No one knows by queens of the stone age

grey_fox

i was just wondering what Dave does on the third fill in the chorus i just can't seem to clock it, it sounds like really fast flamming on the snares and toms but the live videos i have seen don't really show it that well

anyone know??

thanks

Scott_Hurford

u talking about the part going bk and forth from snare to rack tom?
from what i know, and from trying it it should go as follows;

(T = Rack Tom, S = Snare, F = Floor Tom)

T -------oooo-------oooo-------oooo-----------
S oooo-------oooo-------oooo-------oooo-----
F------------------------------------------------oooo

From what i know this is correct, i've tryed it many times and it feels right BUT i'm not 100% sure.
If your looking to play this song, use that tab above ^^^^ its pretty much correct

grey_fox

it looks similer but like i said it kind of sounds more like flams than just straight 4 hits on each its confusing!

Scott_Hurford

yeah i know what u mean, it sounds like flams to me too, i'm not sure exactly how he does it, but thats the only way i can think of playing it to suit the sound he creates :roll:

grey_fox

damn Mr Grohl for being such an awesome drummer! my god is he good playing guitar aswell! Foo Fighters RULE!

Scott_Hurford

i know :D Dave Grohl's my BIGGEST hero ever, not just in drums but in everyting else aswell.
And foo fighters do rule! :p

Dee

Yeah it's triplets

RLR=SNARE
LRL=TOM
RLR=SNARE
LRL=TOM
RLR=SNARE
LRL=TOM
RLR=SNARE
LRL=TOM

That's what is sounds like from listening to it, and thats what i play when i play it, and it goes!

Hope this helps :)

Scott_Hurford

Dee":4k221ma3 said:
Yeah it's triplets

RLR=SNARE
LRL=TOM
RLR=SNARE
LRL=TOM
RLR=SNARE
LRL=TOM
RLR=SNARE
LRL=TOM

That's what is sounds like from listening to it, and thats what i play when i play it, and it goes!

Hope this helps :)
thts exactly what i thought it was when i first listened to it, but it seems way to slow to me. have u seen him play it live? he gets about 5 notes in per drum so live its close to e.g.

RLRLR = Snare
LRLRL = Tom

Etc...

BUT i'm still not 100% on this, kinda an awkward beat to figure out, but he's plays it VERY fast live

grey_fox

well my drum teacher showed me and it sounds wuite dead on it is

*F= Flam

FLRL pattern on snare and toms

and he also tried it with a triplet with an accented note

rlrL and so on

Dee

I'm sure it's triplets, he may drag the first note to lead into it, I don't know for sure, I have never really listened to it properly. If he plays 4 notes on each drum it will sound too straight, unless he flams the first note of each Like so...

F= Flam

FRL FRL FRL FRL FRL FRL FRL FRL

The fill has definatly got a triplet feel to it from what i remember, Accent every note at the beginning of each triplet

Rlr Lrl Rlr Lrl Rlr Lrl Rlr Lrl

See if that's it, if not try the Flam at the begiing of each triplet instead of of the accents!

It's definatly one of these!

piratejim

Hi Guys,

I believe Dave plays what is known as the Cobham Rudiment made famous by Billy Cobham.

Its a triplet with an extra 16th stuck in after the first stroke. So it plays like this:-

Snare - RLR-L
Tom1 - RLR-L
Snare - RLR-L
Floor - RLR-L
X2

Played slow it sounds a little odd, but once you build up the speed you'll see it fits.

Hope this helps,

Jim

SlackBackLazy

I was told that it was two semi quavers and then two demi-semi quavers on the snare, then top, then snare, then top, then snare, then mid, then floor

TheYardstick

This is the song that inspired me to play drums.

I can't explain it, because my knowledge of notation isn't too great, but it's sort of like play a quadruplet in triplet time.