Oak customs.

Eliminator

I had a mate that had one, Yamaha Oak Custom, i think theyve been discontinued now? Nice wee kit, all I remember is that there was some serious attack from the toms!

disrupt13

Yamaha still has them on their site, so I think they still make them,
I'm curiois to try one, though no store I have been carries them,
And I tried to find some clips on you tube but none did them any justice,

Asdex

Probably Yamaha is the only company that uses oak for drum and I heard that it has a similar sound to bubinga.

Timekeep69

I did an oak stave snare once, it sounded really good. I have a quilted oak stave shell I'm going to build for myself one day.

SGarrett

Oak's even harder than maple, so they project more and have more attack. But, they also have a slightly dark quality.

It's been a few years since I played on one though.

disrupt13

I would like a dark sounding lower rnd sounding kit, something thick, and I was wondering if those would work,

Which how you guys describe it sounds pretty good.

AmnestysLowEnd

I played a Yamaha Oak Custom about a year ago and even though the toms and bass were tunned high and uneven, they sounded huge. The hardware is soild and yamaha has pretty good edges IMO.

shrub

I played one with stock heads, but they can get really loud, i mean really loud like i thought they were monitered at first! , and with the right heads id imagine that theyed be an awesome set.

anavrinIV

they are very loud drums. I've heard them played and have played them before. from what I remember they are very punchy drums with more attack than anything else I've heard, but they aren't as full bodied or as deep as birch or maple. they weren't the drums for me but I can't say that they sound bad.

disrupt13

[color=#][/color]

I'd like to try one out, I'd like a birch, but who knows,

I got to test them before I decide, so I don't know, we will find out and ill let you all now

SGarrett

Keep in mind that the wood is only going to make up about 10% of your sound. Your head selection, tuning choices, and touch will determine the rest. :)

HeaveyDrummer

Man, these are such good drums, the sound is so well rounded. Just the right amount of punch and attack. They project amazingly have a beautiful, warm sound. I recommend these to Anyone!