And reading music is an illustration of the count. It's math, applied in a musical sense.

Alan_

Learn how to read music. If you're interested in playing technically challenging material, chances are that most people you play with will read. I'm not sure what your technique level is, so not sure exactly what books I would recommend. The aforementioned Syncopation is an oldie but a goodie. The New Breed by Gary Chester is an amazing book, but kind of daunting for a beginner. Pracitice with a metronome. It's much easier when starting out to play syncopated rhythms if you can hear where "1" is.

Homki890

zen_drummer":1r3nsajs said:
Pick up a copy of Ted Reeds Synchopation, that should keep ya busy for 40 or so years.
Yeah, 40 sounds about right. You can spend an entire lifetime on one section of the book (pp.37-45 to be exact).

Syncopation, or "the Off timing thing" is probably the most difficult of all drumming aspects, because your entire body and mind is worked out. Limb independence, all four appendages doing something different at the same time, its a daunting task. But, get that book for starters.

Homki890

shrub

syncopation is the book i learned/am learning by, its great to follow at any skill you are, and it will defienatly make you a better drummer in all aspects of playing.

okjohne

A Sax player would call it playing out. Some dudes were born to do it. Who knows where they are one moment and boom back at one. The rest of us have to count and practice like crazy.

okjohne

BillRayDrums":xjcfx5b4 said:

Do this-

If you play the right hand on a floor tom and the left on the snare drum you will hear a difference in sounds and be tuned into the count.

Get an instructor!! Someone who will teach you to count. And reading music is an illustration of the count. It's math, applied in a musical sense.
Billy, good advice but you play like a dude who could always feel it. One day you figured out why and not the other way around.

BillRayDrums

okjohne":346lakys said:
BillRayDrums":346lakys said:

Do this-

Billy, good advice but you play like a dude who could always feel it. One day you figured out why and not the other way around.
You are absolutely right! I started out with crazy sounds and ideas and just played them as I heard them. It was not until way later in my game that I sat down and deciphered the task known as reading/counting.

Good call OKJohne
Come have a brew with me in Colorado....PM me and we'll set it up. Any of the rest of yous....let's hook it up

drumur

If you're talkin about odd time,
You can count 7 as
1+ 2+ 3 ++
in other words 1,2,3,+

Count 5 as
1+2++

or 1,2,+