No Resonant heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperKNc

New member
A couple guys I know prefer not to use resonant heads on their drums. In general, what is the difference in sound?
 

Howepirate

New member
HyperKNc":pu7ly92f said:
A couple guys I know prefer not to use resonant heads on their drums. In general, what is the difference in sound?
i cannot tell you absolutly how utterly important resonant heads are...reso heads make the drum RESONATE...hence the name...it makes the shell rebound the noise so you get a beautifully "full" sounding drum that sounds like a drum should....


you could take a perfectly sounding maple drumset diecast hoops normal shell sizes tuned correctly and take the reso heads off and the sound just falls out of the drum...they sound like dead sound...the sound lives for half a second and has no variance and tone....


LEAVE YOU RESOS ON...it doesnt matter if theyre beat up and dented and whatever because you were using them because your batter broke and needed a quick head...it will make your drums sound better no matter what
 

HyperKNc

New member
All right, thanks. I always prefered the sound of resonant heads myself. I think these guys are hearing the drum from the drummers standpoint, and not from a musical standpoint. They think it sounds good, but it blends and mixes like shit.
 

drummert2k

New member
HyperKNc":2wb7rmlk said:
A couple guys I know prefer not to use resonant heads on their drums. In general, what is the difference in sound?
if they perfer no reso heads they might either have cheap sets with lots of "filler" less expensive wood mixed into the plies or just have no concept of tuning.

the reso heads give your drums tone and life. no reso heads=no body.
 

Mike T

New member
The above posters are full of ____ fill in the blank drums with out the resonant head on are called concert toms they have a very loud and distict sound in the late 60's and through the seventies alot of groups played this way the reason was to be heard in the days before great micing and sound systems sometime a double stack of Marshalls would dround you out if you were not a hard hitter,you gained a ton of loudness without the reso heads on and the drums sounded fine ,For all the un educated Native americans of which i am one have played one sided drums for thousands of years and they are some of the best sounding loudest drums in the world... you young kids really need to read up a bit more on drum history,before condeming as stupid something someone else does...here is a picture from 1969 OMG my drums have no resonant heads..

 

Howepirate

New member
Mike T":335t1z17 said:
The above posters are full of ____ fill in the blank drums with out the resonant head on are called concert toms they have a very loud and distict sound in the late 60's and through the seventies alot of groups played this way the reason was to be heard in the days before great micing and sound systems sometime a double stack of Marshalls would dround you out if you were not a hard hitter,you gained a ton of loudness without the reso heads on and the drums sounded fine ,For all the un educated Native americans of which i am one have played one sided drums for thousands of years and they are some of the best sounding loudest drums in the world... you young kids really need to read up a bit more on drum history,before condeming as stupid something someone else does...here is a picture from 1969 OMG my drums have no resonant heads..


yeh i bet they sound wide open and like total crap...take your bs somewhere else moron...good sounding drums and some microphones with fix the "loudness"... ive played many sets without reso heads and the sound was dull short not musical...besides when those drums were used back in the day all their drums sounded like crap and all the drummers were crap as well...let your toms be musical...you can go screw yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

drummert2k

New member
Mike T":1o9crgsh said:
The above posters are full of ____ fill in the blank drums with out the resonant head on are called concert toms they have a very loud and distict sound in the late 60's and through the seventies alot of groups played this way the reason was to be heard in the days before great micing and sound systems sometime a double stack of Marshalls would dround you out if you were not a hard hitter,you gained a ton of loudness without the reso heads on and the drums sounded fine ,For all the un educated Native americans of which i am one have played one sided drums for thousands of years and they are some of the best sounding loudest drums in the world... you young kids really need to read up a bit more on drum history,before condeming as stupid something someone else does...here is a picture from 1969 OMG my drums have no resonant heads..
yes, back in the day before mics and even when miking drums consisted of over heads you needed a way to project your drums over the crowd.

