not so sure

king_friday

i have heard lots of people on here say that thinner cymbals will stand up better to agressive playing than think cymbals. i question this, i am a very heavy hitter, and i have had many thin cymbals break on me (i had some A custom projection crashes only last me a couple months). however all the thicker cymbals i have had lasted a lot longer with the same level of playing.

SGarrett

The companies will tell you that themselves.

A thinner cymbal will be able to release its energy far more efficiently than a thicker cymbal. It's like the old saying, "the mighty oak will break in a storm while the weeping willow will bend and survive". I've seen Sabian's West Coast rep bend an HHXPlosion into a taco shell and it bounced back still playable.

If you're breaking cymbals it's your technique, positioning, and/or your stand wing nuts are too tight.

dbkman

ya thats true too. some cymbals are made to bend. but its not an issue of JUST thick or thin.

SGarrett

dbkman":2o82fxy4 said:
ya thats true too. some cymbals are made to bend. but its not an issue of JUST thick or thin.
That's why I mentioned technique, positioning, and wing nut tension. I've played both thick and thin cymbals. When a thin cymbal breaks, it cracks. When a thick cymbal breaks, you lose a chunk. It's physics.

dbkman

i had to come back to this thread because i was just playing another guys kit last night. ( garret, this will make you cringe ) this guy had the wing nuts SO tight on his cybmals, i hit them really hard and they did not move at all. they are solid. he thinks thats gonna help them....he's in for some broken cymbals eh? an they're A customs! its a crime im tellin ya.

dbkman

ya, i regret breaking that cymbal. it was given to me. but i just gave it back after i broke it. he said he had it replaced by the company ( which i could have done, GRR ) but its all good. im pretty happy with the XS 20's they dont sound bad at all. i just want some better ones

dbkman

garrett, here's a vid of me playin tell me what you think of the cymbals. i think they're nice and glassy

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/THHIhdLNos4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/THHIhdLNos4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>