• nylon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wood

• nylon/wood depending on situation

• Total voters

Carter

Just curious. Personally I do some switching between both. The nylon tip gives me the ride sound I like. They're great for rock / electric music. Wood tips are great for blues type stuff and softer ping on the ride. They provide a great feel for acoustic music.

paul89

I like play with nylon tips, when I play rock and similar species of music. I use wooden tips ,when I play reggae and lighter music :)

caulkie

Wood!!!

I feel that sticks are meant to last for as long as they can, if a stick is going to break then its going to break. With a nylon tip you cant tell if the stick is worn or not as the tip is always in good condition. With a wooden tip you get a better feel for the music you play, regardless of whether its rock/blues/jazz/techno etc... A nylon tip will not give you the feedback to tell youhow the stick is.

Now your all going to think I'm some weirdo stick feeler :lol:

prog_drummer_77

i love the feel of the Nylon tips on the cymbals way more than that of the wooden one, but after about a month or two of playing with them, the tips fly off! still love them though!

Shalaq

For now I use a nylon tip full time- even for jazz. I use a very light ride at this moment, and the nylon tip gives me a very sweet sound.
I use the nylons for 2 reasons:
- great sound out of the cymbals for almost everything
-durability
I use wood tips if I just want a darker sound on my cymbals. But in most of the situations I play I prefer bright sounds on cymbals. I play a lot with the tips(on chinas, crashes bells etc), so every hit has to cut through.

steveoverise

ive used both my personal favorite is the vic firth 5b wood tip. great weight great balance great durability. no nylon marks on my zcustoms so i recommend wood..

DrumKore

Wood. Really like the feel and the sound that I get. But it's strange that only the drummer really notice the different btw them when they used it.

Warrdogg

Nylon all the way. I used to hate them because I would always break the tip off. Wood tips always chip apart. I finally started playing Vater fatback 3A, and havent broken a tip yet, plus I love the sound nylons give me.

miren324

I use wood. I do remember when I used to use nylons that I liked the sound on the cymbals more, but the tips would always fly off, and I wouldn't notice until the end of the song, and then I'd have some dents in my tom heads from the flat edge of the wood underneath the tip. Now if I want a lighter sound, I'll just use a lighter stick. Heavy stuff, Vic Firth 2B wood tipped; light stuff, Vic Firth 7A wood tipped. But now that this topic was brought up, I might go get some nylon tipped sticks just to try them out again.

PureForm

I strictly use wood ... either 5A, but preferably 7A ... but I go through 7A's like college students go through beer. I don't like how nylon leaves crap on your cymbals that for some reason you can never get off. I'd like to know why manufacturers put nylon on their sticks in the first place.

Shalaq

PureForm":1jn3lsqk said:
I'd like to know why manufacturers put nylon on their sticks in the first place.
Maybe because some drummers prefer their cymbals to sound brighter and want their sticks to last a little longer :)

wolfsburg6674

im really not into nylon...ya crisper sound,bright cymbals blah blah blah....if you want a brighter sound get brighter cymbals...for me its vater chad smith funkblasters or vic firth buddy rich signatures....but funkblasters are the mainstays....rich is for jazz or ska

Rob the Drummer

My current stick of choice is the Vater Xtreme 5B Nylon. It all depends on the drummer and the gig of whether you like Nylon/Wood. It really up to the individual and what they are comfortable with. I prefer nylon on drumset and wood on marching snare. Of course the stick size and all that plays a role on what tips to use as well. Either way....happy drummings!

Shalaq

wolfsburg6674":1awuvuq3 said:
im really not into nylon...ya crisper sound,bright cymbals blah blah blah....if you want a brighter sound get brighter cymbals...
I think it's cheaper and more comfortable to just switch sticks. If I needed a bright and a dark sound or a dark washy sizzly sound and a bright sweet sound? For either cases I would have to carry 2 rides, very similar in character. But in my case I just switch sticks- light thin hardbeam stick with small wooden tip as opposed to thicker hickory stick with a nylon tip.
Another example- lets say you love the dark sound when you crash you cymbals, but you want a bighter attack to complement their crash sound? Another situation when nylon tips come in handy. You get a bright pingy attack but the sustain and all the other characteristics are of a dark cymbal. I love it.