but welcome to 2007. theres these great inventions called microphones so now we dont have to sacrafice tone for volume. we can keep the reso heads on so it sounds like a drum and use these fancy mic's to allow the PA to project the sound.

everyone knows all about the "no reso heads" era. dead, flappy tones. and in my opinion, if you think drums sound ok without reso heads you have no ear for tuning or arent open minded enough to get out of the concert tom era and listen whats going on with pretty much every drummer out there.

p.s. concert toms are used in drums corps and orchestras because they have a loud focused sound with no overtones or really any body. which re states my point. drum corps and orchestras dont use close micing on their drums.
 

Howepirate

New member
drummert2k":1snstpzy said:
Mike T":1snstpzy said:
The above posters are full of ____ fill in the blank drums with out the resonant head on are called concert toms they have a very loud and distict sound in the late 60's and through the seventies alot of groups played this way the reason was to be heard in the days before great micing and sound systems sometime a double stack of Marshalls would dround you out if you were not a hard hitter,you gained a ton of loudness without the reso heads on and the drums sounded fine ,For all the un educated Native americans of which i am one have played one sided drums for thousands of years and they are some of the best sounding loudest drums in the world... you young kids really need to read up a bit more on drum history,before condeming as stupid something someone else does...here is a picture from 1969 OMG my drums have no resonant heads..
yes, back in the day before mics and even when miking drums consisted of over heads you needed a way to project your drums over the crowd.

but welcome to 2007. theres these great inventions called microphones so now we dont have to sacrafice tone for volume. we can keep the reso heads on so it sounds like a drum and use these fancy mic's to allow the PA to project the sound.

everyone knows all about the "no reso heads" era. dead, flappy tones. and in my opinion, if you think drums sound ok without reso heads you have no ear for tuning or arent open minded enough to get out of the concert tom era and listen whats going on with pretty much every drummer out there.

p.s. concert toms are used in drums corps and orchestras because they have a loud focused sound with no overtones or really any body. which re states my point. drum corps and orchestras dont use close micing on their drums.
completely agreed :D
 

Rockula!

New member
You guys sure do know everything don't you?
Can anyone guess what drums Phil Collins used on one of the BIGGEST SOUNDING drum tracks ever? (In The Air Tonight)
Keith Moon used them too
Neil Peart used them
Chester Thompson used them
Eric Carr used them
Nicko Mc Brain used them
Peter Criss used them (OK forget I used him as an example)
Those people all used microphones too
All of those "dead flappy" sounding drums were made that way by people who wanted them to sound like that (just like all the drummers whose double headed toms sound like shit too)
A crappy tuning is a crappy tuning weather you have one head or two (especially if you have to use muffling to cover up your lack of tuning knowledge)

Seems like there's heads missing alright
They're up your asses
 

drummert2k

New member
Rockula!":3nb5qs9u said:
You guys sure do know everything don't you?
Can anyone guess what drums Phil Collins used on one of the BIGGEST SOUNDING drum tracks ever? (In The Air Tonight)
Keith Moon used them too
Neil Peart used them
Chester Thompson used them
Eric Carr used them
Nicko Mc Brain used them
Peter Criss used them (OK forget I used him as an example)
Those people all used microphones too
All of those "dead flappy" sounding drums were made that way by people who wanted them to sound like that (just like all the drummers whose double headed toms sound like shit too)
A crappy tuning is a crappy tuning weather you have one head or two (especially if you have to use muffling to cover up your lack of tuning knowledge)

Seems like there's heads missing alright
They're up your asses

notice every one of your examples you said "used" them. yeah, of course they used them. but do they anymore? last time i checked everyone of those drummers who you see playing today is using reso heads. now i know some of them do have some drums without but the main drums on their kits have the reso heads. everyone remembers when no bottoms heads was the big think. thats over now. and i can take a guess why.... the sound sucked.

so great attempt at a point there but seems like your examples are stuck in the 70's and 80's. try to do a little reading up on what people are using here in the good ol year of 2007
 

