OCDP

sjones180

im currently on my my second kit...which is dw pacific, mid range kit with zxt cymbals. But as i am getting more advanced i am thinking about upgrading.
I am planning to spend a good amount on something really nice...ocdp, dw or something like that.

im just wondering is ocdp all about the graphics, or are they genuinley good drums?

they look stunning, and realy pricey...but i dont now if i would be just paying for the looks.

what'd you think?

The Alien Drummer

I don't own either, but there have been several posts about them both. If you use the search function at the top of the page you should be able to find them.- Good Luck!

anavrinIV

with ocdp youre paying for a name and looks. go to epiarchdrums.com and check them out because in terms of sound theyll be almost identical to ocdp for about half the price. their finishes wont be as flashy but the drums are just as good. if youre looking for something with a little more distinction and not your run-of-the-mill "custom" drum set then look at the tama bubinga series and pearl reference. even pearl session custom drums (birch shells) sound much better to my ears than a standard maple shelled kit. dws arent worth the money either...again, youre paying for a name and there are "stock" kits that i feel sound much better than dws. ive played gretsch catalina birch sets that i thought had a better sound than nicely tuned dws with remo emperor heads.

if youre looking for high end drums then i suggest you take a look at pearl reference, tama bubinga, mapex orion, sonor delites, and if you want a truly custom kit then look at pearl masterworks...theyre the only real custom shells on the market now.

zen_drummer

anavrinIV":2k5b6qe8 said:
if youre looking for high end drums then i suggest you take a look at pearl reference, tama bubinga, mapex orion, sonor delites, and if you want a truly custom kit then look at pearl masterworks...theyre the only real custom shells on the market now.
Wow, that's not even close to true!

There are MANY custom shells on the market.

TRICK makes custom shells: www.trickdrums.com
HardBop: www.hardbopdrums.com
HighWood: www.highwooddrums.co.uk
Joshua Tree Drums: www.joshuatreepercussion.com
Apache Drums: www.apachedrums.co.uk
Lignum Drums: www.lignumdrums.com
Luka Percussion: www.lukapercussion.com
Rhythm King Drums: rhythmkingdrums.com
Solid Drums: www.handschuh-solid-drums.de
Whitney Drums: www.whitneydrums.com
Zickos Drums: www.zickosdrums.com

In Fact, there are so many, I'll bet I've missed dozens!

anavrinIV

when i said custom i meant that you could pick exactly what you want in your personal shell, not that theyre the only ones who make their own shells. maybe i was wrong, but i havent seen all the other companies that you mentioned so i didnt know about them. my mistake.

Rockaflodge

WE have had many talks about ocdp and dw, the fact remains that - YES!!! they are very good drums. YES!!! they sound good. YES!!! they are some of the best looking drums out there. BUT are they worth it NO!!!! and I am not just speaking from me, if you read all the post most of the drummers on here agree with me. You can get a kit that looks and sounds just as good or better for much less money. I love pearl and the Reference kit are the best sounding kit I have ever heard and you can buy one for less than a ocdp or dw kit and the tama starclassic's are very good drums too. Yamaha drums sound great to me too. BUT the main thing to remember is that "IT IS YOUR MONEY" buy what you want, because at the end of the day the only person you have to please is your self!

zen_drummer

brian":2jhx2v1u said:
i would like to play with one of the ocdp 45 ply snares!
Q: What's the difference between an OCDP 45 ply snare dum and a 10 ply snare drum?

A: The 45 ply drum BURNS LONGER.... :lol:

drumjo7182

DW are some real quality drums. OCDP are good drums, but it's all about looks really. they use keller shells like most "custom" drums companies. If you really want to look try www.sjcdrums.com. they use the same shells as OCDP and are just as customizeable for a fraction of the cost.

C&Cskyler

Thank god someone finally brought up C&C!!!!!! C&C's bass drums are cannons, snares are all around amazing, and you can hit the toms as hard as you want and they don't distort. Mine was about the same price as an OCDP

My C&C (snare, Kick, rack tom, two floor toms) cost $5,800 but i got 50% endorsement discount.

