Octobons

Timekeep69

I have 8 in my setup. I just built them a few months ago and haven't really worked them into my playing yet. Igor Cavalera used one in his set up.

dwtoast72

Timekeep69":frz969hw said:
I have 8 in my setup. I just built them a few months ago and haven't really worked them into my playing yet. Igor Cavalera used one in his set up.
I've seen him use them with soulfly!!! He lives in a world of tribal drumming!

Timekeep69

dwtoast72":2ihryshw said:
Timekeep69":2ihryshw said:
Igor isn't in Soulfly. Although Max and Igor are talking again and working on another project together. I'm stoked.

dwtoast72

Timekeep69":1kispm7u said:
dwtoast72":1kispm7u said:
Timekeep69":1kispm7u said:
Igor isn't in Soulfly. Although Max and Igor are talking again and working on another project together. I'm stoked.
pretty sure he was at a point, he was playing a tama forest green sclassic kit, at the house of blues, Myrtle beach

Timekeep69

dwtoast72":1jsnd8lr said:
Timekeep69":1jsnd8lr said:
dwtoast72":1jsnd8lr said:
Timekeep69":1jsnd8lr said:
pretty sure he was at a point, he was playing a tama forest green sclassic kit, at the house of blues, Myrtle beach
Nope. Igor has been a Pearl endorser for years. Max formed Soulfly after he left Sepultura. Max and Igor just started talking again last year after 11 years of not talking to each other over issues with Sepultura's old manager Gloria Cavalera (Max's wife). Max left Sepultura after the band fired Gloria and Max and Igor didn't speak to each other until last year when Igor left Sepultura.

m

I've got 2, and I dig the tones.
I think Stewart Copeland, Bill Bruford, and Tim Alexander are who sold me on wanting some.

dwtoast72

I've seen copeland use them quite well with the police. They weren't an active part of a tune, but for a break/bridge deal.

dwtoast72

I've been thinking about incorporating a couple into my kit, just not sure considering I haven't a clue what the future holds

anavrinIV

dwtoast72":262qfrlb said:
I've been thinking about incorporating a couple into my kit, just not sure considering I haven't a clue what the future holds
do you have any? ive wanted to get a set for a long time, even before i got into dream theater and heard portnoy uses them (and he uses them all the time). theyre really cool effect drums but i find it hard to justify the money to get them.

timekeeper, what would it cost to get a set of 4 acrylic octobans per tamas low pitched set specs?

3Dave3

Simon Phillips is also another avid use of them too. I've just finished building a set and find I'm using them to accent certain things now instead of using a splash hit for example, I'm not ever going to take them out for gigging but they're fun to use at home.

Dave...

m

I had mine wrapped to match my Tama kit, but I probably won't take them on the road either, they're hard to pack and transport. Fun recording with them, though.

I think I'll probably use my DW piccolo toms rather than try to take the octobans with me; they're much easier to position on the kit, and they can share a mic with the toms.

dwtoast72

m":3qbipyc2 said:
I had mine wrapped to match my Tama kit, but I probably won't take them on the road either, they're hard to pack and transport. Fun recording with them, though.

I think I'll probably use my DW piccolo toms rather than try to take the octobans with me; they're much easier to position on the kit, and they can share a mic with the toms.

that's an incredibly interesting positioning for those octos!! Not where I would expect to see them

m

dwtoast72":28qf2wwi said:
that's an incredibly interesting positioning for those octos!! Not where I would expect to see them
thanks very much! I have struggled with finding the optimum placement for my style, and so far that seemed best.
I think the flow of the toms shows a little better in the overhead shot:

I liked the octos there (they're the heads reflecting the most) because they helped connect the right side toms to the left,
I liked being able to intersperse them while working around from side to side. Having a centered hi-hat made it much easier to put them where I wanted.