Howepirate

New member
Rockula!":12ac7elz said:
You guys sure do know everything don't you?
Can anyone guess what drums Phil Collins used on one of the BIGGEST SOUNDING drum tracks ever? (In The Air Tonight)
Keith Moon used them too
Neil Peart used them
Chester Thompson used them
Eric Carr used them
Nicko Mc Brain used them
Peter Criss used them (OK forget I used him as an example)
Those people all used microphones too
All of those "dead flappy" sounding drums were made that way by people who wanted them to sound like that (just like all the drummers whose double headed toms sound like shit too)
A crappy tuning is a crappy tuning weather you have one head or two (especially if you have to use muffling to cover up your lack of tuning knowledge)

Seems like there's heads missing alright
They're up your asses

Bravo Bravo...what a terrible argument because i hate all those drummers besides neil peart and i never saw him use concert toms except on his left side for really hi tunings..idk maybe cuz i didnt grow up with terrible drummers that had terrible drum sounds i guess my retort is inadequate but the drums of today sound so much prettier ... they have flow, their own tone, and they are volume controllable with mics! hah i think your outweighed old man :lol:
 

scrubs

New member
What a bunch of ignorant posts. Use whatever gets you the sound that you want...regardless of trends.
 

Eiren

New member
The original poster asked what the difference in the sound was. I believe that's been answered. I don't think the question of whether it is right or wrong was brought up.
 

Mike T

New member
Eiren":36q1c4rb said:
The original poster asked what the difference in the sound was. I believe that's been answered. I don't think the question of whether it is right or wrong was brought up.
Absolutly the thruth the question was answered, but Drummer 2k takes it upon himself to point out to the world what a arrogant A$$ he is ,the point is 2k that anyone can play their drums the way they want to and they can sound anyway they want them to and their is no wrong way, Rockahula was 100% correct, he gave alot of examples of people who played drums without reso heads and they made great recordings , which shoots down your lame excuse for a post against not doing it..For god's sake son give some other credit to other people in this world you are not and never will know it all neither will i or anyone else...this is drumming the oldest musical instrument in the world,there are zillions of ways of doing things yours and your ideas are not the only correct ones,neither are mine but at least i can see that others want to do it different and i think it is great .
 

drummert2k

New member
Mike T":3k92fspu said:
Eiren":3k92fspu said:
The original poster asked what the difference in the sound was. I believe that's been answered. I don't think the question of whether it is right or wrong was brought up.
Absolutly the thruth the question was answered, but Drummer 2k takes it upon himself to point out to the world what a arrogant A$$ he is
they still sound like crap. and if you dont like my posts then dont read them.
 

andybfrank

New member
I can't believe you are arguing over this. Did you know that recording manuals and text books to this day still recommend taking the resonant head off the bass drum for recording? What's the harm in trying it? I know this worked well for me when all I had to record with was my very first kt, a cheap Mapex. I personally can appreciate the Phill Collins tom sound and I would like to try it in some applications. Don't limit your creativity so much by thinking there is only one way to do things every time. By the way, don't be disrespecting Keith Moon.
 

Rockula!

New member
My original intent of this post was to point out how narrow minded the opinions of our friends were
Personally, I never cared for concert toms (I do think anything over 18" sounds better one headed)

Howe- You can step to me some day when you grow some drumming pubes
17 year old kids like you come into my shop every day and show absolutely no independant thought whatsoever
Your comments betray that fact
You never saw Neil Peart use concert toms because you were still shitting your diapers when he did play them
Keep your mouth shut until you know what you're talking about and go back to listening to whatever trendy crap has been fed to you
I think you have no experience to back up your statements
Punk ass kid

Ah yes
2k
My favorite sparring partner
Where do I begin?
Yup
They USED concert toms
Before people USED concert toms, they USED reso heads and then the trend shifted to concert toms (that's about 10/15 years time which, guess how long it has been since the 80's?)
So, all of the sudden,after playing concert toms for 15/20 years, guys like Neil Peart and Nicko Mc Brain just up and said "I have been completely ignorant this entire time!! I should have been playing resonant headed toms all this time?!?!?
HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SUCH A COMPLETE MORON?

