Odd Influences?

REVEREND_HUDSON

We'va all laid sacrifices at the alter of Bonham, Weckl, Lombardo, Rich, Moon, Bozzio and all the obvious faves.

The question is this: Are there any obscure drummers that have influenced you that may not be so popular? Maybe from a one hit wonder band? Some obscure Indie Band? A band from the early 90 no one may know? A local band you caught one night in the middle of Nowhere, USA? A local band in your town? Perhaps a drummer that just sounds great but isn't all the crazy show that "Bozzio's" of the world are.

Voting for yourself doesn't count! :p What say you?

Scott_Hurford

heres some of my influences that arnt as popular as some drummers;

Taylor Hawkins
Dominic Howard

they may not be as heard of as the like of my other influences such and bonham and moon but these ones still influence me a hell of a lot

DrewDeLaPoots

Ray Herrera from the Fear Factory.
Alex Van Halen from (come on now).

yea alex van halen isnt UNpopular but i havent seen his name mentioned anywhere so i thought i'd put him out there. the intro to Hot For Teacher blows my mind each time and Ray Herrera is just a beast of a man.

REVEREND_HUDSON

Scott_Hurford":3vyq27f0 said:
heres some of my influences that arnt as popular as some drummers;

Taylor Hawkins
Dominic Howard

they may not be as heard of as the like of my other influences such and bonham and moon but these ones still influence me a hell of a lot
This may be a silly question....Who is Dominic Howard?

Here's a few you don't hear too often:

You guys remember Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden. Early in my drumming I listened to him like mad.

Hey what about Charlie Benante from Anthrax. I always thought he was great.

Ken Owen from Carcass was pretty cool.

m

Dom Howard = Muse

mine would include:

Budgie: Siouxsie and the Banshees/ the Creatures.

mark brzezicki: Big Country

very cool thread idea, btw...

REVEREND_HUDSON

m":18kuauj2 said:
Dom Howard = Muse

mine would include:

Budgie: Siouxsie and the Banshees/ the Creatures.

mark brzezicki: Big Country

very cool thread idea, btw...
Oh yeah, for real! Siouxsie. Forgot about him.
BIG COUNTRY - I think you took the lead on that one!

BRANN DAILOR - Mastodon. Anyone?

Here's one from left field. What about Cevin Cey from SKINNY PUPPY?

And thanks for the Kudos, bro.

Metropolis1021

-Derek Roddy(Mostly Independent at the time)
-Aquiles Priester(Angra)
-Marco Minnemann(Illegal Aliens)
-Thomas Lang(Independent)

nrlang86

My influences are so different from each other. I try to listen to many different styles, so this probably happened because of that.

These are some of my influences:
1. Billy Martin (Medeski, Martin and Wood)- my biggest influence. check out all of MMW's stuff, and then some of his solo work; very peculiar percussion compositions.

2. Glenn Kotche (Wilco)- very musical drummer. check out his "do it yourself percussion" in Modern Drummer.

3. Dale Crover (Melvins)- Powerhouse grunge drummer. I like the fact that his drums are huge! 26" bass, 16" rack tom, 24" floor! It sounds monstrous!

4. Jon Fishman (Phish)- Jams like no other. I just like his grooves, particularly "Limb by Limb", "Taste" and "Theme from the Bottom".

5. Han Bennink (Independent)- sick ass free jazz guru. Has a drumset made of cheese wheels!

the list could go on for hours.

Dee

I agree with Scott, Dom Howard is awesome, I love his style, Anyone heard of Craig Blundell? He is an UK clinician and session drummer, he is a big influence on me and my old boss Paul Brookes was a major influence on me, he is an amazing drummer, he founded the Midlands biggest drum school and used to do alot of session work and teaching. The guys style was just unbelievable!

m

there's a nice write-up on Dom in the new Modern Drummer, and Kotche's got some cool 'superball mallet' ideas.

Brann from Mastodon- monster! Yikes!

Dale

Well these days it seems an odd influence is anyone playing on an album over 20 years ago. I happened to mention Andy Newmark to the guys at the drumshop yesterday and received blank looks in return. I couldn't believe it. There just doesn't seem to be much interest in music that isn't current at this time. I think it's a real shame because so many great guys have recorded incredible tracks. John Bonham and Keith Moon weren't the only great drummers more than 20 years ago.

My influences include, I suppose virtual unknowns such as Zutty Singleton, Tony Williams, Art Blakey, Ray Bauduc, Louis Bellson, Davey Tough, Chick Webb, Stan King, Ray McKinley, Hal Blaine, Don Brewer, Joey Heredia, Mike Clark, Ziggaboo Modeliste, Cozy Cole, Allan Dawson, Joe Morello, Richie Hayward, Don Lamond, Mel Lewis, Billy Higgins, Mick Tucker, Jeff Watts, Jimmy Cobb, Billy Cobham, Lionel Hampton, Andy Newmark, Steve Jordan, Peter Erskine, John Guerin, Sonny Greer, Trilok Gurtu, Larry Londin.....There are so many.

zen_drummer

Dale":1s17313g said:
My influences include, I suppose virtual unknowns such as Zutty Singleton, Tony Williams, Art Blakey, Ray Bauduc, Louis Bellson, Davey Tough, Chick Webb, Stan King, Ray McKinley, Hal Blaine, Don Brewer, Joey Heredia, Mike Clark, Ziggaboo Modeliste, Cozy Cole, Allan Dawson, Joe Morello, Richie Hayward, Don Lamond, Mel Lewis, Billy Higgins, Mick Tucker, Jeff Watts, Jimmy Cobb, Billy Cobham, Lionel Hampton, Andy Newmark, Steve Jordan, Peter Erskine, John Guerin, Sonny Greer, Trilok Gurtu, Larry Londin.....There are so many.
Wow, man, I was going to list most of those... PLUS, Barrett Deems, Dave Garibaldi, Danny Seraphine, Michael Shrieves, Tom Roady, Buddy Miles...