Here are some other custom companies

SJC drums
Truth drums
Ayotte drums
Udrums
six gun custom drums
apple drumworks
C&C drums

And Pearl, sonor, tama, and whatever other companies someone put are not top of the line drums at all. They are all mass produced in Taiwan or somewhere.

anavrinIV

C&Cskyler":1nd479ro said:
Thank god someone finally brought up C&C!!!!!! C&C's bass drums are cannons, snares are all around amazing, and you can hit the toms as hard as you want and they don't distort. Mine was about the same price as an OCDP

My C&C (snare, Kick, rack tom, two floor toms) cost $5,800 but i got 50% endorsement discount.

SJC drums
Truth drums
Ayotte drums
Udrums
six gun custom drums
apple drumworks
C&C drums

And Pearl, sonor, tama, and whatever other companies someone put are not top of the line drums at all. They are all mass produced in Taiwan or somewhere.
you have to be an idiot to think that mass produced drums arent top of the line...why would so many people buy them if they werent the best? personally i have a lot of experience playing a set of custom pork pies and ive played kits that cost 1/3 of the price that i thought sounded better. pearls reference series drums are the best ive ever heard...and how do you explain the masterworks? you order, they call you and find out what you want. ocdp is just another overpriced keller company that sells (sometimes) nice looking products for much more than its worth. i dont know about c&c. truth, udrum, six gun customs, and i believe apple drums are all keller shells too, along with pork pie, epiarch, conaway, risen, shine, phattie, spaun, kc/dc, marland...theyre run-of-the mill drums nowadays and you cant convince me otherwise. they may have subtle differences but deep down theyre all keller at the core.

Rockaflodge

anavrinIV said:
C&Cskyler said:

SJC drums
Truth drums
Ayotte drums
Udrums
six gun custom drums
apple drumworks
C&C drums

you have to be an idiot to think that mass produced drums arent top of the line...why would so many people buy them if they werent the best? personally i have a lot of experience playing a set of custom pork pies and ive played kits that cost 1/3 of the price that i thought sounded better. pearls reference series drums are the best ive ever heard...and how do you explain the masterworks? you order, they call you and find out what you want. ocdp is just another overpriced keller company that sells (sometimes) nice looking products for much more than its worth. i dont know about c&c. truth, udrum, six gun customs, and i believe apple drums are all keller shells too, along with pork pie, epiarch, conaway, risen, shine, phattie, spaun, kc/dc, marland...theyre run-of-the mill drums nowadays and you cant convince me otherwise. they may have subtle differences but deep down theyre all keller at the core.
Totaly agree!

truthkidkyle

all custom companies are essentially the same.
OCDP was pretty much the original, and they invented the vented snare.
they are quality drums, but everyone that uses keller shells and 45 degree angles sound the same.
except for truth and C and C. those two companies really have a different sound in my opinion. i own a truth kit now, but i had an OCDP custom snare and have had many friends that had OCDP kits and honestly, at this time, any custom company can make you a good kit, your just paying for the OCDP name.

andybfrank

Personally, I would research the actual differences between brands, custom or not, and go for what you like. I like the sound of 30 degree bearing edges better than 45, and I like maple better than birch. It turns out that Gretch makes maple drums with 30 degree bearing edges. If you don't care that your drums are assembled in Taiwan with Tawain-made hardware to the exact specifications as their American counterparts (which I don't), you can save a lot of money buying a Gretsch Renown Maple or New Classic as opposed to Gretsch USA Customs, or most of the custom drum companies. And if you don't care so much about having endless choices on lug style and finishes, and shell thickness (I don't - I think there are plenty of good choices among the factory finishes, lug styles, and I like 6-ply maple shells just fine), then you can get really great sounding kit for a lot less than what custom drum companies would charge you and a lot less than Pearl Masterworks, or other big company "custom" lines. Bottom line: go with what sounds good to you, unless you are totally set on some obscure style of lug and pot leaf shaped sound holes. But maybe that's what you are into, and if so, you have to ask yourself if it is worth the extra money for a really unique color or something like that.