Maybe they were bored with playing the same drums for 20 years and wanted to try something different

Have you opened a drum catalogue lately?
Drum catalogues display what is the current trend in that product
When some band blows up and makes a huge impact and the drummer just happens to be playing concert toms guess what?
The drum companies will start advertising them again
Most drummers today are just like the aforementioned 17 year old kids
They play what they see advertised
They play what they see the latest trendy band's drummer playing because all they can think about is being famous just like them
Hence the reason that EVERY band seems to sound like the little brother of whatever band is famous in the genre they like (remember the comments people were making about pop punk drummers? it applies across the board)

Imagine this (I know asking you to use your imagination is a difficult task)
Fucky Mc Fuckass gets big with his pop punk/screamo/emo/hardocre/goth/boyband etc..... recycled concept band and happened to pick up a set of concert toms at a pawn shop before they got big and used them until he got his $50,000 drumkit
Next thing you know, kids will be in my shop asking where they can get a set of concert toms

Things change and they do so in cycles

Do a little listening to people who have been in the business a little while longer than you and understand the circular behavior of trends
You may be thinking about good ol 2007
I'm thinking a few years ahead of you
Have fun living in 2007 a few years from now

As far as not reading your posts?
Where would I get my comic entertainment for the day?
You do make me chuckle
It's so cute when you act like you know what you are talking about with your adorable blanket statements and "guessing" why something sucks
 

drummert2k

New member
Rockula!":7vin2jka said:
My original intent of this post was to point out how narrow minded the opinions of our friends were
Personally, I never cared for concert toms (I do think anything over 18" sounds better one headed)

Howe- You can step to me some day when you grow some drumming pubes
17 year old kids like you come into my shop every day and show absolutely no independant thought whatsoever
Your comments betray that fact
You never saw Neil Peart use concert toms because you were still shitting your diapers when he did play them
Keep your mouth shut until you know what you're talking about and go back to listening to whatever trendy crap has been fed to you
I think you have no experience to back up your statements
Punk ass kid

Ah yes
2k
My favorite sparring partner
Where do I begin?
Yup
They USED concert toms
Before people USED concert toms, they USED reso heads and then the trend shifted to concert toms (that's about 10/15 years time which, guess how long it has been since the 80's?)
So, all of the sudden,after playing concert toms for 15/20 years, guys like Neil Peart and Nicko Mc Brain just up and said "I have been completely ignorant this entire time!! I should have been playing resonant headed toms all this time?!?!?
HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SUCH A COMPLETE MORON?

Maybe they were bored with playing the same drums for 20 years and wanted to try something different

Have you opened a drum catalogue lately?
Drum catalogues display what is the current trend in that product
When some band blows up and makes a huge impact and the drummer just happens to be playing concert toms guess what?
The drum companies will start advertising them again
Most drummers today are just like the aforementioned 17 year old kids
They play what they see advertised
They play what they see the latest trendy band's drummer playing because all they can think about is being famous just like them
Hence the reason that EVERY band seems to sound like the little brother of whatever band is famous in the genre they like (remember the comments people were making about pop punk drummers? it applies across the board)

Imagine this (I know asking you to use your imagination is a difficult task)
Fucky Mc Fuckass gets big with his pop punk/screamo/emo/hardocre/goth/boyband etc..... recycled concept band and happened to pick up a set of concert toms at a pawn shop before they got big and used them until he got his $50,000 drumkit
Next thing you know, kids will be in my shop asking where they can get a set of concert toms