In fact, I think I've been influenced by every drummer I have ever heard in some way... From the popular to the obscure. Some because I never want to play like them, others because they play so well and effortlessly I absolutely want to incorporate elements into my own style.

Jesse

Hosea Pasillas from Incubus. And Jeremy Taggart form Our Lady Peace. Just a couple pretty good guys that hardly ever get enough recognition

CrimsonSteel138

One of my biggest influences, and my favorite drummer, would have to be Mathias Straub, of the German Metal band Sacred Steel. He is an amazing drummer, and not very well known at all. Also another one of my favorites is Anders Johansson of HammerFall. He is amazing as well, he also has some drum solo videos up on youtube, go check him out, he is great. But yeah, those two are probably my favorites and they have the biggest influence on me.

Dale

zen_drummer":3hfqpga5 said:
Wow, man, I was going to list most of those... PLUS, Barrett Deems, Dave Garibaldi, Danny Seraphine, Michael Shrieves, Tom Roady, Buddy Miles...

In fact, I think I've been influenced by every drummer I have ever heard in some way... From the popular to the obscure. Some because I never want to play like them, others because they play so well and effortlessly I absolutely want to incorporate elements into my own style.
Oh yeah, I feel the same. Just think how many we could list. I even remember when the Spider album was released featuring Anton Figg. :) A mate of mine loved that album.

Michael Shrieve released one of my favourite albums, Stiletto. That's a real find. If I remember I bought it when it was first released as an import at a heavy metal music store in a little arcade in Melbourne that was run by the crazy German. We'd talk music music and he'd supply the Becks beer. :)

Of course those other guys like David Garibaldi, J R Robinson etc are all amongst the players I loved. You know how it is Zen when you're young and just gobbling up everything you can find. I actually made a concerted effort to listen to everything. I used to really spin my mother out when I'd play Bach and then Sly and Robbie. I bought some jazz home, I think it was Chick Corea or something, and she's "This is jazz??" And yet these days so many drummers seem to listen to only one type of thing. It seems a bit strange to me. If they've all got the same influences, how can they stand out from each other as individuals?

I reckon I'm just getting old and things aren't the way they were back in the good old days.....

Hang on, were there ever any good old days??? :)

Dale

Jesse":2f9oe500 said:
Hosea Pasillas from Incubus.
I made a point of checking this guy out. He's not bad. He seems to be influenced by Stewart Copeland and Neal Peart. I got a CD and their live DVD. I do try to keep up with what's going on. I have to check out Morgan Rose next. I've heard some great things about him. But I haven't had time to go to the record store. He's next on my list. And I reallywant to check out Zach Hill. I read the interview in MD and he seems interesting. I liked the transcriptions very much. But I'd like to hear how he's phrasing it. There's so much you just cannot get off the page.

Of course one of the beauties these days is that the old CDs are so cheap. Here in Australia you can pick up rereleased jazz CDs for as little as 5 bucks. The Dorseys, Goodman, Hampton etc etc. All with fabulous drumming. Man, just listen to Sonny Greer with Ellington. That's a friggin encyclopedia right there!

I reckon if some joker doesn't write a comprehensive history of the drumset, I might have to do it.

trowa012000

It might sound weird, but I've taken stuff from Les CLaypool, the weird slap and Pop stuff, it makes for some good drumming. I also love Tim Alexander. I have't seen anybody mention the Erlandson brothers Adrian and Danial. THey're pretty quick. One of my biggest though is Thomas Lang. I know he's quite mainstream, but it's damn good he is.

PaulZILLA

haha i think ihave one you guys wouldnt beleive. Dana Carvey. yes the actor. yes Garth from Waynes World. and the guy from Master Of Diguise. he may be a funny actor. but he can play drums better than most touring drummers these days. not to mention his individual style is somethin different all together. he is extremely talented. i advise you all to do some searching. he is one of my influences. other than that. there are alot of knowns listed above. many of which are so. although i dont recognize several of the above names. so that arent li sted above include but arent limited to; Andles from Chimaira, and Vinnie Paul from Pantera. and NO Niel Peart is not on my list. nor is Mike Portnoy. and if you even think Lars Ulrich made my list you have to be smokin somethin. those 3 are talented. well Peart and Portnoy more so than Ulrich. at least thats my oppinion. but they are more flash names and all that to me. they rely on their fame and doin the same things to be famous and known. they dont ever evolve. all of their stuff starts to sound the same. or is already done by many others.