Things change and they do so in cycles

Do a little listening to people who have been in the business a little while longer than you and understand the circular behavior of trends
You may be thinking about good ol 2007
I'm thinking a few years ahead of you
Have fun living in 2007 a few years from now

As far as not reading your posts?
Where would I get my comic entertainment for the day?
You do make me chuckle
It's so cute when you act like you know what you are talking about with your adorable blanket statements and "guessing" why something sucks
ahh, your overly long story changed my mind and outlook on reso heads.... actually no, it didnt.

taking the reso heads off to me makes the drums sound like crap. i said "TO ME" they sound like crap.

i like hitting the drum and not only hearing the attack but also hearing the true sound and body and fullness of the drum.

bass drums in the studio can get a great sound with no front head. smaller toms can be cool with no reso's. and 18 or 20 inch drums can be cool with no resos. but not the main toms. why spend top dollar on great drums with special woods and configurations to just kill the sound by taking the reso off. just my opinion.

and Rockula, i by no means consider you a sparing partner or whatever you said. i really dont care if i impress you or you think i know what im talking about. im living off playing drumming, giving lessons, get hired for live and studio work, building/repairing them, playing out with my bands. for now its paying the rent. i know im not the best or most knowledgeable drummer out there but i do my homework when it comes to drumming. playing wise and knowledge wise.

and im glad you get a laugh out of my posts. i dont mind you laughing at my expense to make youself feel good. i have thicker skin than to get worked up about something stupid like that.
 

Howepirate

New member
Rockula!":4flw87js said:
My original intent of this post was to point out how narrow minded the opinions of our friends were
Personally, I never cared for concert toms (I do think anything over 18" sounds better one headed)

Howe- You can step to me some day when you grow some drumming pubes
17 year old kids like you come into my shop every day and show absolutely no independant thought whatsoever
Your comments betray that fact
You never saw Neil Peart use concert toms because you were still shitting your diapers when he did play them
Keep your mouth shut until you know what you're talking about and go back to listening to whatever trendy crap has been fed to you
I think you have no experience to back up your statements
Punk ass kid

Ah yes
2k
My favorite sparring partner
Where do I begin?
Yup
They USED concert toms
Before people USED concert toms, they USED reso heads and then the trend shifted to concert toms (that's about 10/15 years time which, guess how long it has been since the 80's?)
So, all of the sudden,after playing concert toms for 15/20 years, guys like Neil Peart and Nicko Mc Brain just up and said "I have been completely ignorant this entire time!! I should have been playing resonant headed toms all this time?!?!?
HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SUCH A COMPLETE MORON?

Maybe they were bored with playing the same drums for 20 years and wanted to try something different

Have you opened a drum catalogue lately?
Drum catalogues display what is the current trend in that product
When some band blows up and makes a huge impact and the drummer just happens to be playing concert toms guess what?
The drum companies will start advertising them again
Most drummers today are just like the aforementioned 17 year old kids
They play what they see advertised
They play what they see the latest trendy band's drummer playing because all they can think about is being famous just like them
Hence the reason that EVERY band seems to sound like the little brother of whatever band is famous in the genre they like (remember the comments people were making about pop punk drummers? it applies across the board)

Imagine this (I know asking you to use your imagination is a difficult task)
Fucky Mc Fuckass gets big with his pop punk/screamo/emo/hardocre/goth/boyband etc..... recycled concept band and happened to pick up a set of concert toms at a pawn shop before they got big and used them until he got his $50,000 drumkit
Next thing you know, kids will be in my shop asking where they can get a set of concert toms

Things change and they do so in cycles

Do a little listening to people who have been in the business a little while longer than you and understand the circular behavior of trends
You may be thinking about good ol 2007
I'm thinking a few years ahead of you
Have fun living in 2007 a few years from now

As far as not reading your posts?
Where would I get my comic entertainment for the day?
You do make me chuckle
It's so cute when you act like you know what you are talking about with your adorable blanket statements and "guessing" why something sucks

Hah dude what are you 40 yrs old, overweight, and think everything youve ever played has and original concept and design cuz if you did do such a thing i think your name would be advertised on drummerworld.com or sickdrummer.com (being whatever your musical taste is)

I make fun of pop pun/screamo/goth/hardcore(lmao NO talent in those bands)/boybands..all that crap. I listen to death metal, funk, progressive(true progressive), rock, metal, black metal, alternative, well all in all theres 91 genres on my itunes and i still havent added all the music i could put on there that i have. I have a very colorful pallet behind my musical tastes and i respect all music cuz im a musician..not some dumb get who can beat out a few beats and becomes an arrogant fool like his other drummer buddies.


Yeah im 17 and with all the knowledge i have (which can only grow..and i do admit needs experience behind it) i have many many years to develop many musical talents that i will use to the best of my ability..sorry your worn out and dont have as many years ahead of you as i do. Sorry im young full of life, desire, chops, technique, and musical abilities still in development.


Sorry i have an opinion backed by another dude who knows EXACTLY what im talking about that i think i read somewhere devotes his time to learning different aspects of drumming and the products associated with it....


Sorry your just outweighed..concert toms have no life or body the sound just runs away and has no body ....i cant tell you how important it is to have a bit of ring in a drum it makes the other ones blend together..not of course a terrible ringing but a baby buzz to flow to the other toms...not just this dead sound that doesnt do anything but make you wanna play faster so you dont lose the sound as fast...but whatever dude you wanna pick on my age and experience go ahead...theres my retort..civil, not cursing and dirtying the forum board
 

Mike T

New member
Howepirate wrote <><>
Hah dude what are you 40 yrs old, overweight, and think everything youve ever played has and original concept and design cuz if you did do such a thing i think your name would be advertised on drummerworld.com or sickdrummer.com (being whatever your musical taste is)

I make fun of pop pun/screamo/goth/hardcore(lmao NO talent in those bands)/boybands..all that crap. I listen to death metal, funk, progressive(true progressive), rock, metal, black metal, alternative, well all in all theres 91 genres on my itunes and i still havent added all the music i could put on there that i have. I have a very colorful pallet behind my musical tastes and i respect all music cuz im a musician..not some dumb get who can beat out a few beats and becomes an arrogant fool like his other drummer buddies.


Yeah im 17 and with all the knowledge i have (which can only grow..and i do admit needs experience behind it) i have many many years to develop many musical talents that i will use to the best of my ability..sorry your worn out and dont have as many years ahead of you as i do. Sorry im young full of life, desire, chops, technique, and musical abilities still in development.


Sorry i have an opinion backed by another dude who knows EXACTLY what im talking about that i think i read somewhere devotes his time to learning different aspects of drumming and the products associated with it....


Sorry your just outweighed..concert toms have no life or body the sound just runs away and has no body ....i cant tell you how important it is to have a bit of ring in a drum it makes the other ones blend together..not of course a terrible ringing but a baby buzz to flow to the other toms...not just this dead sound that doesnt do anything but make you wanna play faster so you dont lose the sound as fast...but whatever dude you wanna pick on my age and experience go ahead...theres my retort..civil, not cursing and dirtying the forum board <><>

Well you got one part right so i know there is hope for you yet you have no experience nothing wrong with that it will come in time , BUT when you say that everyone who played concert toms was CRAP and that their music was CRAP the only one looking really bad is YOU! You could not carry the Jock strap of most of the great drummers from the 60's and 70's and they still play circles around most everyone today, don't get me wrong there are great players,today as well but they benifit more from todays technology than people from the 60;s and 70's...the ones that are great today that are from the 60's and 70's truly earned it No MTV ,NO VH1 just months of road tours setup take down for a pitence of what these spoiled boys get today...so take it easy on those that came before you you never know you just might learn something if you listen... OH i am 56 and have been playing longer than two of your lifetimes i know a little but no one knows it all...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top